Gentle take-offs at high speed

Old November 10th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Gentle take-offs at high speed

Is there any harm in taking off at a relatively high speed and very
gently? There seems to be plenty of runway in most cases for small
aircraft. If I leave the ground at 120 kts instead of the normal
rotation speed, I find that I can lift off ever so gently. Plus I
have lots of airspeed if something goes wrong during my gentle climb.
Are there drawbacks to this that I'm missing?

Old November 11th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Is there any harm in taking off at a relatively high speed and very
gently? There seems to be plenty of runway in most cases for small
aircraft. If I leave the ground at 120 kts instead of the normal
rotation speed, I find that I can lift off ever so gently. Plus I
have lots of airspeed if something goes wrong during my gentle climb.
Are there drawbacks to this that I'm missing?

All these past takeoffs wasted... Never again! From now on, I'm doing
high speed "gentle" takeoffs.

Old November 11th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Real world flying, tires have speed limits, extra speed
burns the tires up and the stop gets very expensive.

oups.com...

Old November 11th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
BT

you are in a SIM
the SIM does not care
airplanes may..
120knts on a Cessna and you'll be on the nosewheel only
BT

Old November 11th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Mxsmanic wrote:
Is there any harm in taking off at a relatively high speed and very
gently? There seems to be plenty of runway in most cases for small
aircraft. If I leave the ground at 120 kts instead of the normal
rotation speed, I find that I can lift off ever so gently. Plus I
have lots of airspeed if something goes wrong during my gentle climb.
Are there drawbacks to this that I'm missing?

Most of us take off at a higher speed for a normal landing. The only
time you leave the ground at minimum speed is for "soft field"
technique. 120kts is insane for a span can but you may be flying the
737.

-Robert

Old November 11th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Jim Macklin wrote:

Real world flying, tires have speed limits, extra speed
burns the tires up and the stop gets very expensive.

in addition, you would have to keep pushing quite a bit
to prevent the aircraft from taking off, thus forcing
the nose wheel down, and you don't really want the nose
wheel down at higher speed. Another detail that MS FS
gets wrong I reckon (it does a reasonable good job as long
as you keep things well within the envelop so to speak,
but as soon as you start doing something a bit odd, it is
unlikely to behave realistically).

--Sylvain
Old November 11th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Is there any harm in taking off at a relatively high speed and very
gently? There seems to be plenty of runway in most cases for small
aircraft. If I leave the ground at 120 kts instead of the normal
rotation speed, I find that I can lift off ever so gently. Plus I
have lots of airspeed if something goes wrong during my gentle climb.
Are there drawbacks to this that I'm missing?

Of course!

A normal takeoff is very gentle and comfortable compared
to rumbling over a real-world bumpy runway at 120kts.
Your simulator is wrong if it says that a high speed takeoff
is more gentle. I suspect it's not accurately simulating
runway texture and bumps. Air under the wings makes
a far more comfortable shock absorber than the oleo strut.

Tire wear is greatly accelerated by going faster than the rated
speed. A blowout at faster than rated speed would not
be pretty.

Crosswind gusts are a potential safety issue while your wheels
are contacting the ground, but they're not a big problem once
you're airborne. The gear was not designed to take strong
side loads.

To maximize options if an engine goes out, you want to have
plenty of altitude under you, not over you. It's best to climb
to a reasonable altitude quickly.

Old November 11th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Real world flying, tires have speed limits, extra speed
burns the tires up and the stop gets very expensive.

You can say THAT again! Not in the GA venue of course, but the tire pressure
on a T38's mains is 250psi. When you blow these suckers, you'll think you've
been shot!
The T38 rotates at 160, max tire speed is 220, and gear speed is 240kts. In
this airplane, you are accelerating so fast on takeoff that rotation, and
gear retraction are practically one fluid motion....and indeed they HAVE to
be, to meet the Vle parameters.
Of course, GA airplanes are a bit tamer!! :-)
Dudley Henriques

Old November 11th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Airplanes tires are small diameter [generally] and the
rotation speed creates high forces. Jets and a few light
twins sit on the ground at a negative angle of attack. A
positive rotation is needed to lift-off, but most light
aircraft want to lift-off just past stall speed.

There is no good reason to keep any airplane on the ground
at a speed higher than Vr or Vmc+5 and the nicest take-offs
are the ones where you rotated 4° up 10 knots below stall
speed and fly off the runway just above minimum stall speed.

The Beechjet 400 is flown to Vr and given a firm pull to 15°
nose up to hit the target V2 speed. It isn't very suave.

Dudley knows this, I just said it for the others out there.

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

Old November 11th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Richard[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Is there any harm in taking off at a relatively high speed and very
gently? There seems to be plenty of runway in most cases for small
aircraft. If I leave the ground at 120 kts instead of the normal
rotation speed, I find that I can lift off ever so gently. Plus I
have lots of airspeed if something goes wrong during my gentle climb.
Are there drawbacks to this that I'm missing?

Wellll....from a groundpounding skydiving perspective...

you lift *off* per normal rotation speed but stay in ground effect to
build up airspeed and then swoop up several hundred feet or so at
1000fpm (Cessna, not a Twin Otter say). 'less you're a ground loving,
dirt kissing pussy. And I'm not saying you are...but some of your posts
make me wonder if perhaps you'd be best served by Microsofts "Bus"
Simulator.

Just my 2 cents.

Richard

Crosswind Landings... But airspeed? Jmarc99 Soaring 21 October 4th 05 07:54 PM
Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
IVO pireps wanted.. high performance/high speed... Dave S Home Built 8 June 2nd 04 04:12 PM
High Speed Passes & the FAA (long) JJ Sinclair Soaring 17 October 15th 03 12:16 AM