Pw5 is the best for any class.

Old December 21st 04, 09:48 PM
John Sinclair

Eric wrote-----------------------------

Maybe staying away from gliders with a nose wheel would
work, too? Or
that landed slower than 45 knots?

Most ground-loops are caused by a wing tip catching
on something or other, not the nose wheel digging in.
The point is the Genesis doesn't have a boom, so it
can't break what it doesn't have. It's very short fuselage
is plenty strong enough to withstand a ground-loop
at 45 knots. BTW, most modern standard class ships
come over the fence at about 45 knots.
JJ

Old December 21st 04, 09:56 PM

pw5isthebest wrote:
Time for the annual PW5 discussion.

After reading all the negative posts here for years about how bad the
PW5 is and how it is leading to the downfall of Soaring around the
world, I have come to a realization.

It is FEAR. Yes, all these hotshots who put down this ship simply

could
not compete against other
sailplane pilots on a level playing field. They need their big

wallets
to stay competitive.

Most of them couldn't stay in the air in a ship of less than 40:1.

Put
these guys in a PW5 and Lennie
the Lurker could fly circles around them in his 1-26.

PW5's are the perfect ship for a new generation of competition

pilots.
BAH, HUMBUG on your LS-4$, they stopped making them for a reason.
PW-5's Forever ; )

Amen. Amen. Amen and amen. I like it. Someone with guts. Yes, PW-5 is
damn good glider...and those who fly "whatever" and are concerned about
the looks and span....well, can't help you there.

Old December 21st 04, 10:03 PM
Steve Hill

What a stupid comment towards Eric Greenwell...your presumption is that he
NEEDS 18 meters?? That's your logic based conclusion??? So then the rest of
the equation goes something like...the more span you get, the worse pilot
you are...and if you ad an engine the degradation probably multiplies by a
factor of two or so...

Man...I think you've turned me around....I'm gonna sell my DG-400 and go buy
a PW-5. I WANT to be the best...like you!!

I mean think how cool I'll be...sitting in my hangar, instead of going
flying during the middle of the week for the soaring season, because there's
no tow plane around...or no tow pilot...but I'll be cool, like you, sitting
in the hangar...

I can't believe you question a guy who promotes cross country soaring and is
a qualified and seasoned enthusiast and damn decent guy...not to mention a
damn fine sailplane pilot, one of whom I and many others look to for advice
and one who doesn't hide his good name or opinions behind a pseudonym.

I think I liked it better when we were just arguing election prophecy and
the downfall of western civilization...that was much more fun than this
stupidity.

Steve.

Old December 21st 04, 11:25 PM
pw5isthebest

Steve Hill wrote:
What a stupid comment towards Eric Greenwell...

Well now Steve, looks like I hit a nerve. Since it was Greenwell's
insult to all who own a ship with a nosewheel, why don't you
let him defend his own words?

Or are we gonna have another pile on about how so and so is
the greatest guy in the sport?

Man...I think you've turned me around....I'm gonna sell my DG-400 and

go buy
a PW-5. I WANT to be the best...like you!!

I don't think so. You probably need that motor in the back seat to keep
from
landing off field all the time.

I mean think how cool I'll be...sitting in my hangar

If you had any friends, you might get a tow once in a while...

I can't believe you question a guy (blah,blah,blah)

Let him fight his own battles.
Steve.

Old December 21st 04, 11:25 PM

My reply supposed to go under the very first posting. It has nothing to
do with Eric Greenwell so don't imply on anything.

Old December 21st 04, 11:34 PM
pw5isthebest

Tsk Tsk now you have hurt my little gliders feelings.
We all know that gliders aren't stupid, only pilots with no skill.
See my previous post about wingspan vs. talent.

I see you have gone the wingspan route.

The ASW-22, yes the Luftwaffe's finest creation.
comes with autopilot, yes?

Do you have the 22m or the 25m version?
I believe my PW's turn radius is inside your wingspan.
Probably bites to watch me climb thermals right past you.

AAAAHHHH, now were having a good time.
Where's good 'ol Lennie when we need him?

Old December 22nd 04, 12:21 AM
Steve Hill

Well well...lol...great topical conversation...I'd be glad to back up any of
my flights with logs from my data recorder. Of course I don't sit nameless
and faceless and act like I have the best sailplane around either...though I
will admit I love having that engine...I love not having to trouble my
friends with the hassles of retrieving me when I do have to set down
somewhere...and I really love getting to go when and where I want to go
soaring.

What a funny path you've chosen to go down...I simply don't see enough PW5's
around to justify the commentary that they have any affect on soaring at
all...but, to each their own. Guys have flown farther in far less
performance than they have to offer...I just think you ought to examine your
motives for stating your opinion, without stating your name. If you really
believe what you say, then stand up, tell everybody your opinion and let
them know who you are...don't be afraid...

As for me...I'm quite happy running my "thermal generator" and going soaring
when and where the weather is good...I'm also very happy with the level of
autonomy the self launcher affords me.

As for fighting ones own battles...why bother? I'd rather go flying...we
might have wave tomorrow. I will say maybe you should just back up your
comments with an offer of a duel...use the Sports Class Handicaps and go
prove your points based on actual accomplishments, instead of nameless
insults...Maybe you're right...maybe the PW-5 really IS better...give it a
shot!! See if you can back up your comments.

Steve.

Old December 22nd 04, 01:00 AM
Eric Greenwell

pw5isthebest wrote:

Tsk Tsk now you have hurt my little gliders feelings.
We all know that gliders aren't stupid, only pilots with no skill.
See my previous post about wingspan vs. talent.

I see you have gone the wingspan route.

The ASW-22, yes the Luftwaffe's finest creation.
comes with autopilot, yes?

Do you have the 22m or the 25m version?
I believe my PW's turn radius is inside your wingspan.
Probably bites to watch me climb thermals right past you.

AAAAHHHH, now were having a good time.
Where's good 'ol Lennie when we need him?

Now I'm wondering if Al is arguing with himself (or maybe it's Lennie
impersonating Al and trolling for both sides? Or a new player
entirely?). That'd be fun: be on both sides of a flame war! Why irritate
half the people when you can irritate all of them?

It's going to be a long winter...

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 22nd 04, 01:13 AM
Eric Greenwell

Steve Hill wrote:

As for fighting ones own battles...why bother? I'd rather go flying...we
might have wave tomorrow. I will say maybe you should just back up your
comments with an offer of a duel...use the Sports Class Handicaps and go
prove your points based on actual accomplishments, instead of nameless
insults...Maybe you're right...maybe the PW-5 really IS better...give it a
shot!! See if you can back up your comments.

I suggest the OLC contest as a battleground. I hope some PW5 pilot will
try to wrest the OLC championship from the 1-26 next year. I've decided
to enter the contest, after ignoring it since it's start, because I've
talked to a number of enthusiastic participants this year. Some of the
clubs really encourage their members to get out and fly cross-country to
build up the club's rating. It seems to be a good tool for motivating
members.

I'm looking forward to some flights great enough to overcome my glider's
1.20 handicap (currently ranked 467 - it's the slow time of the year for
us!).

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 22nd 04, 01:30 AM
Greybeard

On 21 Dec 2004 15:34:35 -0800, "pw5isthebest"
wrote:

AAAAHHHH, now were having a good time.

Me too.

Where's good 'ol Lennie when we need him?

Building a model of a german gliderport in HO scale.

(Ever try to get styrene wings to crumple like glass does? And
getting the nose of that asw something or other to look like it had
just busted through the back of the hangar after shearing off it's
wings on the partly open hangar doors was a real bitch. Getting
accurate hash marks from the Robin up the back of the motor glider was
much easier.)

But I'm not completely heartless, there _is_ a horse drawn beer wagon
parked next to the building. The lineboy is a meticulous chap,
picking up the fruit of the horse and depositing it in the nearest
open cockpit. With eight Clydesdales, he isn't going to be out of
work soon.

"NIce horsie, pick up your foot so Kurt can move his."