Looking for the Source of Information, ATIS, AWOS, ASOS,

Old February 11th 09, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hiro

Default Looking for the Source of Information, ATIS, AWOS, ASOS,

Ok,,, so it' been known to pilots that ATIS reports are based off of
magnetic heading: AWOS, ASOS, FB WINDS (Winds Aloft) are based on true
heading. The question is, where in the FAA publication does it say
that? I looked through FAA's PHAK, AIM, and AC00-45F, but none of
them indicated anything about the heading.
Old February 11th 09, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

AIM 4-1-13: "ATIS information includes the time of the latest weather
sequence, ceiling, visibility, obstructions to visibility, temperature, dew
point (if available), wind direction (magnetic) ... "

AIM 4-2-10: "The three digits of bearing, course, heading, or wind direction
should always be magnetic. The word "true" must be added when it applies."

AIM 7-1-12 d3 (Note): "Wind direction broadcast over FAA radios is in
reference to magnetic north."

AIM 7-1-12 d5 Fig 7-1-8 (METAR): "WIND DIRECTION AND SPEED. Direction in
tens of degrees from true north (first three digits) ..."

PHAK Ch 11 TAF: "Forecast Wind - The wind direction and speed forecast are
given in a five-digit number group. The first three indicate the direction
of the wind in reference to true north. ..."

PHAK Ch 11 Winds Aloft: "Wind direction is always in reference to true north
...."

There's more, but this ought to be sufficient.

Regards,

Jon

Old February 11th 09, 11:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Hiro wrote:

Ok,,, so it' been known to pilots that ATIS reports are based off of
magnetic heading: AWOS, ASOS, FB WINDS (Winds Aloft) are based on true
heading. The question is, where in the FAA publication does it say
that? I looked through FAA's PHAK, AIM, and AC00-45F, but none of
them indicated anything about the heading.

Wind broadcast on ATIS, AWOS, and ASOS is magnetic.

Old February 11th 09, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Moore

Hiro wrote

I looked through FAA's PHAK, AIM, and AC00-45F, but none of
them indicated anything about the heading.

And..of course, (pun intended) wind does not have "heading",
just a "direction from". Aircraft and ships have heading.

Bob Moore
Old February 11th 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman[_2_]

Robert Moore wrote:
Hiro wrote

I looked through FAA's PHAK, AIM, and AC00-45F, but none of
them indicated anything about the heading.

And..of course, (pun intended) wind does not have "heading",
just a "direction from". Aircraft and ships have heading.

Bob Moore

You know, that's your point of view. The wind sees things very
differently, I can assure you.
Old February 11th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scien

On Feb 11, 5:25*am, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:
Hiro wrote:

Wind broadcast on ATIS, AWOS, and ASOS is magnetic.

Wow that's what I thought too. But the AIM 7-1-12 most definitely is
saying that it is in true (or is that a typo?). Of course the
variance around here is around 2 degrees, which given how touchy the
AWOS at my airport is, seems to be is pretty negligible. Glad someone
brought it up before I have a question about it on my written though.
That would have been a silly question to miss.
Old February 11th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

wrote:
Hiro wrote:

Wind broadcast on ATIS, AWOS, and ASOS is magnetic.

Wow that's what I thought too. But the AIM 7-1-12 most definitely is
saying that it is in true (or is that a typo?). Of course the
variance around here is around 2 degrees, which given how touchy the
AWOS at my airport is, seems to be is pretty negligible. Glad someone
brought it up before I have a question about it on my written though.
That would have been a silly question to miss.

I don't see the word "true" anywhere in AIM 7-1-12. The NOTE in AIM
7-1-12.d.3. states, "Wind direction broadcast over FAA radios is in
reference to magnetic north."

Old February 11th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scien

wrote:

Hiro wrote:

Wind broadcast on ATIS, AWOS, and ASOS is magnetic.

Wow that's what I thought too. *But the AIM 7-1-12 most definitely is
saying that it is in true (or is that a typo?). *Of course the
variance around here is around 2 degrees, which given how touchy the
AWOS at my airport is, seems to be is pretty negligible. *Glad someone
brought it up before I have a question about it on my written though.
That would have been a silly question to miss.

Um, with it being AWOS, since I was being unclear.
Old February 11th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hiro

On Feb 11, 1:30*am, "Jon Woellhaf" wrote:
AIM 4-1-13: "ATIS information includes the time of the latest weather
sequence, ceiling, visibility, obstructions to visibility, temperature, dew
point (if available), wind direction (magnetic) ... "

AIM 4-2-10: "The three digits of bearing, course, heading, or wind direction
should always be magnetic. The word "true" must be added when it applies."

AIM 7-1-12 d3 (Note): "Wind direction broadcast over FAA radios is in
reference to magnetic north."

AIM 7-1-12 d5 Fig 7-1-8 (METAR): "WIND DIRECTION AND SPEED. Direction in
tens of degrees from true north (first three digits) ..."

PHAK Ch 11 TAF: "Forecast Wind - The wind direction and speed forecast are
given in a five-digit number group. The first three indicate the direction
of the wind in reference to true north. ..."

PHAK Ch 11 Winds Aloft: "Wind direction is always in reference to true north
..."

"Hiro" wrote in message

Ok,,, so it' been known to pilots that ATIS reports are based off of
magnetic heading: AWOS, ASOS, FB WINDS (Winds Aloft) are based on true
heading. *The question is, where in the FAA publication does it say
that? *I looked through FAA's PHAK, AIM, and AC00-45F, but none of
them indicated anything about the heading.

Thank you Jon. Your information was VERY helpful. There have been a
lot of information from people, but I don't trust anything besides the
FAA's publication...
Old February 11th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

Jon Woellhaf wrote:

ATIS ... magnetic
broadcast over FAA radios ... magnetic
METAR: ... true
TAF: ... true
Winds Aloft: ... true

Which makes a lot of sense, actually. True for planning, magnetic when
on short final.

Online ASOS/AWOS? RandyL[_2_] Piloting 6 August 13th 08 01:02 AM
Over to ATIS? paul kgyy Instrument Flight Rules 5 November 20th 07 12:18 PM
JFK ATIS: Strange???? RST Engineering Piloting 5 April 19th 07 10:50 PM
KSFO ATIS: "FG IN GAP W" David Ziemba Instrument Flight Rules 3 July 20th 04 02:13 PM
KSFO ATIS: "FG IN GAP W" David Ziemba General Aviation 3 July 20th 04 02:13 PM