A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Great Basin Soaring

Old January 21st 19, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]
external usenet poster

Default Great Basin Soaring

Has anybody been following the proposed Fallon airspace expansion?

They want to launch long range weapons through some of the airspace that a lot of us have been using for long flights. My fighter pilot friends say that they fire the new guided weapons a long way from the target, less likely they’ll be shot down during the attack.

We’re allowed into MOAs but looks dangerous to me. I heard that the last time this was attempted, it was stopped by a bunch of ranchers with the help of senator Senator Reid.

EIS comment period still open. Environmental Impact Statements look at the impact of the proposal on people in the area so we can leave comments on how it would affect us.

https://frtcmodernization.com/

Jim Dingess
Boulder City, Nevada
Old January 21st 19, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Yes, you can fly in an MOA, active or not, but it's best to check to see
if they're working around your altitude.

On 1/21/2019 12:40 PM, Jim wrote:
Has anybody been following the proposed Fallon airspace expansion?

They want to launch long range weapons through some of the airspace that a lot of us have been using for long flights. My fighter pilot friends say that they fire the new guided weapons a long way from the target, less likely they’ll be shot down during the attack.

We’re allowed into MOAs but looks dangerous to me. I heard that the last time this was attempted, it was stopped by a bunch of ranchers with the help of senator Senator Reid.

EIS comment period still open. Environmental Impact Statements look at the impact of the proposal on people in the area so we can leave comments on how it would affect us.

https://frtcmodernization.com/

Jim Dingess
Boulder City, Nevada

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 21st 19, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Yes, you can usually get an "operating altitude" on a lot of MOA's. Otherwise, if peeps, or their friends, are AOPA members, ping AOPA and SSA and let them know your thoughts and concerns.
Old January 22nd 19, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

I sure hope they look at their radars for transponder or ADSB targets before they launch those weapons. One more reason to fly with transponder, or better yet , ADSB.

Ramy
Old January 22nd 19, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 21, 2019 at 9:36:16 PM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:
I sure hope they look at their radars for transponder or ADSB targets before they launch those weapons. One more reason to fly with transponder, or better yet , ADSB.

Ramy

As everywhere else, MOAs are no big deal. The proposed ATCAAs appear to be "Grand Theft, Airspace" and will impact soaring in the Great Basin.
Jim

https://frtcmodernization.com/portal...6_Airspace.pdf
Old January 22nd 19, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I responded to this Draft EIS about a month ago. I encourage others that may be impacted to do so as will - while the comment period is still open.
I thought I kept a copy of what I wrote, but I can't seem to find it. As others have suggested, I am willing to give them whatever MOA's they need. I just emphasized the negative impact the new restricted airspace would have on sailplane flights through the area, pointing out that narrow corridors between restricted areas do nothing for sailplanes that have to follow lift and maintain safe landing sites. I also pointed out that the new restricted areas are reaching out into commonly used sailplane transit areas. And finally, I pointed out that their outreach program had not reached far enough, with sailplanes coming through the area from many miles away.
JS, I don’t think the ATCAA’s are significant to us. These areas overlay the MOA’s. They’re all based at 18,000 and extend up from there. I think this just defines how they’ll manage IFR traffic though the area.
Mike Koerner