Continental engine E185

Old July 8th 04, 09:26 PM
Philippe

Default Continental engine E185

Hello,

who knows how cubic inches for this engine?

Am I true with 185HP for take off ?

Thanks
--
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Old July 8th 04, 11:52 PM

The engine is a 470 cubic inch engine. It's the predecessor to the O-470
engine.
Some of these can have 205hp take off power.
Certain models of this engine are easily modified to 225hp engines.
This is the standard engine from the early model Bonanzas and Navions.
There is also a STC out there to get 260hp from this engine. It uses
IO-470N cylinders and spins the prop faster.

Hope this helps
Dave

Old July 12th 04, 09:22 AM
jerry Wass

My overhaul manual shows 3 models of the "E" series engines---
Started out as E-165
Ran it faster--called it E-185
Added Fuel Injection & longer duration camshaft & ran it faster---E-225

Old July 13th 04, 12:17 PM
GaryP

jerry Wass wrote in message ...
My overhaul manual shows 3 models of the "E" series engines---
Started out as E-165
Ran it faster--called it E-185
Added Fuel Injection & longer duration camshaft & ran it faster---E-225

Not quite. E-165 to E-185 added crankshaft counterweights and heavier
cylinders allowing for limited duration 2300RPM for T.O. at 205HP.
E-185 to E-225 added greater valve overlap via a more aggressive cam
and increased fuel induction via carburetor re-jetting (PS5 series
pressure carb).
This removed the T.O. time limitation with some propellors but
required
increased cooling airflow for 225HP at 2650RPM. The only (legal) fuel
injected E-225 is the E-225-I which is an STC conversion from Bendix
(now Precision Airmotive) which uses the RS5/RSA5 fuel servo. This
bumps the
T.O. horsepower to 240 at 2650 RPM provided the propellor is not
limited
by RPM due to harmonic vibration.

These engines do not have the cylinder head fin density of the more
modern
IO470-IO520 Continentals and as a result run hot! They also have an
engine
case with many more pieces, some made of magnesium, resulting in
gasket
interfaces which leak. Like a radial if an E series engine isn't
leaking
oil somewhere that is because it is out of oil g.
Old July 14th 04, 01:14 PM
jerry Wass

Hi Gary,

Just trying to get acceptable HP out of my Packette 4 cyl-( E series guts, )
Put a fuel Inj system on it, but it seems like it just don't wanna breathe---
You know of someone who could put a 225 grind on my 4 cyl GPU??

Jerry