Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 21st 05, 02:55 PM
Jay Honeck

they apparently have other priorities. They have faster trains, for
example. How
does this compare with the US?

TRAINS?

Please, no swearing. This is an aviation group!

:-)

Actually, I love trains -- my grandfather worked for the Santa Fe railroad
for 50 years -- but to compare train travel with general aviation is like
comparing shuffleboard to skydiving.

If good trains are what is keeping people from learning to fly, I submit
that those folks never wanted to fly in the first place.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 21st 05, 02:57 PM
Jay Honeck

what now? private airplanes? or general aviation? what would USA (or
Europe)
look like without _General_ _Aviation_?

you still fly checkes from bank to bank, don't you?

Actually, as I understand it, not anymore.

But that kind of flying is considered to be commercial aviation -- not the
grassroots general aviation kind of flying most of us do.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 21st 05, 03:35 PM
Matt Barrow

"Chris" wrote in message

Those of us who do have to pay $7.80 are the ones entitled to gripe about
it. However I am also aware of where my tax £'s go and frankly I do not
worry too much about it. Why, apart from money wasted on some dunderheaded
war, most gets put to good use.

****ing it down a toilet is a good use? Gee, you're a good little munchen!

My parents get good medical treatment and they do not have to pay a cent

for
it, I put a son through Oxford University for $30,000 (mostly for beer I
think) and many other things.

Wow!!, glorified parasitism!!

I consider flying a hobby, a luxury and indulgence. I do not fly to

support
my job, British Airways is always the best for that.

What I don't do is take flying for granted. Here its a privilege not a

right
but I have to accept that the majority of the country don't give a damn
about it and would not care a jot if it was stopped.

So while I can I will pay my $7.80 a gallon and my eurocontrol charges and
enjoy it and every so often slip over to the US and enjoy flying for $3 a
gallon and be subsidised by your tax $$s. That will taste sweet, knowing
that you are subsidising my flying.

See previous comment.

Old April 21st 05, 03:36 PM
Jay Honeck

Have you found one statistic that *PROVES* your point? (that aviation in
France
has been decimated by the French govt. aviation tax strategy?)

Okay, let's re-phrase the question, since the statistics I posted obviously
didn't register with you.

Why is aviation in France statistically out of proportion with its
population, as compared with the US, if NOT because of cost?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 21st 05, 03:40 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:54:02 -0700, Bob Fry
wrote in
::

Jay, what you don't understand is that you are the fat slob in the
floral shirt making an ass of himself and his countrymen by insulting
entire countries in a public place. The rest of us are the 300 other
Americans who don't want to be grouped with you.

Unlike the airport, here in Usenet some of us are criticizing your
statements loudly. But this isn't for your benefit. No, the protests
are for the non-US pilots and aviation aficionados reading this group.
We, the 300 bystanders, are trying to let them know that you are a
minority; that many, even most, Americans are not shallow bigots.

"In my opinion, it is a very helpful (and in some instances quite
necessary) virtue to be able to take criticism even if it is offensive
or insulting. In fact, even the most offensive criticism might (and
hopefully does!) contain insights that are valuable, and by
disregarding the entire criticism, you are throwing away that
insight. You may not like it, but it sometimes does pay to listen to
a person that is not as friendly as you'd like her to be."
-- Tobias Dussa

Old April 21st 05, 03:57 PM
Stella Starr

Jay Honeck wrote:

Show me one statistic that disproves that aviation in France hasn't been
decimated by the French government's predatory aviation gas tax strategy.

Decimated since when?
Post a reference statistic and time as a starting point.

What taxes particularly are you referring to?

Where does France get its processed petroleum products and what factors
make the cost of avgas what it is?

You just pulled thos whole argument out of your ass, dear, and while it
might make an interesting thesis for a classroom debate, you should quit
defending it unless you have a lot of facts to back up your assertions.

And why are people required to choose aviation as a pursuit based on the
population of their country? If you took every airport in the US and
laid them next to each other they'd probably take up an area the size of
France, but for some reason you consider it unfair that they haven't
accomplished exactly that phenomenon.
Old April 21st 05, 04:56 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:49:20 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in AbO9e.5855$WI3.1063@attbi_s71::

What is going to happen
to cigarette smoking in Iowa if (when?) the legislature double the tax on a
pack of smokes

Iowa smokers will purchase out of state.

Old April 21st 05, 05:03 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:55:25 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in hhO9e.5889$c24.2848@attbi_s72::

TRAINS?

High speed (180 mph) European trains are preferable to airline
transportation within Europe. No security lines nor baggage waiting,
and you can walk around and eat first class cuisine en route.

It's possible to travel in your sleep on slower European trains, save
the cost of a night's lodging, and arrive at your destination rested
and ready.

If you haven't tried it, don't knock it.

Old April 21st 05, 05:26 PM
Montblack

"Stella Starr"
You just pulled thos whole argument out of your ass, dear, and while it
might make an interesting thesis for a classroom debate, you should quit
defending it unless you have a lot of facts to back up your assertions.

(ass)ertions :-)

Montblack
Old April 21st 05, 07:37 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Why is aviation in France statistically out of proportion with its
population, as compared with the US, if NOT because of cost?

it simply doesn't appear on the radar of too many people. when I talk to
people
and it comes to aviation and me having a certificate, then most people
think
about many burdens, (too) much learning, etc. - they don't believe that it
is
rather easy to acomplish - even here in Europe.

Your putting the effect before the cause. Could it be that "it simply
doesn't appear on the radar of too many people" because it costs to damn
much to do it thier?

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 06:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM