Famous people

Old November 29th 04, 01:37 AM
Steven Barnes

Default Famous people

I went to my local FBO tonight for more time in the Diamond Star. I missed
Harrison Ford by 5 minutes. Watched his Pilatus warm up, taxi out & take
off. DAMN! I guess he just stopped for fuel. The guys at 1st Class knew he
was coming, so they hit him up for pictures & autographs. He signed
somebody's Indiana Jones box set. I was so ****ed.

It was a nice night for flying, though...

--

PP-ASEL, instrument

Old November 29th 04, 03:44 AM
Morgans

"Steven Barnes" wrote in message
I went to my local FBO tonight for more time in the Diamond Star. I missed
Harrison Ford by 5 minutes. Watched his Pilatus warm up, taxi out & take
off. DAMN! I guess he just stopped for fuel. The guys at 1st Class knew he
was coming, so they hit him up for pictures & autographs. He signed
somebody's Indiana Jones box set. I was so ****ed.

It was a nice night for flying, though...

++++++++++++++++++++

After how he shunned our little planes this year at OSH, I lost a lot of
respect for him. No, make that all respect for him.

When asked if he would take a ride in one, he said something to the effect
of, "are you kidding, I don't want to die."
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 29th 04, 05:23 AM
tony roberts

After how he shunned our little planes this year at OSH, I lost a lot of
respect for him. No, make that all respect for him.

When asked if he would take a ride in one, he said something to the effect
of, "are you kidding, I don't want to die."

I hadn't heard that.
And he is our new Young Eagles Leader?

So he is effectively saying that our aircraft are too dangerous for him
to fly in, while at the same time encouraging families around the world
to send their children up in them?

He should be made to clarify his position on this.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old November 29th 04, 05:30 AM
John Theune

tony roberts wrote:
After how he shunned our little planes this year at OSH, I lost a lot of
respect for him. No, make that all respect for him.

When asked if he would take a ride in one, he said something to the effect
of, "are you kidding, I don't want to die."

I hadn't heard that.
And he is our new Young Eagles Leader?

So he is effectively saying that our aircraft are too dangerous for him
to fly in, while at the same time encouraging families around the world
to send their children up in them?

He should be made to clarify his position on this.

Tony

I believe his comment was made in reference to ultralights, not small
planes in general.
Old November 29th 04, 06:40 AM
Morgans

"John Theune" wrote

I believe his comment was made in reference to ultralights, not small
planes in general.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

True, but a two seat "ultralight" can also be registered, have an N number,
and be completely legal to fly Young Eagles.

I can *almost* understand not wanting to fly in an ultralight, but his
answer showed a complete lack of respect for one "slightly removed" type of
aviation from his own single engine airplane. At worse, he showed no tact
with the reply.

I *do* question if he is the right person for the Young Eagles position.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 29th 04, 02:35 PM
Jay Honeck

I *do* question if he is the right person for the Young Eagles position.

I think his answer was supposed to be a joke.

In person, I'll bet people laughed. In writing, it appears insensitive and
dumb.

Which is true with all sorts of humor.

I don't know how much personal time and attention he'll give to the Young
Eagles program -- hopefully a lot -- but his choice as leader was a
brilliant PR move by EAA. All you had to do was attend one Young Eagles
program at OSH to see the stunning difference in attendance between 2003 and
2004.

Were they all there to see Ford? Many were, I'm sure. But if they picked
up some aviation enthusiasm along the way, we've won the first battle.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 29th 04, 03:01 PM
G.R. Patterson III

tony roberts wrote:

So he is effectively saying that our aircraft are too dangerous for him
to fly in, ....

No, he made that statement about ultralights.

George Patterson
My mother is 82 and she still doesn't need glasses.
Drinks right out of the bottle.
Old November 29th 04, 05:54 PM
zatatime

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:40:06 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

I *do* question if he is the right person for the Young Eagles position.

I agree from some of the stories I've heard about him getting certain
training to prep him for his movie.

Old November 29th 04, 11:47 PM
Rick Durden

Please don't create an urban myth out of a joking comment that was
made about ultralights. He never said he would not fly in general
aviation airplanes. Harrison Ford is an active general aviation
pilot, he was at OSH (he was at the party I attended on Monday night
in the aircraft camping area) and supports general aviation. He made
a crack about ultralights that was probably uncalled for, as it
offended a lot of people who didn't realize it was in jest.

All the best,
Rick