flarm mouse or powerflarm

Old January 22nd 19, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mart mart is offline
Junior Member

Default flarm mouse or powerflarm

Hi all,

I am thinking about upgrading my flarm. Both the PowerMouse as the PowerFlarm have a bigger reach and they show the climb rates of other pilots.

I wonder which one is the better unit. I don't like the regions that come which the PowerFlarm as I fly both in Europe and Australia but I don't know of other differences. Are they both reliable?

regards,

Mart
Old January 22nd 19, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Matt,

besides the slight difference in price (PowerMouse being ~100€ cheaper in the basic version), the only difference of significance seems to be the source for FLARM updates. Any PowerFlarm-updates from flarm.org website will work in the PowerFlarm. But for the LX device, you will need to download the updates from LX. So there might be a slightly longer update cycle for these devices. In terms of hardware enhancements, both devices seem to have the same capabilities.

If you need a device that works globally, you may want to take a look at the Air traffic unit from Air avionics. It's significantly more expensive, though.

Glider climb rates can also be visualized using older Flarm devices as data source. It's rather a question of the display in use then the Flarm.

Regarding reliability, I have no experience with PowerMouse. But we are operating a couple of PowerFlarm units since a few years without any troubles.

Best,
Christoph
Old January 23rd 19, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

One nice feature of the PowerMouse is that it has a built-in bluetooth module, so it can wirelessly transmit flarm and GPS data to a display device (such as Oudie or Android) running your preferred navigation software. It then has two RJ ports that can be used to connect it to a Flarmview or other display.

The Power Mouse is about 1/4 the size of the Powerflarm core unit which can be an advantage when space is at a premium.

The LX Navigation Flarm Eagle is another option and it is even smaller than the PowerMouse, but does not have the bluetooth capabilty.
Old January 23rd 19, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 3:12:37 PM UTC-8, Dave Springford wrote:
One nice feature of the PowerMouse is that it has a built-in bluetooth module, so it can wirelessly transmit flarm and GPS data to a display device (such as Oudie or Android) running your preferred navigation software. It then has two RJ ports that can be used to connect it to a Flarmview or other display.

The Power Mouse is about 1/4 the size of the Powerflarm core unit which can be an advantage when space is at a premium.

The LX Navigation Flarm Eagle is another option and it is even smaller than the PowerMouse, but does not have the bluetooth capabilty.

The Power Mouse is a newer design and probably a better choice for the OP's Europe/Australia use.
I've been intrested in this device too. Power Mouse was waiting for FCC certification at a bad time, so unfortunately not for use in USA.
Dave, has it been certified in Canada?
Jim
Old January 23rd 19, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

FCC certification is in progress. The testing is being done by an approved lab in Slovenia and then results of the tests go to the FCC for approval.

Can't predict when approval will happen, but hopefully in time for the Northern Hemisphere soaring season.
Old January 24th 19, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mart mart is offline
Junior Member

Hi all, thanks for the answers.
One other big difference is that in Australia the powerflarm is $385 more expensive. I really like the bluetooth since I run xcsoar as an optional next to my oudie which i think has a too small display. Mart
Old January 25th 19, 07:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RW[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 9:09:21 PM UTC-5, Dave Springford wrote:
FCC certification is in progress. The testing is being done by an approved lab in Slovenia and then results of the tests go to the FCC for approval.

Can't predict when approval will happen, but hopefully in time for the Northern Hemisphere soaring season.

Dave, can PowerMouse see ADS-B traffic like PowerFlarm now ?
Ryszard
Old January 25th 19, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]

On 25/01/2019 06:48, RW wrote:
On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 9:09:21 PM UTC-5, Dave Springford wrote:
FCC certification is in progress. The testing is being done by an approved lab in Slovenia and then results of the tests go to the FCC for approval.

Can't predict when approval will happen, but hopefully in time for the Northern Hemisphere soaring season.

Dave, can PowerMouse see ADS-B traffic like PowerFlarm now ?
Ryszard

The PowerMouse is based on a new PowerFlarm chipset I believe and has
various options

1)Single Flarm anntenna
2)Two flarm anntennas
3)ADS-B in

See https://gliding.lxnav.com/products/powermouse/

--

Nick Hill
Old January 26th 19, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Ryszard,

The basic PowerMouse is like the flarm pure.

You can add an ADS-B license to the Mouse to get that functionality too.

We are also working on getting the Mode C warnings too.

With these enabled, it will be like a Powerflarm core in terms of what targets it will see and report.