Autogas STC Paperwork

Old April 7th 04, 08:29 PM
Bob Martin

For a 172 it's only paper whipping. However to be legal you need the
337 filled out and sent in, the logbook entry, the clamp, and the
placards at the fuel fillers.

Where does the clamp go, and what does it do? Just curious
Old April 8th 04, 04:23 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Dan Thompson wrote:

Personally, I'd say the placard is all you need, but only if you are sure
the STC for a plane like yours is just a paper whipping excercise.

Even if the STC for your aircraft is just a "paper-whipping" exercise, beware that
the STC on many of these aircraft specifies a minimum operational rpm level. It may
be OK to dump mogas in a Cessna 150 (to pick an example) without actually springing
for the SCT, and it may not. Unfortunately, I no longer remember the rpm level for
that plane, but my A&P had to adjust the carb a tad when I bought the STC.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 8th 04, 03:16 PM
Bob Martin

Jim Weir wrote in message . ..
It goes on the pushrod tube. Its main function is to add 0.05 to the weight of
the aircraft without having any other use other than to prove that you spent a
dollar a horsepower to buy it..

Pushrod tube? As in the throttle linkage or something? I have no
idea what a "normal" carb looks like; we have one of those Ellison
TBI's. Sorry to be kind of dense here, but some of the things the FAA
restricts (as far as equipment and certification) seem absolutely
ridiculous.
Old April 8th 04, 03:26 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Bob Martin wrote:

Pushrod tube? As in the throttle linkage or something?

Nothing to do with the carb. Each cylinder has two valves (intake and exhaust). These
are opened by a camshaft, which is located in the center of the engine. The camshaft
lobes push indirectly on rods that run up to the top of the cylinder to activate the
valves. Each rod is encased in a tube about 3/4" in
diameter. On Lycomings, these pushrod tubes are located above the cylinders.

Old April 9th 04, 12:10 AM
John Galban

Jim Weir wrote in message . ..
It goes on the pushrod tube. Its main function is to add 0.05 to the weight of
the aircraft without having any other use other than to prove that you spent a
dollar a horsepower to buy it..

On my old 172 (O-300) the clamp went on the giant oil filler tube.
Worked great until the oil filler tube fell off in flight :-(

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old April 9th 04, 12:13 AM
John Galban

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...
Even if the STC for your aircraft is just a "paper-whipping" exercise, beware that
the STC on many of these aircraft specifies a minimum operational rpm level. It may
be OK to dump mogas in a Cessna 150 (to pick an example) without actually springing
for the SCT, and it may not. Unfortunately, I no longer remember the rpm level for
that plane, but my A&P had to adjust the carb a tad when I bought the STC.

I had the Petersen STC which also required a check for the presence
of composite floats in the carb. The previous owner skipped that
check and the floats sunk after a few months of autogas use. Ended up
with a giant puddle of fuel around the airplane.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Autogas and high end engines John Skorczewski Home Built 10 August 17th 04 05:19 PM
mixing 80 and 100 and autogas...? R. Wubben Owning 5 March 15th 04 03:28 AM
Stupid question about autogas Paul Folbrecht Owning 34 March 1st 04 02:05 AM
autogas to 100ll Ron Natalie Owning 4 January 27th 04 04:49 AM
Hot weather and autogas? Rich S. Home Built 33 July 30th 03 11:25 PM