Female pilot accident rates

Old October 26th 04, 02:12 AM
George Z. Bush

"Schmoe" wrote in message
et...
T.Roger wrote:
And you wonder why women see a glass ceiling. It's golddiggers like
these and Andrea Mackris (Bill O'Reilly's accuser) that cause people
like me to avoid hiring women like the plague.

Yeah, there are no bad guys, only bad gold digger women. Who ****ed in your
Wheaties?

Before there ever were any women pilots, there were airplane crashes. I wonder
if it ever occurs to the critics of female pilots that women were never involved
in those crashes. (^-^)))

George Z.

Old October 26th 04, 02:56 AM
John Harlow

I haven't seen any stats on this, but it seems to me that, just
maybe, there could be a much higher rate of crashes when there
are ladies in the cockpit

There's a simple explanation:

on the hole, women have had far less stick time than men.

Old October 26th 04, 03:25 AM
BTIZ

are you seeing more women's names because more women are in the pilot pool?

this is a very poor statistic to properly evaluate..

How many thousands of accidents each year are male pilots that don't make
the news..

BT

"NoPoliticsHere" wrote in message
om...
I haven't seen any stats on this, but it seems to me that, just
maybe, there could be a much higher rate of crashes when there
are ladies in the cockpit. Maybe this is not the case, and I'm sure
the more PC gents here will be quick to jump on me for even suggesting
it, but during the past, I have noticed more than a few female names
mentioned in news reports about aircraft crashes (with them being one
of the pilots, or the only pilot). Just how many female professional
pilots are there? Aren't they involved in a disproportionately large
number of accidents? Drawing from memory, here are a few:

The accident yesterday that killed 10 with the NASCAR racing team
had a pilot named Liz (haven't met too many guys named Liz).
(Probably pilot error--reasonable guess--because the plane slammed
into Bull Mt. in foggy conditions.)

The commuter crash last week (Indiana?) had a pilot named Kim.

The commuter crash last year (plan overloaded) in Charlotte had
a female captain.

ValuJet crash in Everglades (in '96 I think) had a female captain.
(of course, this one could have gone down regardless of pilot skill,
but airliners *have* landed while blazing with flames (Ex: Air Canada
in Cincinatti I think).

The 1991 Colorado Springs 737 crash had a female in the cockpit.

A small cargo plane that landed here in town on a freeway (not on the
median, but ONTO rush hour traffic, making a firball out of a van,
killing the driver--female pilot survived) a few years ago had a lone
female pilot.

A fatal crash involving a Navy fighter (probably F-14) off a
carrier some time back had a female pilot (just how many female
F-14 pilots are there?)

See what I mean?

-----------

Old October 26th 04, 03:55 AM
zatatime

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:56:12 -0400, "John Harlow"
wrote:

There's a simple explanation:

on the hole, women have had far less stick time than men.

If you're going to talk about a woman's hole and a man's stick, I
don't know that this explanation "fits."

Old October 26th 04, 05:29 AM
tony roberts

Very well done - congratulations.
You even managed to blindside four regulars!
Looking forward to your next troll.

Do you take requests?
could you make it a Bush/Kerry thing?

Lots of us would enjoy that.

Thanks

Tony

Old October 26th 04, 08:38 AM
CZ

At one point female Navy jet flighter pilots had a much higher
accident rate than men. However, the Navy was quickly trying to
address a mandate from congress that they have a certain number of
women flying. Since there were fewer women applying, they selected
women that would not otherwise have qualified. They also pushed them
through faster with less training. The results were obvious. Much of
this came out after video come out showing a female pilot crashing
into the sea, missing the carrier as the LSO yelled "power, power,
power". Her parents asked for a congressional investigation and even
asked the navy to go down and retrieve the plane out of the ocean
(which they did). The result was almost 1/2 dozen different opinions
on the accident.

Robert:

This is the "MIR" for the famous Kara Hultgreen crash during a landing
attempt at USS Abraham Lincoln on October 25th, 1994.

http://www.panix.com/~baldwin/hultgreen_mir.txt

Left engine stalled on final to the boat:

"(AL) (P) As MA crossed ship's wake, MR noted MA five kts fast. During
post-mishap recollection MR recalled hearing an almost imperceptible
``pop'',
described as ``popcorn stall''type of sound. (3b)
(AM) (P) MA flew WUOSX, 42 to 45 DEG AOB. (13a, 17a, 4b, 5b)
(AN) (P) CLSO and BLSO observed excessive left YAW on MA; attributed to
perceived use of rudder to avoid overshoot. (4b, 5b) (AO) (P) MA rolled out
wings level at start, on speed, 325 feet agl, with 400 FPM rod and on
glideslope. (3b)
(AP) (P) MR scanned centered ball, then noticed MA five knots slow; looked
outside again, then noticed MA ten knots slow. (3b)
(AQ) (P) MR advised mp ``we're ten kts slow, let's get some power on the
jet.'' MP did not verbally acknowledge, but MP added power. (3b) (AR) (P)
MR
states aircraft started to YAW left. (3b)
(AS) (P) MA waved off by BLSO for WUOSX with left YAW. ``Waveoff'' was
echoed by CLSO cutting out BLSO's ``level your wings and climb.'' BLSO
subsequently transmitted ``power, raise your gear, raise your gear, power.''
``burner'' call was not used by LSO. ``Burner'' is a standard imperative
LSO
phrase. (17a, 4b, 5b)
(AT) (P) AB plume was visible from MA right engine only. (9b, 13b)"

Read "11. analysis." for conclusions

Old October 26th 04, 10:16 AM
Cub Driver

It is a well-known fact that men refuse to stop at gas stations or ask
directions. This doubtless explains why they account for the majority
of airplane crashes.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old October 26th 04, 10:18 AM
Cub Driver

My point is that many women are now being accepted through lower
entrance standards

I suspect it's the other way around. There are fewer women pilots,
ergo they are selected from a more adept pool of possible applicants.

Old October 26th 04, 03:03 PM
john smith

Something I was told years ago...
When there is one man and one woman in a light GA aircraft crash, they
usually are not married to each other.