What a shame; another military newsroup gone!

Old April 6th 04, 03:05 PM
Dudley Henriques

Default What a shame; another military newsroup gone!

Just dropped by for a moment to take a look . Had a bit of aviation news but
no sense posting it really.
Take care all,

Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old April 6th 04, 03:27 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Just dropped by for a moment to take a look . Had a bit of aviation news

but
no sense posting it really.
Take care all,

Now *that's* a good attitude to take--surely that approach will solve the
problem of the myriad loonytune cross posters. Just roll over and do the
dying cockroach...

Brooks

Dudley Henriques

Old April 6th 04, 04:42 PM
Yama

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Just dropped by for a moment to take a look . Had a bit of aviation news

but
no sense posting it really.
Take care all,

Now *that's* a good attitude to take--surely that approach will solve the
problem of the myriad loonytune cross posters. Just roll over and do the
dying cockroach...

Amazing how adding just three lines to kill file made this group much more
readable.

Old April 6th 04, 04:52 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Kevin Brooks" wrote:

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Just dropped by for a moment to take a look . Had a bit of aviation news

but
no sense posting it really.
Take care all,

Now *that's* a good attitude to take--surely that approach will solve the
problem of the myriad loonytune cross posters. Just roll over and do the
dying cockroach...

Just do what I've been doing.

Post things back in the non-relevant subjects, while deleting RAM from
the newsgroups line.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old April 6th 04, 05:37 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Yama wrote:
Amazing how adding just three lines to kill file made this group much more
readable.

Exactomundo. A kill file, oddly enough, should be a living thing. I'm never
afraid to add to it. Generally speaking, a carefully chosen expression can have
almost universal effect, cleaning out pretty much all the crap and leaving the
rest intact.

I would never let off topic stuff run me off. Filter it instead...

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old April 6th 04, 10:40 PM
Cub Driver

Just dropped by for a moment to take a look . Had a bit of aviation news but
no sense posting it really.

Aw, don't give up so quickly! The trolls come out and **** up the
walls on every election years. They'll be gone in December, God
willing and the chads don't rise.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old April 7th 04, 04:30 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 16:37:14 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

Yama wrote:
Amazing how adding just three lines to kill file made this group much more
readable.

Exactomundo. A kill file, oddly enough, should be a living thing. I'm never
afraid to add to it. Generally speaking, a carefully chosen expression can have
almost universal effect, cleaning out pretty much all the crap and leaving the
rest intact.

I would never let off topic stuff run me off. Filter it instead...

While what you say is true, what Dudley has pointed out is true as
well. I used to look forward each day to opening the newsreader and
entering a discussion in R.A.M. Now, the group is filled with
propagandists and petty bickering. The main posters are either
anonymous twits trolling for other twits, or a half-dozen so-called
experts who simply append one-liners to unedited 150 line posts
calling each other fools.

My kill-file grows daily, but much like spammers, the posting source
keeps mutating and as soon as one mole gets whacked another pops out
of a nearby hole.

Unfortunately, after the kill-file does its work, there isn't much
"there" there.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old April 7th 04, 04:44 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote:

Yama wrote:
[...]

Oh come on, there are good threads on the F-22, F-18 and the Flanker hidden
in this garbage.None of it is the horray for me kind of thread, but it is
serious stuff.

Old April 7th 04, 09:29 PM
Guy Alcala

wrote:

Yama wrote:
[...]

Which is why we need the posters like Dudley who actually provide the quality
on-topic content we're here for, to stick around, not bail. The NG has survived all
the kooks and blind partisans who came out for Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Iraq, the
2000 election et al, not to mention the perennial monomaniacs (Iranair, USS Liberty,
Flight 800, etc.). Surviving campaign 2004 is just more of the same, although I
agree that the continued growth of people with internet access inevitably has led to
more off-topic posts. It's just part of the price we pay, and I've gotten handier
using my kill file. The other thing is for us to stay resolutely on charter with our
posts and ignore all the others so that they swiftly die out, but that's a
restriction we've all broken at one time or another.

Of course, if anyone knows of a good restricted subscription mailing list for the
same subject with after-the-fact moderation that will eliminate the chaff, by all
means let's hear about it. Or if someone is willing to host and moderate one (again,
only after the fact if someone complains, by issuing warnings or if necessary
suspending/banning people's subscriptions), go for it. We could start one on Yahoo
easily enough, or for that matter, there are already several in the recreation and
sports/aviation/military category that might serve. I subscribe to a couple of
semi-related ones which have far higher S/N ratios than this or many other NGs, but
as usual they tend to be harder for new posters to find. But there's nothing
stopping us from placing a recurring ad for it here, much as the FAQ notice recurs.

Would there be enough interest to do so, or are we willing to wait out the current
storm of political bumph? Let's see a show of hands as to how many people here would
want to start such a group. If there are enough, I might even be willing to moderate
it (more accurately, control the subscription list), especially if I could get a few
other volunteers to help screen subscription applications. I can think of several
regular r.a.m. posters who wouldn't make the cut, thus lessening the message volume
and aggravation level considerably, or we could put membership applications up to a
vote.

Guy

Old April 7th 04, 10:07 PM
Cub Driver

Of course, if anyone knows of a good restricted subscription mailing list for the
same subject with after-the-fact moderation that will eliminate the chaff, by all
means let's hear about it.

Moderated lists don't often work. One of the exceptions is the
moderated WWII newsgroup, but it has wide appeal and some dedicated
moderators.

There used to be and presumably still is a Vietnam war newsgroup,
which was ruined by one individual (Phill Coleman and his alter egos
of the American War Library) and the reaction of others posters to
him. It became so disheartening that someone started a moderated
Vietnam newsgroup--which died after a year or two.

I think Dudley got the grouch this morning. He will get over it and
come back. If not, somebody will turn up to take his place. Let's face
it, people just plain like to have their opinions in print, even if
only on a newsreader. That works for the trolls as well. But it's the
trolls in my experience who don't have the staying power. They'll go
away. Hatred is not a healthy emotion, and the Tilde Guy is clearly
consumed by hatred; he'll self-destruct sooner or later.

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
18 Jan 2004 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 19th 04 02:08 AM
Updated List of Military Information-Exchange Forums Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 29th 03 02:20 AM
List of News, Discussion and Info Exchange forums Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 November 14th 03 05:01 AM
08 Nov 2003 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 November 9th 03 01:51 AM