OSH for the uninitiated...

Old June 5th 05, 10:23 PM
Jay Honeck

You think I have a shot at a dorm room if I just "show up" Sunday morning?
I enjoyed my dorm experience 2 years ago - plus $44/night is not bad!!

What? You're not going to sleep sitting on a box in the middle of a flooded
tent again?

Wimp!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 5th 05, 10:27 PM
Jay Honeck

I think Jay was saying that autogas in IOW is somewhere around a
buck-ninety a gallon.

Just filled the Grape for $1.94 per gallon this morning...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 5th 05, 10:29 PM
Jay Honeck

Yep, one of those things that was crummy at the time since it meant going
to a different airport if I wanted to rent. I figure it really pushed me
into ownership about a year or two ahead of when I thought I'd take the
plunge. No looking back now, especially since we're operating for *less*
than another FBO in the area charges for their wet rate on a C-152.

Oh, crap, Jack, now you've done it. I felt a ripple in the Force when you
said that....

Once you brag about how cheap your plane is to operate, that opens the Gates
of Hell, and out come all the Expensive Demonic Repairs.

Sorry, man. Brace yourself.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 6th 05, 12:25 AM
John T

I must admit, this will be my-(calculating...)16th Oshkosh, and I
haven't seen the seaplane base yet. I'll have to make it this year
though, for the Fish fry at least.

John

Old June 6th 05, 03:12 AM
Morgans

"Jack Allison" wrote

No looking back now, especially since we're operating
for *less* than another FBO in the area charges for their wet rate on a
C-152.

Are you also including a fund for: engine overhaul reserve, annual
inspection expenses reserve, and hangar or tiedown, in your per hour
calculation? If so, that is truly great news!
--
Jim in NC

Old June 6th 05, 03:27 AM
RST Engineering

Jim ....

Please..."annual inspection expenses reserve" should be out of your
vocabulary. The annual inspection should be something on the order of
$200-400. What the inspection REVEALS if not taken care of during the year
might be a hell of a lot more. But don't lay the cost of preventive
maintenance on the annual.

My annual this year (if I couldn't do it myself) would be $150. The
cylinder inspection and replacement of parts is another $600. The muffler
with deteriorated flame tubes is another $600. The muffler shroud is $200.
Is this $1400 part of the annual? I think not. Please separate "average
preventive maintenance" from the "annual".

Thanks,

Jim

Old June 6th 05, 04:06 AM
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:

Hy my name is Paul and I'm afraid to get wet. I know how to fire up a
mean BBQ (but not nearly as mean as Jim's) but I'm afraid to get wet. I
want hot and cold (as opposed to one temperature) showers (the only time
I'm not afraid to get wet). I have to drive to Oshkosh and I'm afraid
to get wet. I could camp near a couple of really great looking Pipers
where the ice chest always has a cold one but, you guessed it, I'm
afraid to get wet.

:-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old June 6th 05, 04:19 AM
Jack Allison

Morgans wrote:

Are you also including a fund for: engine overhaul reserve, annual
inspection expenses reserve, and hangar or tiedown, in your per hour
calculation? If so, that is truly great news!

Yep, this is including all fixed and variable expenses. Variable
expenses including engine/maintenance reserves and fuel run right at
$50/hr., depending on fuel cost. Tack on another $200/month for each
one of us (three partners) and that has put it right at $70/hr. for my
hours each of the last two months.

Old June 6th 05, 04:21 AM
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:

Oh, crap, Jack, now you've done it. I felt a ripple in the Force when you
said that....

Man, not only is the PPL a license to learn, ownership is too! May the
force be with me :-)

Old June 6th 05, 04:27 AM
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:

I think Jay was saying that autogas in IOW is somewhere around a
buck-ninety a gallon.

Just filled the Grape for $1.94 per gallon this morning...

;-)

Wow, less than $2/gal auto gas. Haven't seen that in quite some time
around here. Currently right around $2.20.