Cost of flying lessons

Old November 8th 04, 09:02 AM
Ramapriya

Default Cost of flying lessons

Folks,

At the only flight training center here in Dubai where I presently
live, about 40 flying classes would cost USD 6000. How much would a
similar duration course in the east coast of the US cost? I know costs
will vary, but what can I assume to be the average? Just for
information, a return ticket to NY costs about USD 1300...

I'd be grateful for inputs, thank you.

Ramapriya

Old November 8th 04, 11:46 AM
Cub Driver

At 7B3 Hampton NH, $75/hour for the Cub, I think $22 (possibly $25)
for the instructor. To solo, you must have insurance of $40,000 on the
airplane.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old November 8th 04, 02:32 PM
Captain Wubba

I tell students to expect costs of between $5000 and $7000 to earn
their private certificate. I'm in the midwest United States, where
plane rental is about $75 an hour for a Cessna 172, and flight
instruction is about $30-$35 per hour.

Cheers,

Cap

Old November 8th 04, 05:38 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ramapriya wrote:

Folks,

At the only flight training center here in Dubai where I presently
live, about 40 flying classes would cost USD 6000. How much would a
similar duration course in the east coast of the US cost? I know costs
will vary, but what can I assume to be the average? Just for
information, a return ticket to NY costs about USD 1300...

If that school is promising to get you your license for around $6,000, you should get
your training there. Typical minimum costs here on the East coast are in the $5,000
range, and it can be higher.

One local school charges $28 an hour for the instructor's fee and $63 an hour for
rental of a Cessna 152 (a small 2-seater). The average person takes about 70 hours to
get a private pilot's certificate here, and about half of that is with an instructor
in the plane. There are certificates here that do not require as much training, but
you might not be able to use them back in India. It's also the case that many people
learn more rapidly than the average.

If you *do* come here for training, you should probably pick a school in an area
which has consistently good weather so that you can fly every day. It would probably
also be best to pick a school that specializes in training foreigners. There are
several in Florida, for example.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old November 8th 04, 06:45 PM
Gary G

Bay Bridge with Capital Air is a tad under $100 an hour with a 152 and instructor.
I think instructors are $45/hr, then (it was) $52/hr for the 152 blocked.
Block time on the plane takes it down a bit.
You can check out their web site (google it), and they also fly out of Tipton right across the street from NSA.

(Now, with that said, NSA's computers picked up this message because I've included their name, and
I'm probably on a watch list because this is aviation related. Uh oh!)

Old November 8th 04, 08:27 PM
Slick

Well we've got everyone beat here at Skypark. I can't believe what some of
you guys are paying. Rental of a Cessna 150 is $37.35/hr and instruction is
$15.00/hr. I'm not an official spokes person for Skypark, I'm just currently
earning my power rating. Also, average hours per student here for Private is
about 60 hours. You do have to carry insurance to solo, I think I paid
$300.00 for a years worth of insurance with the required hull insurance and
what not. We're located in Wadsworth, Ohio and have about 11 150/152's
available for rent. Here is the website http://www.flyskypark.com . The
prices I give are for the block rate, you have to pay $300.00 at a time to
receive those rates. It's a great deal and I highly recommend the
instructors. Check out their website and hopefully we'll see you soon.

Old November 9th 04, 02:06 AM
vincent p. norris

At 7B3 Hampton NH, $75/hour for the Cub, I think $22 (possibly $25)
for the instructor. To solo, you must have insurance of $40,000 on the
airplane.

WOW!!! I learned in J-3 in 1946, right afer VJ day, and paid $7 per
hour dual, $5 per hour solo. And had no insurance.

But today, I can rent a fully instrumented Archer for less than $75
per hour, and need only $5k insurance.

vince norris

Old November 9th 04, 11:08 AM
Cub Driver

At 7B3 Hampton NH, $75/hour for the Cub, I think $22 (possibly $25)
for the instructor. To solo, you must have insurance of $40,000 on the
airplane.

WOW!!! I learned in J-3 in 1946, right afer VJ day, and paid $7 per
hour dual, $5 per hour solo. And had no insurance.

That's probably a wee bit cheaper for the airplane and actually a bit
more expensive for the instructor!

In the summer of 1946 I worked an eight-hour day, seven days a week,
washing dishes at a hotel for $18/week. That was a bit more than 32
cents an hour. So a solo hour on the Cub would have required a bit
less than 16 hours of work.

What's mininum wage, $4.45? If so, that would work out to $70 for a
solo hour for the plane, a bit less than $28 for the instructor.

Old November 9th 04, 10:05 PM
kontiki

$6000 is about right. Yes, it can be done for less, but I wouldn't
bet your money on a round trip ticket to the US on it.

Ramapriya wrote:

Folks,

At the only flight training center here in Dubai where I presently
live, about 40 flying classes would cost USD 6000. How much would a
similar duration course in the east coast of the US cost? I know costs
will vary, but what can I assume to be the average? Just for
information, a return ticket to NY costs about USD 1300...

I'd be grateful for inputs, thank you.

Ramapriya

Mountain flying instruction: McCall, Idaho, Colorado too! [email protected] General Aviation 0 March 26th 04 11:24 PM
Cost of flying Ivan Vegvary Owning 1 December 28th 03 04:07 PM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 Owning 7 December 13th 03 05:55 PM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 Instrument Flight Rules 0 December 12th 03 12:01 AM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 Aerobatics 0 December 12th 03 12:00 AM