New Plan -- Going to Kill Devil Hills

Old March 11th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Default New Plan -- Going to Kill Devil Hills

"Tony" wrote in message
ups.com...
Get your butt to Jamestown VA, not far from your planned stop.

Battlefields, history, great waterfront.

There's a biker's bar there right on the waterfront, and this is
serious -- don't miss it. The atmosphere (there is cigarette smoke, be
warned) is great fun, you and your kids will see very professional
looking people get out and fire up their Harleys, and others' inked
and tatooed, get in their minivans and drive away.

It's not far from there to Williamsburg. Don't bother getting a
ticket, park and walk through the area, visit old houses, enjoy the
history.

Buy some VA peanuts at the Peanut Shio! You'll never buy Planters
again.

Go look at the fleet at Newport News.

Wilmington NC is worth a stop, visit the Battleship, walk through some
old cotton factories.

On the way south stop in Charleston SC. Get down near the waterfront
and learn what a charming Southern City is really like. It's almost as
nice as Chapel Hill NC. Maybe nicer.

Charleston is incredible. Nicest people in the world, plenty of excellent
restaurants, a neat open air market, and incredible walking tours that
address the fabulous houses South of Broad Street (Where the SOB's live),
and plenty of area history including pre, during, and post Civil war.

A definite stop. I'd suggest avoiding a weekend this time of year. You
probably won't find accomodations.

You'll be passing over New Orleans as well. The French Quarter will be
alive and well, even during Lent.

Follow my advice and you won't have time for TX!

KB

Old March 11th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
A few notes from when I lived in Chapel Hill and flew an Ercoupe a few
years ago.

snip of great stuff

Wow -- thanks Ryan, Jim, "John", Vincent, Don, and anyone else I'm
forgetting. Sounds like we could easily take a month just to explore
that area of the country!

The weather will dictate our schedule, as it always does, but I think
it's gonna be W. Virgina tonight, Kitty Hawk Monday, up and down the
coast Tuesday, Pensacola Wednesday....and by then, who knows? We're
like gypsies on these trips, so it doesn't do any good to think much
beyond Wednesday...

If you're in the area, you'll regret not spending a full day in
Charleston...

The museum at P-cola is nice, but (IMO) it is the only reason to visit the
city. For a family, even an aviation family, there may be better
destinations unless you're gonna be in the area anyway. For instance, the
Air Force Museum at Warner Robbins, GA (Near Macon) is 2nd only to the Air
Force museum in terms of USAF (and AAC) aircraft on display. And it is
closer to Charleston and Savannah.

And, if you go to Warner Robbins, you can turn the trip back north, visit
the Aircraft Spruce store at Falcon Field near Atlanta, head NW to the Space
and Rocket museum at Huntsville, Alabama to see the only erected (IIRC)
Saturn rocket in existance.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

KB

Old March 11th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
swag

On Mar 11, 5:49 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
A few notes from when I lived in Chapel Hill and flew an Ercoupe a few
years ago.

snip of great stuff

Wow -- thanks Ryan, Jim, "John", Vincent, Don, and anyone else I'm
forgetting. Sounds like we could easily take a month just to explore
that area of the country!

The weather will dictate our schedule, as it always does, but I think
it's gonna be W. Virgina tonight, Kitty Hawk Monday, up and down the
coast Tuesday, Pensacola Wednesday....and by then, who knows? We're
like gypsies on these trips, so it doesn't do any good to think much
beyond Wednesday...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Last year I vacationed in the barrier islands and my favorite activity
was renting a Jeep and driving up to Corolla until the road ends and
then driving the beach and dunes and looking at the wild horses. The
local Jeep-Chrysler dealer is within a mile of Kill Devil Hills and
will deliver a car to the airport. If you do this, remember to let
some air out of the tires when you exit the road to drive on the
dunes. (But the dealer will instruct you on this.)

Old March 11th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stan Prevost[_1_]

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

head NW to the Space and Rocket museum at Huntsville, Alabama to see the
only erected (IIRC) Saturn rocket in existance.

There is more than one Saturn rocket erected here. But you are probably
referring to the Saturn V moon rocket, the largest one. Also see Mercury
capsule, SR71, space shuttle, etc. etc.

Stan

Old March 11th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The museum at P-cola is nice, but (IMO) it is the only reason to visit the
city. For a family, even an aviation family, there may be better
destinations unless you're gonna be in the area anyway. For instance, the
Air Force Museum at Warner Robbins, GA (Near Macon) is 2nd only to the Air
Force museum in terms of USAF (and AAC) aircraft on display. And it is
closer to Charleston and Savannah.

I've always wanted to visit Warner-Robbins, as my parents were
stationed there for a year during World War II. This was pre-air
conditioning, and my mom always spoke of the area with both affection
and repulsion. (My dad, a "90-day-wonder", had little time to worry
about the weather.)

And, if you go to Warner Robbins, you can turn the trip back north, visit
the Aircraft Spruce store at Falcon Field near Atlanta, head NW to the Space
and Rocket museum at Huntsville, Alabama to see the only erected (IIRC)
Saturn rocket in existance.

Cool! Thanks for the suggestion. We're outta here in about an
hour...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 11:07:31 -0500, "Stan Prevost" wrote:

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

head NW to the Space and Rocket museum at Huntsville, Alabama to see the
only erected (IIRC) Saturn rocket in existance.

There is more than one Saturn rocket erected here. But you are probably
referring to the Saturn V moon rocket, the largest one. Also see Mercury
capsule, SR71, space shuttle, etc. etc.

And if I recall my week at Space Camp correctly, the erected Saturn V is a
replica. They do have an actual one displayed horizontally, and some of the
"little" Saturns erected.

Ron Wanttaja
Old March 11th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"john smith" wrote:

Mobile AL
Lunch or dinner with Dan Luke

Fried softshell crabs at the Original Oyster House...mmmmm!

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 11th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Scarborough Inn on Roanoke Island just south of Kill Devil Hills. Run by
Rebecca Scarborough. The restaurant across the street and down a block has
the best Carolina (vinegar based) barbecue I've ever tasted. The memorial
is about fifteen minutes away. First Flight airport can handle Atlas.

Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...

Any recommendations?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

The lighthouses are magnificent.

Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...

Anything else to see in the area besides the Wright Bros Memorial?

Old March 11th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"swag" wrote

Last year I vacationed in the barrier islands and my favorite activity
was renting a Jeep and driving up to Corolla until the road ends and
then driving the beach and dunes and looking at the wild horses. The
local Jeep-Chrysler dealer is within a mile of Kill Devil Hills and
will deliver a car to the airport. If you do this, remember to let
some air out of the tires when you exit the road to drive on the
dunes. (But the dealer will instruct you on this.)

EXCELLENT suggestion. I hope you got this in time, before you left.

Blue skies
--
Jim in NC