A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Super simple portable flight recorder for beginning lessons?

Old July 30th 15, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
teck48[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Super simple portable flight recorder for beginning lessons?

Hello all. I'm about to take lessons to get back into gliding at Adrian Soaring Club here in Michigan. It's been twenty years since I've flown. Let's hope it's like riding a bicycle....

Thought it might be fun to use an online flight logbook that I could hopefully attach IGC files to to record and review my flights as a training aid. Moving into the 21st century... yes siree bob

I want something that I can turn on, stick in my pocket and turn off after flight. Then download flight track. It needs to be super simple - I don't need something that is a distraction. I don't need anything high performance and it doesn't need to read out in real time. Just an idiot proof data recorder. Is there something cheap and cheerful that would fit the bill? The thought is to replay over google earth (with IGC to KML conversion) then watch me fly pattern after pattern after pattern.

I'd bet I could try an app on my android phone (XC Soar) but that seems like overkill. Does it have a dumb mode? I just want something that's gonna work without fiddling.

Thanks much for any thoughts. Love this group. --Tom
Old July 30th 15, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 8:52:10 AM UTC-6, teck48 wrote:
Hello all. I'm about to take lessons to get back into gliding at Adrian Soaring Club here in Michigan. It's been twenty years since I've flown. Let's hope it's like riding a bicycle....

Thought it might be fun to use an online flight logbook that I could hopefully attach IGC files to to record and review my flights as a training aid.. Moving into the 21st century... yes siree bob

I want something that I can turn on, stick in my pocket and turn off after flight. Then download flight track. It needs to be super simple - I don't need something that is a distraction. I don't need anything high performance and it doesn't need to read out in real time. Just an idiot proof data recorder. Is there something cheap and cheerful that would fit the bill? The thought is to replay over google earth (with IGC to KML conversion) then watch me fly pattern after pattern after pattern.

I'd bet I could try an app on my android phone (XC Soar) but that seems like overkill. Does it have a dumb mode? I just want something that's gonna work without fiddling.

I'm biased since I wrote it...

My IGCDroid Android app was written with this in mind. I think its about as simple as you can get.

Alan
Old July 30th 15, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Someone on this forum about a year back suggested this data logger...

http://wingsandwheels.com/avionics-i...der-fr300.html

I bought it and have really enjoyed using it. It's the size of an oversized USB stick but fits nicely in a polo shirt pocket. Sometimes, I tape it on top of the instrument panel.

All you do is turn it on, there is a slider switch on the side. Once it locates enough satellites, it will automatically start recording when you begin your tow. Very hands off unless you want to press the round button to mark events. As a student pilot myself, I don't mess with that and focus on my flying.
Old July 30th 15, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 10:52:10 AM UTC-4, teck48 wrote:

Thought it might be fun to use an online flight logbook that I could hopefully attach IGC files to to record and review my flights as a training aid.. Moving into the 21st century... yes siree bob

And also there's the Naviter IGC recorder app for smartphones (both iphone and
android). I use it in exactly this way to record flights with students.
Occasionally I even upload to OLC. It's available in the app store or
google play for free.

Matt
Old July 30th 15, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Snyder
external usenet poster

I'm in a similar position (getting back into flying) and have found that XC Soar works really well for this. I initially tried to mount my smart phone (Galaxy S4 - built-in baro is amazing), but quickly realized this was overkill for the short training flights I'm doing. Now I just click the XC Soar icon and stick the phone in my pocket. The vario is nice since the 2-33 I fly doesn't have one. I just leave it running for multiple flights since the app takes care of breaking each flight into a separate IGC file that I upload to OLC. It's really nice to see the details each flight:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...t=olc&pi=58092
Old July 30th 15, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Top marks for XC Soar given the "multi tasking" & "re-education" after taking a break from the ONLY flying that exists.

I was in the very same predicament and wanted to concur the world after re-soloing for the "x" time.

As the man suggests, download XC soar onto a android device (apparently the Dell streak works well), d/l & install maps, punch it and ENJOY flying.
Old July 30th 15, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Stroschine
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 7:52:10 AM UTC-7, teck48 wrote:

Since my phone doesn't have good GPS (at least when it is in my pocket) I just got the FlywithCE logger and so far really like it. It's really easy to use, small, and it produces signed igc files so you can use it for some of your badges and on OLC.

HTH,
Dan
Old July 30th 15, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

You could also consider cumulus to be found here, http://www.kflog.org/cumulus/, it now runs on android but maybe it is an overkill for you. But all you have to do is turn it on, press L and it will log your flight
Philipp