Ridge Day at New Castle, VA, USA

Old September 20th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

Default Ridge Day at New Castle, VA, USA

I see the scores for Day 2 have been posted at:

http://ssa.org/members/contestreport...FullDetail.asp
?contestId=&ContestDetailId=2897&ContestName=Regio n+4+South+Contes

And all three classes did the 'milk run' ridge trip.

The speeds they ran must indicate one thing: The Ridge
Was Cooking!

But my question: Why has the day been devalued?

I guess I'll have to dive into the Sporting Code.
Maybe the task was too short, time wise?

But, I'm sure the particpants had a blast, especially
those that have never experienced a ridge run!

32 pilots flew it, with 27 having speeds greater than
100 miles per hour! And, they may have been dry!
We'll have to see in the official report if water was
allowed in this 'normally dry' contest.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old September 20th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ray,

See sections 10 and 11 of the Contest Rules. The standard minimum task
time is 2 hours; if a number of pilots finish in less than that time,
the day is devalued, though you have to be a sober CPA to figure it
properly without using Winscore.

Most of the days I've won were devalued for some reason or another!

~ted/2NO

Old September 20th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

I think there might have been a cold front blow through
and the CD had a small window to get in a task, a very
small window and he went for it.

Ray

Old September 20th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

Doug,

If only I had the software to do it!

(I had to replace the heat pump for the townhouse this
year. Ouch!)

Maybe there will be a super sale on SeeMe and StrePla
at the 2007 Convention in Memphis? :-)

http://ssa.org/members/contestreport...sFullDetail.as

Old September 20th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

You can download either package from the web site and try it free for
30 days. So go for it!

Old September 20th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I tried to get theses IGC files so that I could run them on CU. Wanted
to live vicariously through you as our weather here in southern Germany
has not been good for soaring (getting better for the next few days
though).

I of course couldn't get into the SSA members site but also the OLC US
site would not give me access. Is it just down temporarily?

Bob

Old September 20th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Short task called on what was supposed to be a rain day.

All ships were dry.

It was a LOT of fun - we should have done it twice!

66

Old September 20th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Use this: http://tinyurl.com/eobas
Jack

Thanks Jack!

Now I have to download the maps and such for CU.

Bob