Big Bertha Thing hacked

Old May 17th 07, 04:46 PM posted to swnet.sci.astro,rec.aviation.piloting
Tony Lance[_4_]

Default Big Bertha Thing hacked

Big Bertha Thing pathos
Cosmic Ray Series
Possible Real World System Constructs
http://web.onetel.com/~tonylance/pathos.html
Access page JPG 12K Image
Astrophysics net ring access site
Newsgroup Reviews including uk.rec.cycling

Detail from painting of captive musketeers.

Caption:-
Porthos took hold of a bar (foot rail) with both hands

From the book
Twenty Years After
by Alexandre Dumas
Published by George G.Harrup & Co.Ltd., 1923
Reprinted 1929
(C) Copyright Tony Lance 1998
Distribute complete and free of charge to comply.

Big Bertha Thing poem

Some Days, Then Some

by Tony Lance

I've had better days, he thought and said.
When I could get my sorry butt out of bed.
When I wasn't mistook for as good as dead.
When they didn't fill my boots with all that lead.

There are days sometimes, of sunshine on my head.
Windswept shores viewed from along a beachy-head.
Carefree larks, in a clearly blue sky, over-head.
Then of course, I became a headmaster, the old man said.

Tony Lance

From: Tony Lance
Newsgroups: swnet.sci.astro,sci.chem
Subject: Big Bertha Thing mayor
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:34:45 +0000

Tuesday, November 18, 1997 04:12:46 PM
Message
From: Pam Scruton
Subject: archivist
To: Tony Lance
Hi Tony
++++++

I'm afraid you are going to have to take me through all this very slowly - I did say my
last Physics was A level some 30+ years ago didn't I?

In answer to your question, yes I'm happy to be archivist - my 486 'boasts' a reasonable
amount of hard disk space and I could allocate about 500MB to the job with as many backup
100MB floppies (on a zip drive) as is necessary. I'm a bit puzzled about the email and
password bit - do you mean that I should log on as AML34 with your password and download
your mail and files? I'm not terribly comfortable with that idea - I would much rather
you forward the relevant messages and attachments to me rather than I should find myself
reading all your mail.

Or perhaps it might be better to set up a closed subconference, one that can only be
accessed by your volunteers and I would get archive the files from there.

Or you can ask people to copy them to me or mail them to me directly.

Have a think and let me know - I would rather not mess around with your mailbox - I'm
pretty sure it's against the rules anyway!

Next
++++
I have downloaded and run the Pastures software and there are lots of things I don't
understand (probably because I don't exactly understand the physics - and I'm not even
going to try to do that right now - although I think I understand what your goal is).
First thing I didn't understand was why working through the Worked Example for Option 1 -
the seven-hour bit took my machine about 20 minutes. So either I'm missing something
fairly fundamental or there is a much bigger speed differential between a 386 and a
486DX-66 than I would have thought!

Then as Option 4 in the Worked example was next, I tried that, but it didn't work -
presumably because it shouldn't be next, it should be after Option 3?

When you refer to 'Edit particle.dat' are you referring to the Dos Edit command or are you
using the term Edit more loosely than that?

Anyway, having made a miserable attempt at running the examples I decided that I really
need my hand held on this one. I'm afraid that perhaps your documentation steps just
aren't quite small enough for me. Would it be too much trouble to go over it again at
half speed? If it would and I can't be of much help to you running the damn thing, I will
still happily act as archivist because I am now quite intrigued by it all!

Cheers for now

Pam
PS I don't understand your Big Bertha messages either - and I've heard of Serpico, there
was a not very good film made about the case a few years ago that has been doing the
rounds on Sky.
PPS: Did you ever get Philip Sims on board? You certainly managed to alienate a few mods
though didn't you? Grin

Cheers once more
Pam