Affordable Glider

Old July 20th 09, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K Smith

Default Affordable Glider

O.K. now that I am getting back into gliding, I will want to purchase a
glider of my own in the not so distant future. I had a lot of fun flying a
1-26 when I was doing my solo training, and am thinking seriously about
getting one as the money flow allows. But there is that part inside me that
thinks of a nice glass ship. Are there any glass ships that can be had for
under say 15, and if so which ones would they be. would probably already
bought a 1-26, but as luck would have it, I injured my shoulder at work in
April and had to have surgery. So here I sit all summer in beautifull
Tennessee and can't fly.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Old July 20th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

On Jul 20, 11:37*am, "K Smith" wrote:
O.K. now that I am getting back into gliding, I will want to purchase a
glider of my own in the not so distant future. *I had a lot of fun flying a
1-26 when I was doing my solo training, and am thinking seriously about
getting one as the money flow allows. *But there is that part inside me that
thinks of a nice glass ship. *Are there any glass ships that can be had for
under say 15, and if so which ones would they be. * would probably already
bought a 1-26, but as luck would have it, I injured my shoulder at work in
April and had to have surgery. *So here I sit all summer in beautifull
Tennessee and can't fly.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

You might get a nice glass ship for around $15, such as a Std Cirrus
or an LS1 or an ASW-15, Libelle, and other "first generation
fiberglass" but don't expect the trailer to be all that great for that
amount. So, keep an eye for glider condition (repair history, who
made the repairs, if any, gel coat condition, canopy condition,
instruments, weight and balance and allowable load, and last, BUT NOT
LEAST, is condition of the trailer. Homebuilts are fine, if rigged
properly. But either a factory trailer or a homebuilt can be knuckle-
busting, glider-rash-giving monsters if not properly set up. Yea,
I've got experience with that :-)

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old July 20th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Olson[_2_]

http://www.wingsandwheels.com - quite a few ships in your price bracket on
there at the moment

At 15:48 20 July 2009, rlovinggood wrote:
On Jul 20, 11:37=A0am, "K Smith" wrote:
O.K. now that I am getting back into gliding, I will want to purchase

glider of my own in the not so distant future. =A0I had a lot of fun

flyi=
ng a
1-26 when I was doing my solo training, and am thinking seriously

about
getting one as the money flow allows. =A0But there is that part inside

me=
that
thinks of a nice glass ship. =A0Are there any glass ships that can be

had=
for
under say 15, and if so which ones would they be. =A0 would probably

alre=
ady
bought a 1-26, but as luck would have it, I injured my shoulder at

work
i=
April and had to have surgery. =A0So here I sit all summer in

Old July 20th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

You might get a nice glass ship for around $15, such as a Std Cirrus
or an LS1 or an ASW-15, Libelle, and other "first generation
fiberglass" but don't expect the trailer to be all that great for that
amount. *So, keep an eye for glider condition (repair history, who
made the repairs, if any, gel coat condition, canopy condition,
instruments, weight and balance and allowable load, and last, BUT NOT
LEAST, is condition of the trailer. *Homebuilts are fine, if rigged
properly. *But either a factory trailer or a homebuilt can be knuckle-
busting, glider-rash-giving monsters if not properly set up. *Yea,
I've got experience with that *:-)

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

EDIT: Uh, I think that should have stated "...$15,000..." and not
$15. I think I would stear clear of a $15 glider. Now, a $64 LS4,
with a refrigerator in the trailer, etc, might be a steal!

Old July 20th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nickname unavailable

Consider also a partnership with someone of equivalent skill level and
aspirations. They can work out very well and you both could be sharing
in a $30k ship!

Bob

Old July 20th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gavin Short[_2_]

[...]

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/want-ads2.htm
for a Std Cirrus that looks interesting

http://www.standardcirrus.org/

Gavin
Std Cirrus, G-SCNN, #173
hopelessly biased!!!
Old July 20th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_2_]

rlovinggood wrote:
last, BUT NOT
LEAST, is condition of the trailer. Homebuilts are fine, if rigged
properly. But either a factory trailer or a homebuilt can be knuckle-
busting, glider-rash-giving monsters if not properly set up. Yea,
I've got experience with that :-)

I'd almost put the condition of the trailer first! Some years ago I
bought into a Grob Astir CS (Grob 102 in the US I think) which had a
very poor trailer. For the first year or so I could not use the glider
properly because of fear of landing out.

Once the trailer was replaced I had some great flights. So, either make
sure you have a working trailer (fittings etc can be modified, but a
barely roadworthy trailer is a deal breaker) or budget to replace the
trailer. In the UK, $1,500 equivalent can buy you a working trailer
which you can make pretty good with some effort - it might help the
original poster if US pilots gave him the likely cost of a s/h trailer.

Don't forget the price is for the complete outfit - glider + instruments
+ trailer. At this price level the aircraft itself must be no more than
$12k of the total $15k, if that helps when negotiating.

Affordable planes Tom Home Built 4 November 6th 08 09:59 PM
The Affordable Flying Initiative (AFI) [email protected] Piloting 3 February 3rd 07 03:40 AM
The Affordable Flying Initiative (AFI) [email protected] Owning 4 February 2nd 07 06:32 PM
Looking for an affordable 4-passenger aircraft Tailhook Owning 15 March 14th 06 01:41 AM
An Affordable Homebrue 60 in DS machine Grant Soaring 0 August 8th 03 03:52 AM