Oh decisions!

Old August 31st 05, 03:31 AM
W P Dixon

Default Oh decisions!

Well,
I got a new set of plans the other day for a Free Bird 103, with a 2 seat
option. Just your basic aluminum tube contruction..can't get much simplier
than that! yep, I added this set of planes along with all my others! HAHA So
many projects so little time and money ! I got irritated with the wood
situation with the VP, though the vertical ribs are done and I have the ply,
what part of it is good to build some horizontal ribs. One of the sheets
wasn't worth building a dog house out of
Still plugging away at a Luscombe. have some decent plans for some real
nice planes . Corbin Baby Ace 1930's and 1950's plans now ( I really like
that plane) , a Smith Termite, which is just a little sweetheart of a
looker..but usesthe dreaded wood I have so much touble getting around here.
The Early Bird Jenny, which I love but I am waiting for my wife's GEO to
bite the bullet so I can have my airplane engine Ahhhhh maybe a project
would be to build an airport and a few huge hangars!!!!?
The Free Bird looks like an very inexpensive project, and the simplicity
could have me in the air sooner than a more complicated design. Cheap to
operate as Experimental -Light Sport, and probably a great time
builder...which could help lessen insurance premiums.
That all being said, I know NOTHING about these 2 cycle engines that are
reccomended for the Free Bird, Rotax and Hirth etc. 50HP or greater would be
the way to go on this plane from the designers standpoint. The weight of 4
cycles is an issue for this little bird. Heck the weight period as far as
that goes. I do know alot of us, myself included, have reservations about
the 2 cycles. but beyond that, and knowing that this plane probably will
have to use one. Let's hear suggestions and pro's and cons of the different
two strokes. I have heard good thing about the Kawasaki 440, but would like
alittle more HP. Thoughts?

And I didn't even mention the JB-1 or JN-1 plans!!!!

--
Patrick Dixon
student SPL

Old August 31st 05, 04:40 AM
Richard Isakson

"W P Dixon" wrote ...
Still plugging away at a Luscombe.
The Free Bird looks like an very inexpensive project, and the

simplicity
could have me in the air sooner than a more complicated design.

Go with the Luscombe, it's a great airplane.

Rich

Old August 31st 05, 04:54 AM
W P Dixon

Hee Hee,
Well I agree with you there. The plan is a 8D, but it is an ongoing
project and Lord only knows how long it will take. I guess you could say it
is a piece at a time thing. So wanting something to get flying time in until
the Luscombe is ready and flying. A Luscombe is my dream plane, I love the
looks, and dang I can't wait to fly one! Found one for rent in the St Louis
area!

Patrick

"W P Dixon" wrote ...

Old August 31st 05, 06:22 AM
Ed Sullivan

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:31:00 -0400, "W P Dixon"
wrote:

That all being said, I know NOTHING about these 2 cycle engines that are
reccomended for the Free Bird, Rotax and Hirth etc. 50HP or greater would be
the way to go on this plane from the designers standpoint. The weight of 4
cycles is an issue for this little bird. Heck the weight period as far as
that goes. I do know alot of us, myself included, have reservations about
the 2 cycles. but beyond that, and knowing that this plane probably will
have to use one. Let's hear suggestions and pro's and cons of the different
two strokes. I have heard good thing about the Kawasaki 440, but would like
alittle more HP. Thoughts?

And I didn't even mention the JB-1 or JN-1 plans!!!!

I seriously doubt you got room for any more irons in your fire