Coordinated turns without rudder, and autopilots

Old May 28th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Coordinated turns without rudder, and autopilots

How do autopilots make coordinated turns even when they cannot control the
rudder?
Old May 28th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

On May 27, 5:44 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
How do autopilots make coordinated turns even when they cannot control the
rudder?

If they don't control the rudder, they do not make coordinated turns!

--Dan

Old May 28th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

Mxsmanic wrote:
How do autopilots make coordinated turns even when they cannot control the
rudder?

What makes you think they do not control the rudder?
Old May 28th 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gpaleo

Ο "John Theune" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

Mxsmanic wrote:
How do autopilots make coordinated turns even when they cannot control
the
rudder?

What makes you think they do not control the rudder?

Mine (KFC-150) does not.

Old May 28th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Mxsmanic wrote
How do autopilots make coordinated turns even when they cannot control
the rudder?

Swept wing and some straight wing aircraft have independent Yaw Damper(s)
that control the rudder(s). Their primary function is to control (prevent)
dutch roll. They operate with the autopilot on or off.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A yaw damper is a device used on many aircraft (usually jets and
turboprops) to damp (reduce) the rolling and yawing oscillations due to
Dutch roll mode[1]. It involves yaw rate sensors and a processor that
provides a signal to an actuator connected to the rudder. The use of the
yaw damper helps to provide a better ride for passengers, and on some
aircraft is a required piece of equipment to ensure that the aircraft
stability remains within certification values.

The term is often mis-pronounced as a "yaw dampener".

Bob Moore

Old May 28th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Dan wrote:
On May 27, 5:44 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
How do autopilots make coordinated turns even when they cannot control the
rudder?

If they don't control the rudder, they do not make coordinated turns!

--Dan

Boy we have the blind leading the blind here.

The whole point of that big vertical slab of metal sticking out of the
ass-end of your airplane is to provide a natural tendency for the
aircraft to fly coordinated. The pedals are just there for the
outlying conditions (low speed, high AOA for example) and fine
adjustment.

Old May 28th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Ron Natalie wrote:
Dan wrote:
On May 27, 5:44 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
How do autopilots make coordinated turns even when they cannot
control the
rudder?

If they don't control the rudder, they do not make coordinated turns!

--Dan

Boy we have the blind leading the blind here.

The whole point of that big vertical slab of metal sticking out of the
ass-end of your airplane is to provide a natural tendency for the
aircraft to fly coordinated. The pedals are just there for the
outlying conditions (low speed, high AOA for example) and fine
adjustment.

And now we have the three blind mice...
Old May 28th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On May 28, 8:11 am, Ron Natalie wrote:
Dan wrote:
On May 27, 5:44 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
How do autopilots make coordinated turns even when they cannot control the
rudder?

If they don't control the rudder, they do not make coordinated turns!

--Dan

Boy we have the blind leading the blind here.

The whole point of that big vertical slab of metal sticking out of the
ass-end of your airplane is to provide a natural tendency for the
aircraft to fly coordinated. The pedals are just there for the
outlying conditions (low speed, high AOA for example) and fine
adjustment.

Ron...

oh my goodness...get some time with a good book on the subject and
then a CFI.

Robert

Old May 28th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

Dan wrote:
On May 27, 5:44 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
How do autopilots make coordinated turns even when they cannot control the
rudder?

If they don't control the rudder, they do not make coordinated turns!

--Dan

Boy we have the blind leading the blind here.

The whole point of that big vertical slab of metal sticking out of the
ass-end of your airplane is to provide a natural tendency for the
aircraft to fly coordinated. The pedals are just there for the
outlying conditions (low speed, high AOA for example) and fine
adjustment.

Ron...

oh my goodness...get some time with a good book on the subject and
then a CFI.

Robert- Hide quoted text -

Ron is correct. The vertical fin makes the airplane weather-vane into
the wind, and that's what co-ordination is all about. The rudder is
there only to help the vertical stab do this job.

A perfect airplane will not need rudder.

Old May 28th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Dan wrote:
[...]

A perfect airplane will not need rudder.- Hide quoted text -

So where is this perfect airplane? I don't know about you, but I need
the rudder pedals to fly the aircraft.

--Dan