LASIK eye surgery and 3rd class medical

Old August 15th 05, 12:53 AM
Nick Funk

Default LASIK eye surgery and 3rd class medical

Is LASIK approved procedure for third class medical?
Sooner or later, I might have LASIK (wavefront) done to my left eye for
correcting vision problems. But if it causes problem with maintaining a
third class medical, I will just stick with my glasses.

Any information is greatly appreciated!
Nick
Old August 15th 05, 01:18 AM
LWG

I had LASIK on both eyes for nearsightedness. I have never had any problems
with getting a 3rd class medical because of it. There is a little more
paperwork your AME will want, such as records from the opthamologist. I
think there was also a form for the opthamologist to fill out, but it's been
about 5 years. This is only a one-time thing. Once I got my first medical
after the LASIK, repeat medicals just involved eye testing using the charts.

Les

Old August 15th 05, 01:39 AM
Dave S

Check the AOPA website for details.

You will need a letter from the surgeon stating that you are free of
permanent side effects such as halos, starring, etc. (there is some
boilerplate language on the AOPA website). Here is the kicker:
immediately post op you will probably HAVE some side effects and they
resolve as you heal. What makes them permanent is IF they go away.

Does that sound like a gamble? Well, the key to it is being screened
properly so that you are an ideal candidate: cornea is thick enough,
your pupils do not dilate beyond the size of the "zone of correction"
that the machine is FDA approved for, etc.. You want a surgeon who will
tell you if you are a good candidate or not, NOT someone who will take
your money.

When i had mine over 4 years ago, I self grounded for a week or two, and
once i was clear of all issues, the surgeon signed off on the text that
I provided for him to place on his letterhead. I then mailed off the
stuff to OKC, and I provided a copy for review to my AME at my next
physical over a year later (which was a 2nd class).

No problems and smooth sailing since. To avoid surprises, have a copy of
the text prepared and have the surgeon read it BEFORE you have the
procedure, so he knows exactly what you are looking for.

Dave

Old August 15th 05, 02:33 AM
John T

I had my surgery in 2001. I went for my 1st 3rd class in 2002, about 18
months later.

FAA sent me a 2 page form for my opth (I can't spell it...) to fill out.
Unfortunately at the time, I didn't know better, and trusted the doctor
to send it in. Now that I'm nearing my check ride, I find out about
this, so they sent me another copy of the form, I go to a different
doctor and I send in the forms myself. FAA said no problem.

I think there is also the possibility you might have to wait 6 months
after the surgery??? I seem to recall something about that.

It doesn't stop you from flying though. You can fly, just not as PIC.

John

Old August 15th 05, 02:34 AM
Newps

Nick Funk wrote:

Is LASIK approved procedure for third class medical?

We have three controllers here at BIL that had LASIK up in Canada about
7-8 years ago. No problems with a second class medical and they were
all working again within a week of the procedure.

Old August 15th 05, 03:45 AM
Jim Burns

I've looked into it a couple times. From what I remember your
ophthalmologist will have to submit a statement to Oklahoma City stating
that your vision has stabilized WHEN that occurs. I've been told that can
be anywhere from a couple weeks to several months. The risk of not being
able to fly for a few months has turned me off on the idea.

Can anybody else add anything? I'm still interested.

Jim

Old August 15th 05, 04:51 AM
Joe Feise

Richard Riley wrote on 08/14/05 19:14:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:53:19 -0500, Nick Funk
wrote:

:Is LASIK approved procedure for third class medical?
:Sooner or later, I might have LASIK (wavefront) done to my left eye for
:correcting vision problems. But if it causes problem with maintaining a
: third class medical, I will just stick with my glasses.
:
I had PRK - not LASIK, but similar - last year. One eye in April, one
in December.

I had my physical in March. There was a form for my Ophthalmologist
to fill out, asking about halos, visual accuity, a couple of charts,
that kind of thing. He did, I sent it in, they sent it back wanting
more detail that he thought was silly and already answered, but he did
it anyway. They approved with the notation that if anything changed
I'd have to notify my AME.

Same here, also with PRK, 13 years back. When I went for my first
Medical in 93, they sent me this nice letter saying that if anything
changes, I'd have to notify the AME.

I'd suggest you ask about PRK. It's a somewhat older procedure. It

uses the same laser to change the shape of the surface of the cornea,
instead of the inside of a flap. The recovery is longer, but the
complication rate is lower. The complications from LASIK are pretty
low to begin with, but I figure they're my eyes, I want the rate to be
zero. PRK is pretty close to zero.

I agree. Didn't have any problems in the 13 years since I had PRK.

-Joe
Old August 15th 05, 05:03 AM
Morgans

"Jim Burns" wrote

Can anybody else add anything? I'm still interested.

I really like my 47 year old, bifocal wearing vision, compared to the small
chance that an eye surgery could take all of that away.

I would want the chance of having a complication down to 1 in 475 trillion,
before I would go for it.

Just my opinions, though.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 15th 05, 03:26 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Jim Burns" wrote

Can anybody else add anything? I'm still interested.

I really like my 47 year old, bifocal wearing vision, compared to the
small
chance that an eye surgery could take all of that away.

I would want the chance of having a complication down to 1 in 475
trillion,
before I would go for it.

Just my opinions, though.
--
Jim in NC

I had really been thinking of getting Lasik done. Then I saw the doctors
that invented the process on TV. (They were getting some award) They all had
glasses.

Old August 15th 05, 05:18 PM
Dave S

I had really been thinking of getting Lasik done. Then I saw the doctors
that invented the process on TV. (They were getting some award) They all had
glasses.

There is another change that occurs in they eye as you reach middle and
older age: The lens of the eye becomes stiffer and less flexible. This
affects the eye's ability to "accomodate" or focus on items at different
distances.

Even though I had my Lasik before the age of 30, I know that I will
likely need "reading" glasses again before I reach 50. That still makes
it worth it, having clear vision on awakening, instead of having to put
in -5.0 contacts or find my glasses before I can go do things.

It would have even been better when I was a paramedic and volunteer
firefighter, as when I was a medic, I had to sleep in my "extended wear"
lenses overnight on the nights I worked.. and I had to PUT IN my lenses
before I could run a fire call.

Overall, it was worth it. But as someone else said.. there IS a risk
that you may have permanent side effects, particularly at night. Do your
homework. Get SEVERAL free evaluations from different physicians. Make
sure you are a good candidate.

Dave