Winch Signals

Old April 9th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Default Winch Signals

Our club has yet to try winching, though a half-dozen members have
experienced it elsewhere sometime across the last fifty years.

Reading Piggot, I discover the command "All Out" for the beginning of
the launch. Is this the customary command in other places besides
England? Why this? What does it reall mean? At first I took it to mean
"Everyone stand clear" or some such, but apparently it means "Give 'er
the gun" in US slang. Does this Britishism have some colloquial meaning
for them that doesn't exist elsewhere?

Seems to me, such a command would be the same one a glider pilot who has
no wing runner (aero retrieve from a landout) uses on the radio to tell a
tow pilot to begin the launch after the rope is taut. I've heard, "Go,
go, go." which I don't really like but can't say why.

What have you heard? Anyone have any comments to offer?

Old April 9th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

[...]

As an expatriot Brit, "all out" to me means full speed - whether it's
the winch or tow plane.

Webster's New World Dictionary defines all out as "completely,
wholeheartedly"

Mike
Old April 9th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Copeland[_2_]

In the UK the commands for both aerotows and winch launches are 'Take up
slack' which means slowly take up any excess slack cable, followed by
'All out', which means that all the slack has been taken out and you now
gun the throttle to start the launch.

For winch launching we normally use light signals, which are a slow
flashing white light for take up slack, followed by faster flashes for all
out. Stop is a continuous light.

However you can also use radio, if you can guarantee nobody stomping on a
vital transmission, or as the Germans do, use a fixed land line telephone.
If your winch run is fairly short and flat, you can also use a signalling
bat.

Derek Copeland

Old April 9th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

It's unique, because you want a unique signal for a unique situation.
"All Out" or "Full Power" are phrases that wouldn't be misconstrued.
"NO" on the radio sounds very much like "GO". You should pull the
yellow handle and use "STOP" but in the heat of the moment...
Jim

What was the film about skydiving where someone had a load of laundry
instead of a chute, their friend found out, and wrote NO GO on the
ground, but read upside down it looked like GO ON????
Old April 9th 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Nyal,

In our club in Germany, if I can remember, there were three commands.

1. Fertig (Ready, the pilot is ready to be launched.)
2. Seil straff (All of the slack is out of the cable)
3. Frei (The glider has cleared the ground)

These commands were relayed to the winch operator via a "field
telephone", the kind where you would turn the little crank to ring the
bell on the other end of the line.

In this club, winch launching was, and probably still is, the primary
way of launching. They do A LOT of winching. I wonder if they have
changed their ways and have different commands now.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
PS: Happy Winching!

Old April 9th 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 9, 8:15*am, Nyal Williams wrote:
What have you heard? *Anyone have any comments to offer?

I was going to guess that it referred to the dampers on steam engine
boilers but this reference
http://www.answers.com/topic/all-out states the term has been in use
since 1300. That obviously predates the steam engine, but perhaps not
other flue dampers.

Dampers can be rotary valves or sliding plates. Pulling a sliding
plate flue damper "all out" gives maximum flue draw and the hottest
fire.

Andy

Old April 9th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Ray,

Mine was the Belgian Air Force club in Cologne. They did it in Flemish or
French and that was in 1954; I don't remember the commands. (Pulling
strings got me, an American GI attached to the Belgian Army I Corps, into
the club.

Old April 9th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 9, 9:31*am, Andy wrote:
*Pulling a sliding
plate flue damper "all out" gives maximum flue draw and the hottest
fire.

On further reflection the term could have come from pipe organs where
"stops" are pulled out to control airflow and hence sound volume.
Pipe organs predate 1300. ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_organ

There must be a reference to the origin somewhere on the internet but
I didn't find it yet.

Andy
Old April 9th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Andy,

Funny you should metion that; I used to work on pipe organs, but this
never occurred to me. I'm really interested to know the history of the
phrase.

At 16:54 09 April 2009, Andy wrote:
On Apr 9, 9:31=A0am, Andy wrote:
=A0Pulling a sliding
plate flue damper "all out" gives maximum flue draw and the hottest
fire.

On further reflection the term could have come from pipe organs where
"stops" are pulled out to control airflow and hence sound volume.
Pipe organs predate 1300. ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_organ

There must be a reference to the origin somewhere on the internet but
I didn't find it yet.

Andy

patent for bank angle from GPS signals Tony Piloting 7 February 7th 07 12:25 AM
Tow Signals Ramy Soaring 58 October 19th 06 04:46 AM
Glider - Towplane Signals Mike the Strike Soaring 24 March 26th 05 09:33 PM
LIppmann reports a 950 meter winch launch with their Dynatec winch line - anything higher? Bill Daniels Soaring 20 December 27th 04 12:33 AM
The wrong signals to send to young visitors. Larry Dighera Piloting 57 November 26th 03 07:05 AM