Bigger tank for early Arrow

Old March 2nd 04, 06:39 PM
PaulH

Default Bigger tank for early Arrow

Anybody know of a (legal) way to expand the 50 gal fuel capacity of an
early Piper Arrow?

(Yeah, I know, buy an Arrow II, but I love this airplane)
Old March 2nd 04, 06:56 PM
Jay Honeck

http://www.cabo-rental.net/cherokee235/cherokeestc1.htm

This is a list of every STC ever made for Cherokees. If there's one for
expanding the fuel capacity of the Arrow, it'll be listed here.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 3rd 04, 06:19 PM
PaulH

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:UN41c.28397$PR3.505833@attbi_s03...
http://www.cabo-rental.net/cherokee235/cherokeestc1.htm

This is a list of every STC ever made for Cherokees. If there's one for
expanding the fuel capacity of the Arrow, it'll be listed here.

Thanks, Jay - great site for 235/6 owners! But not a tank listed.
Kinda surprising given the relatively small tank size.

Paul H
Old March 5th 04, 01:45 AM
John Galban

(PaulH) wrote in message . com...
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:UN41c.28397$PR3.505833@attbi_s03...
http://www.cabo-rental.net/cherokee235/cherokeestc1.htm

This is a list of every STC ever made for Cherokees. If there's one for
expanding the fuel capacity of the Arrow, it'll be listed here.

Thanks, Jay - great site for 235/6 owners! But not a tank listed.
Kinda surprising given the relatively small tank size.

50 gals is about 5 hrs of 75% cruise in the 180 hp Arrow. That's
not too bad. Unforunately, the bigger tanks were only fitted to
tapered wing Arrows.

I thought 50 gallons was a lot of fuel after stepping up from a 172
with 37.5 usable.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old March 5th 04, 03:38 AM
Jay Honeck

Well, if you don't feel comfortable sharing with me, then stay on the
ground.

Me, too. Then, I got 84 gallons.

Of course, my fuel burn went up 50%, so...

Much always wants more.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 04, 12:40 PM

:
http://www.cabo-rental.net/cherokee235/cherokeestc1.htm
:
: This is a list of every STC ever made for Cherokees. If there's one for
: expanding the fuel capacity of the Arrow, it'll be listed here.
:
: Thanks, Jay - great site for 235/6 owners! But not a tank listed.
: Kinda surprising given the relatively small tank size.
:

: 50 gals is about 5 hrs of 75% cruise in the 180 hp Arrow. That's
: not too bad. Unforunately, the bigger tanks were only fitted to
: tapered wing Arrows.

: I thought 50 gallons was a lot of fuel after stepping up from a 172
: with 37.5 usable.

: John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

The nice thing about the (relatively) higher power cherokees (or any plane for
that reason) is you don't *have* to use it. I generally fly my 180 at 65%, which is
like the 140/150 at 75% (8.5 gph) but kinder to the engine, can run a little leaner,
etc. There comes a point where putting more power on an airframe in cruise just makes
it burn more gas, not go much faster. I just looked at the cruise chart on mine...
roughly 15% more gph for 7% more speed from 65% to 75%. I suspect Jay can see that
pretty readily... of course he's got another 150 lbs of engine/airplane to have to
haul around too. What's your empty weight, Jay?

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old March 7th 04, 05:22 PM
Andre

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:KrI1c.41942$PR3.827352@attbi_s03...
Thanks, Jay - great site for 235/6 owners! But not a tank listed.
Kinda surprising given the relatively small tank size.

Yeah, it's aimed primarily at the Pathfinder/Dakota crowd, but it has ALL
the STCs listed in one place.

A VERY valuable resource for all Cherokee drivers.

You know, I had wondered for several years if there was an STC to put
the Cherokee 235 tip tanks on an early Arrow. They shared the same
basic wing and it seems that all that would needed is to bolt them on
and plumb the system with the 235 stuff; pretty much using all OEM
hardware. I can't recall anymore but I think the 235 tip-tanks held
about 16 gal. useable, + or - . That would sure give a miserly Arrow
a nice range/endurance envelope to play with. I even suspect that it
would, with the added fuel weight in the wings, a slight gross weight
increase could argued for. Anybody heard of anyone putting the 235
tips on some other hershey-bared wing model?

Andre
Old March 8th 04, 05:06 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Andre wrote:

: You know, I had wondered for several years if there was an STC to put
: the Cherokee 235 tip tanks on an early Arrow. They shared the same
: basic wing and it seems that all that would needed is to bolt them on
: and plumb the system with the 235 stuff; pretty much using all OEM
: hardware. I can't recall anymore but I think the 235 tip-tanks held
: about 16 gal. useable, + or - . That would sure give a miserly Arrow
: a nice range/endurance envelope to play with. I even suspect that it
: would, with the added fuel weight in the wings, a slight gross weight
: increase could argued for. Anybody heard of anyone putting the 235
: tips on some other hershey-bared wing model?

Andre, I looked at this for my PA-28-180. The 235 wings are a lot different
from the PA-28-180 wings: the skins are thicker gauge, and the spar is
different. I can't find references to the PA-28R-180, other than to show that
it's different from the 235 and from the 140/150/160/180 airplanes.

PS, I have searched for additional tankage and have not found anything
available. If you do find something, please report!
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
Old March 8th 04, 05:34 PM
Andre

Aaron Coolidge wrote in message ...
Andre wrote:

[...]

I wasn't aware of the 235 wings being that much different (had never
pursued it, though, either). Since it's free to dream, my other
brainstorm concept was (assuming I'd win the lottery) to explore if a
pair of older PA-32 Lance fuel tanks could be adapted into the Arrow
wing. Those things consist of 2 tanks each plumbed together (the
outboard one with a sight gauge). As the tanks are installed on both
the Arrow and the Lance AHEAD of the spar, I theorized that the Lance
tanks could be mated in to the Arrow as it seems they could fit
dimensionally in the same manner as they do in the Lance. Had you
ever looked at that idea, even just conceptually? Any opinions as to
its feasability?

I'd better stop talking like this before I raise too many eyebrows...

Andre

Night bombers interception in Western Europe in 1944 Bernardz Military Aviation 205 July 22nd 04 05:31 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
More long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids, with added nationalistic abuse (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 161 September 25th 03 07:35 AM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
Long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 20 August 27th 03 09:14 AM