GPS week rollover issue

Old February 10th 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default GPS week rollover issue

This raises a question with me.Â* I've often heard that Cambridge started
the whole GPS flight logging thing.Â* If that is true, why did FAI come
up with a different file structure?Â* If it is true, why not simply use
the Cambridge file?Â* Is it not "secure" enough?

On 2/10/2019 7:34 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 2/9/19 9:31 AM, JS wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 7:45:06 AM UTC-8, Tim Newport-Peace
wrote:
At 03:16 09 February 2019, kinsell wrote:
On 2/6/19 7:57 PM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 9:00:44 AM UTC-8, Jonathan Foster
wrote:
I just came across this interesting page:
https://www.orolia.com/resources/blo...gps-2019-week-
rollover-what-you-need-know

On April 6th of this year the GPS week will roll over and on some
older
instruments it could mess up the date. How many of our soaring
instruments
might have this problem?

I'm guessing that will be the final end of my 1994 Cambridge Model
10.
(It's already had the battery replaced, of course)

I've got a 1996 era Garmin backpacker gps still holding the correct
date.Â* Internal battery was replaced under warranty about 22 years
ago.

I'd be surprised if it suddenly got the wrong date on April 6, but
really doesn't matter anyway.Â* Lots of old Volksloggers got hit
with the
date problem, maybe they'd be more subject to failure if any of
them are
still in use.

Most of the Volksloggers were made with the Garmin GPS25 Engine,
same as
legacy Cambridge.

One rollover problem the Volkslogger doesn't have is due to the
robust chassis.
It makes a good wheel chock.
Jim

At least the Volksloggers put out actual IGC files.Â* The Models 10,
20, and 25 should have been relegated to wheel chock duty long before
the Volksloggers.

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 10th 19, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:32:19 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

This raises a question with me.Â* I've often heard that Cambridge started
the whole GPS flight logging thing.Â* If that is true, why did FAI come
up with a different file structure?Â* If it is true, why not simply use
the Cambridge file?Â* Is it not "secure" enough?

Did the Cambridge file include baro height as well as GPS?
What about the task, pilot, glider and other stuff in the header, i.e.
A,C and H records?

FWIW, now that the use of finish rings and variable barrel size
turnpoints is becoming common in some countries the IGC 'C' records
(which list the start and end of a task as well as the turnpoints) really
need extending to allow the logger to record the type and size of all the
items that define a task, especially where variable barren sizes are used
in a handicapped event.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old February 10th 19, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]

At 17:14 10 February 2019, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:32:19 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

This raises a question with me.Â* I've often heard that Cambridge

started
the whole GPS flight logging thing.Â* If that is true, why did FAI come
up with a different file structure?Â* If it is true, why not simply use
the Cambridge file?Â* Is it not "secure" enough?

Bob Fletcher (General Manager of Cambridge Aero Instrument) and Hans
Trautenberg came up with it in 1993-4.

Did the Cambridge file include baro height as well as GPS?
What about the task, pilot, glider and other stuff in the header, i.e.
A,C and H records?

Of course.

FWIW, now that the use of finish rings and variable barrel size
turnpoints is becoming common in some countries the IGC 'C' records
(which list the start and end of a task as well as the turnpoints) really

need extending to allow the logger to record the type and size of all the

items that define a task, especially where variable barren sizes are used

in a handicapped event.

No, not really. The C-records are for defining Tasks in accordance with The
Sporting Code, which defines barrel radii and are not variable.

Old February 10th 19, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks.Â* Way more complex than needed for my flying - completed my
diamonds with camera and barograph.Â* Now I just fly for fun and use
OLC/Skylines to extract the data for my logs.

Old February 10th 19, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

No real clue on GPS engine rollover, but I have dealt with other date issues.

Yes, I did most of my badges with a camera and a Replogle. Due to processing errors, I started doing my own film processing. I also developed other badge flights for our club until a club member (who was a pro photographer and could dump in a film load for almost nothing), sorta, "been there, done that".