METAR cheat sheet

Old February 9th 05, 12:10 AM
M.E. Borner

Default METAR cheat sheet

I would like to print and laminate a cheat sheet or cue card that
described the generic format for a METAR and decoded the abbreviations.
It would be helpful to have it in a small clear format so that when I
needed the information I would pull it out of the map pocket for
review.

Has anyone created such an item or are they aware of somewhere it is
available for purchase?

Old February 9th 05, 01:16 AM
Mitty

I recall having one that was approach plate size and Jepp punched. From the
Weather Service, I think. I can't lay my hands on it right now, though.

Also he http://www.zuluworks.com/zulucards.html

Old February 9th 05, 05:33 AM
John Clonts

"M.E. Borner" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to print and laminate a cheat sheet or cue card that
described the generic format for a METAR and decoded the abbreviations.
It would be helpful to have it in a small clear format so that when I
needed the information I would pull it out of the map pocket for
review.

Has anyone created such an item or are they aware of somewhere it is
available for purchase?

Do you recall that there's one in your AF/D?

Old February 9th 05, 10:02 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Banyan Air Service had one on their counter that I keep handy. I'm sure
they would mail you one - or you can have a copy of mine.

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

N326DK
CP-ASEL

Old February 10th 05, 01:51 AM
vincent p. norris

http://www.asy.faa.gov/safety_products/metar_taf.pdf

I noticed that site tells how to convert C to F, the HARD way.

Here's a much easier way: Double the C, add 30.

You'll be within a degree or two, close enough for government work.

vince norris
Old February 10th 05, 03:10 AM
kage

double the C
subtract 10%
add 32

Exact

Karl

Old February 10th 05, 03:31 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "kage" said:
double the C
subtract 10%
add 32

Exact

Add 40. Multiply by 9/5 or 5/9 depending on whether you're going F-C or
C-F. Subtract 40. Works both ways, exactly.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Mentally update my CV, paying special attention to the bits
Old February 10th 05, 08:30 AM
Ron Natalie

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, "kage" said:

double the C
subtract 10%
add 32

Exact

Add 40. Multiply by 9/5 or 5/9 depending on whether you're going F-C or
C-F. Subtract 40. Works both ways, exactly.

40? Where does 40 come from?

The formula is:
F = C*9/5 + 32
C = (F - 32) * 5 /9;

Kage's procedure is the same:
F = (2*c) - .1(2*c) +32 (which is the same as)
F = (1.8) * c + 32 (and also)
F = 9/5 * c + 32
Old February 10th 05, 12:16 PM
Ron Natalie

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, Ron Natalie said:

Paul Tomblin wrote:

Add 40. Multiply by 9/5 or 5/9 depending on whether you're going F-C or
C-F. Subtract 40. Works both ways, exactly.

40? Where does 40 come from?

Try it, it works. -40 is where the two values are equal, so essentially
you're moving the graph "F versus C" so that it goes through the origin,
applying the slope of the line, and then shifting it down again.

-40 + 40 = 0
0 * 5/9 = 0
0 - 40 = -40 - -40 F = -40 C

0 + 40 = 40
40 * 5/9 = 22.22
22.222 - 40 = -17.7777 - 0 F = -17.8 C

212 + 40 = 252
252 * 5/9 = 140
140 - 40 = 100 - 212 F = 100 C

And so on.

Oh I missed that you were always adding and subtracting 40 (it didn't
follow the "depending on weather..." Of course if you use 32 as your
contant (the difference between 0C and 0F), you don't have to apply the
offset twice.
Old February 10th 05, 01:13 PM
Paul Tomblin

Paul Tomblin wrote:
Add 40. Multiply by 9/5 or 5/9 depending on whether you're going F-C or
C-F. Subtract 40. Works both ways, exactly.

40? Where does 40 come from?

Try it, it works. -40 is where the two values are equal, so essentially
you're moving the graph "F versus C" so that it goes through the origin,
applying the slope of the line, and then shifting it down again.

-40 + 40 = 0
0 * 5/9 = 0
0 - 40 = -40 - -40 F = -40 C

0 + 40 = 40
40 * 5/9 = 22.22
22.222 - 40 = -17.7777 - 0 F = -17.8 C

212 + 40 = 252
252 * 5/9 = 140
140 - 40 = 100 - 212 F = 100 C

And so on.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Unfortunately, you go to war with the Secretary of Defense you have, not
the Secretary of Defense you wish you had."