Schweizer 1-36

Old July 2nd 05, 05:35 AM
Jack

Default Schweizer 1-36

In researching the available 'Net-data on the SGS 1-36, I've noticed that of
the 44 serial numbers in this model's production run, there is FAA, NTSB, or
Canadian registration database info on all except #13. Interestingly
(perhaps), current FAA registration info for all Schweizer gliders indicates
there are ten serial number #12's, and eight #14's, but only two #13'S (a
2-8 & a 2-22) still registered in the US. At some point Schweizer must have
decided that putting out a #13 was a bad public relations choice, much as
many buildings do not have a thirteenth floor.

The #1 SGS 1-36 has been a NASA/Dryden Research Center experimental platform
for virtually its entire life, and the last in the run, #44, is still
registered to Schweizer Aircraft.

Another tidbit of interest with regard to the SGS 1-36 is that of the 41
aircraft supposedly in the hands of recreational glider pilots, thirteen
have been the subject of NTSB accident reports, including three fatals. One
of these fatal accidents may have occurred prior to the aircraft being
delivered to a customer [a test-flight accident?], i.e., #42, N3622E, on
08/25/1984, at Elmira, NY. Eight aircraft have been in some manner
destroyed, though only seven of these appear linked in the NTSB or FAA
records to an aviation accident. Possibly the eighth was in ground
transportation or some other non-operational loss.

I expected a much lower than nearly one-in-five hull loss ratio on a medium
performance sailplane design, even if it is 25 years old -- but I have not
yet looked at the numbers for other types. Does anyone out there have some
personal knowledge to share WRT to the "Sprite"?

Jack

Old July 2nd 05, 07:46 AM

Having flown a 1-36, I'm not surprised so many have been wrecked. Some
of the wrecks may have been intentional.

Old July 2nd 05, 11:27 PM
Maule Driver

I took a couple flights in one at Calistoga (80s). The only glider I
ever flew that was just plain unpleasant and frustrating to fly. Heck,
a 2-22 is more fun.

Anyone have an opinion on the best flying Schweizer product? 1-34 is my
vote.

Wallace Berry wrote:
Some of the wrecks may have been intentional.

LOL!
I've flow two 1-36's. The first was nearly brand new, on leaseback at
the old Bermuda High Soaring (Fred McFawn/Wayne Hatcher era). Worst
handling glider I have ever flown. The second was just as bad.

Old July 3rd 05, 04:17 AM
Roy Bourgeois

I owned N620Y with other partners for a few years in the late 80s. It had
been rebuilt from a wreck in New York. Performance was similar to the 1-34,
LP-49 and Blanik L-33 types.Handling was decent and the dive brakes were
excellent. Assembly was essentially the same as a 1-34 except for the
tail. Interestingly - I saw the prototype at Elmira in the late 70s and it
had a conventional tail. Somebody at Schweizer said that they had to put a
T tail on it for marketing reasons. All in all it wasn't a bad glider - It
would have made a good replacement for the 1-26 but it came on the market
too late and was too expensive.

Roy

Sikorsky To buy Schweizer Aircraft Vaughn Simon Rotorcraft 0 August 27th 04 02:41 PM
Paul A. Schweizer, 1913-2004 Peter W. Smith Soaring 1 August 26th 04 04:13 PM
Paul Schweizer 1913-2004 BTIZ Piloting 0 August 19th 04 01:58 AM
heli flying - which would be more fun/useful Schweizer 300C or a Bell 47G Charles Morrice Rotorcraft 1 August 15th 03 12:48 PM