Homebuilt kits

Old December 20th 05, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Homebuilt kits

Cal, if you haven't flown for over 30 years, you're probably not a kid
anymore and would like to get in the air as quickly as possible.
I was where you're at at one point and looked at all the designs before
I chose, so don't think I'm biased just because I made a long, thought out
decision and finally decided. And yes, I chose the Van's RV7-A Quickbuild
kit.
The QB kit is well worth it for us older builders because, let's face
it, we may not have all that many years left before we bust our medicals. We
don't need to be spending 5 to 7 years or more building something we may
never get to fly.
So the reasons I chose the RV7-A QB over anything else is:
Time - While it's going to be around 1-1/2 years before I'm flying, one
recent Van's QB kit builder was flying after 5-1/2 months. I'm finding that
availability of spendable cash limits my progress more than building time.
Still, I'll be flying by next summer.
Quality - The quality and accuracy of the pre-punched kits from Van's is
now legendary. Do some heavy google searching and find out how long the
average Van's kit builder takes to get flying, and more importantly, the %
of Van's kits that actually get completed. Then see if you can find the
average time it takes another kit maker's customers to get flying as well as
how many kits were sold vs. how many will ever fly.
The Numbers - There are now almost 4500 of Van's aircraft flying. That's
a pretty amazing number compared against ALL other kit makers COMBINED. With
those numbers, you have a multitude of online sources for support and
information specifically with regard to the exact aircraft you build.
So make your choice and don't look back. I'm just saying that after I
looked at everything I could, the ONLY choice for my purposes was one of the
Van's QB kits.

MJC

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message

Thinking of building. Have been looking around and not found the kind of
selection I though was available. Found Zenith, Sonex and Vans. Of the
three, I'm looking a little harder at the two seaters from Vans (RV-7
and -9) and Zenith (Zodiac XL). Obviously different performance but costs
don't seem that much different.

Would anyone be willing to share their experiences with building kits from
these companies? Any comments on flight characteristics of these planes?
Reliability? Any information to share? Reputation? Etc?

I stopped flying a little over 30 years ago but have ~ 1200 hours and a
CASMELI.

I'm in the midwest U.S.

TIA,

CV

Old December 27th 05, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate the feedback.

A new development....

I was reviewing the medical requirements and have a few "conditions"
that might jeopardize my ability to get a 3rd class medical. Not that
I'm not able to fly, but might not get a 2nd or 3rd class without a lot
of additional paperwork. The thought of that makes me cringe. It also
makes me reconsider my options.

So it looks like a light sport is more in line until I can get some
resolution with my doctor.

I expect the popularity of light sport to take off and am considering
gaining (or renewing my old) my CFI in light sport. Sounds like fun in
any case.

So in light of this, any suggestions that might help me find the right
light sport plane (to build)?

BTW, I live within 2 hours of Mexico, MO, but I want the "right" plane.

TIA,

CV

Old December 27th 05, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Since you originally mentioned the 601XL and you live that close to the
factory the 601 might be the plane for you. The build options are about a
good as they get. Plans, Section-by-section kit, full kit, quick build kit
or the quickest build option by it built.

The 601XL fits the LSA qualifications and is as fast as a plane can be and
still be within the LSA limits.

Drive up to Mexico Mo and test fly the thing then decide.

Gig G