Live... from Kill Devil Hills...

Old December 17th 03, 05:32 PM
Dave S

Default Live... from Kill Devil Hills...

Thanks to the modern marvel of live television... millions of people
worldwide just got to see the wright flyer replica attempt to lift off
and... not.. quite.. make it.

Nothing but hurt feelings, and the flyer appears undamaged...

Dave

Old December 17th 03, 06:59 PM
Rob Perkins

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:32:08 GMT, Dave S
wrote:

Thanks to the modern marvel of live television... millions of people
worldwide just got to see the wright flyer replica attempt to lift off
and... not.. quite.. make it.

Nothing but hurt feelings, and the flyer appears undamaged...

Looked like a departure stall to me, a little too much up-elevator...

And EVEN SO! The reenactment was cool to watch. I felt the
biggest-ever involuntary smile on my face when those two props finally
started spinning on their own.

And David Asman has the "Bob Costas at the Olympic Opening Ceremony
Syndrome," in which he simply won't Shut! Up! so we can hear the
announcer and the program at the actual event! Augh!

Rob, done armchair quarterbacking for the day...
Old December 17th 03, 07:50 PM
Rosspilot

As soon as it started moving, I could see water spraying off the wooden track.
Probably added lots of drag to the takeoff run, but it was probably a
combination of
things.
www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 17th 03, 08:38 PM
Maule Driver

"Rob Perkins"
And EVEN SO! The reenactment was cool to watch. I felt the
biggest-ever involuntary smile on my face when those two props finally
started spinning on their own.

It was great! And probably more representative of what went on at Kitty
Hawk than the one flight they were trying to recreate.

So the Wright Flyer + 100 years is to the Concorde like a cloned sheep +
100 years is to ?

Hmmm, it took less than 70 years for the Concorde and the moon shot.

Old December 18th 03, 12:57 AM
Pat Thronson

If the Wright brothers were there at the time of launch today, they would
have said "wait until you have more wind, dummies" I think a successful
launch is more significant than the exact day and hour. They should attempt
it again when the winds are more exacting to the original flight.

Pat Thronson

Old December 18th 03, 03:08 AM
Bob Fry

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix...inge-sing.html

Old December 18th 03, 03:49 AM
Jim Fisher

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix...inge-sing.html

Fascinating reading, Bob. Thanks.

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 18th 03, 04:05 AM
Don Tuite

"Maule Driver" writes:

So the Wright Flyer + 100 years is to the Concorde like a cloned sheep +
100 years is to ?

Tough, stringy mutton?

Don
Old December 18th 03, 01:04 PM
Thomas Borchert

Pat,

They should attempt
it again when the winds are more exacting to the original flight.

They did already, weeks before the date and time.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 19th 03, 05:07 AM
StellaStar

So the Wright Flyer + 100 years is to the Concorde like a cloned sheep +
100 years is to ?

Genetically engineered, glow-in-the-dark aquarium fishies.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...nkenfish_x.htm