Insurance in the USA

Old June 21st 04, 05:47 PM
Steve Hopkins

Default Insurance in the USA

Do the standard medical insurance policies in the
USA cover medical problems arising from gliding or
powered flying? Cosidering the benefits of emmigrating
to the colonies! Would appreciate contact details for
the major health insurers.
What general insurance policies are available to cover
pilots against 3rd party injury whilst flying club
aircraft? Is this covered by membership to the local
club or the SSA?

Old June 21st 04, 07:26 PM
Bill Daniels

"Steve Hopkins" k wrote in
message ...
Do the standard medical insurance policies in the
USA cover medical problems arising from gliding or
powered flying? Cosidering the benefits of emmigrating
to the colonies! Would appreciate contact details for
the major health insurers.
What general insurance policies are available to cover
pilots against 3rd party injury whilst flying club
aircraft? Is this covered by membership to the local
club or the SSA?

I have never seen a US health insurance policy exclude flying of any kind.
Maybe some do, but I haven't heard of it. No soaring organization provides
health insurance that I know of.

The real problem is getting adequate health insurance of any sort. The US
health care system is in a crisis. Most Americans are provided a minimum
level of health insurance as a employment benefit. If you get sick too
often, your employer may find an unrelated reason to fire you so health
insurance is lost. Major care private health insurance policies have
premiums that only wealthier citizens can afford.

Yes, I have had friends die of "poverty" or the inability to purchase life
saving treatment. That's becoming more common than most Americans know.

Bill Daniels

Old June 21st 04, 08:09 PM
Vaughn Simon

"Steve Hopkins" k wrote in
message ...
Do the standard medical insurance policies in the
USA cover medical problems arising from gliding or
powered flying?

Most medical insurance policies treat accidental injury separate from
other medical problems, and aviation accidents may well be excluded from
your coverage. AOPA will sell you aviation ad&d insurance for a nominal
(but non-trivial) sum. A medical certificate was once a requirement for
that coverage, but I see no mention of that now.

Old June 21st 04, 10:33 PM
Michael

"Bill Daniels" wrote
I have never seen a US health insurance policy exclude flying of any kind.

I have, more than once. It happens.

Yes, I have had friends die of "poverty" or the inability to purchase life
saving treatment. That's becoming more common than most Americans know.

I've seen it happen in a country that, in theory, had free medical
care for everyone. The difference between theory and practice is that
in theory there is no difference.

Michael
Old June 21st 04, 11:31 PM
ADP

A random search of 14 sites that sell accident and health insurance over the
Internet, yielded 14 sites that excluded coverage when:

Exclusion:
1. Airtravel, when traveling as a pilot or crewmember.

In addition, very few life insurance policies include "flying as a pilot or
crewmember" in their coverage.

The good news is AOPA (www.aopa.org) and EAA (www.eaa.org) have insurance
programs that specifically include pilots and crewmembers.

There may be others, as well.

The cost of belonging to these organizations is very small compared to their
benifits. (if the SSA has accident or life insurance programs, I am not
aware of them.)

Good luck and welcome.

Allan

Old June 21st 04, 11:41 PM
Brian Iten

My life insurance policy has a requirement that I have
400 hours logged before they will pay off if I die
in an accident related to me being a pilot. Haven't
looked into the medical insurance part so I will do
that now.....

Brian

Old June 22nd 04, 01:52 AM
Nyal Williams

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message news:PLFBc.83788$eu.14250@attbi_s02...
"Steve Hopkins" k wrote in
message ...
[...]

Some LIFE insurance policies will exclude "dangerous" sports
activities and name them. I had a policy thatwas "rated" (extra
premium) because of my flying.
Old June 22nd 04, 05:17 AM
Atacdad

As of last year, at least a 3rd class medical was required to qualify for
AOPA AD&D insurance.

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Steve Hopkins" k wrote

in
message ...

Old June 22nd 04, 11:22 AM
Vaughn

"Atacdad" wrote in message
As of last year, at least a 3rd class medical was required to qualify for
AOPA AD&D insurance.

I just enroled for that insurance this week and (for the first time) saw no
mention of that requirement on their site. Because I happen to have a medical,
I did not inquire. With the Sport Pilot thing in the works, it makes sense that
they would things things.

Vaughn