Good Instructors...

Old December 5th 04, 08:10 AM
C J Campbell

"Michael" wrote in message
om...

Here I think we fundamentally disagree. No judgment can be learned in
the training environment, because nothing is at stake.

I have extreme difficulty believing that anyone who actually does flight
instruction could seriously say such a thing.

Old December 5th 04, 04:37 PM
Frank Ch. Eigler

"C J Campbell" writes:

"Michael" wrote:
Here I think we fundamentally disagree. No judgment can be learned in
the training environment, because nothing is at stake.

I have extreme difficulty believing that anyone who actually does flight
instruction could seriously say such a thing.

And yet there you have it. Michael uses an assertive style of making
pronouncements that assumes an audience open-minded enough not to
interpret them at their most straw-man shallow.

The underlying point is of course something like this: when one is
training, one's instructor or one's flight school sets many rules
associated with e.g. weather. These rules, along with the presence
of an instructor giving dual, conspire to provide such a margin of
comfort that the student does not have to think that hard about
go/no-go. She knows she will be overruled if the margin is being
eaten into. Thus, a sense of responsibility for judgement in the
student is not as well developed during training as afterward, when
she actually makes binding unsupervised decisions, and has to live
with the consequences.

- FChE
Old December 5th 04, 09:20 PM
Peter Duniho

"Frank Ch. Eigler" wrote in message
And yet there you have it. Michael uses an assertive style of making
pronouncements that assumes an audience open-minded enough not to
interpret them at their most straw-man shallow.

It's hard to interpret Michael's statement in any way other than how he said
it. He didn't use ambiguous terminology. He said "*NO* judgment can be
learned" and "*NOTHING* is at stake". That's just patently false.

I would agree that the training environment does limit to some extent
real-world situations that can produce a maturation of good judgment. But
to say that no judgment can be learned in a training environment, and that
nothing is at stake, is just plain stupid and an insult to all the
instructors out there that manage to successfully teach good judgment as
part of their curriculum.

Pete