Fun toy to have

Old August 21st 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default Fun toy to have

Jay Honeck wrote:
Like that old saying "No one ever got fired for buying IBM equipment", no
one gets fired for buying that microsoft junk.

I've switched over almost entirely to Vista (three laptops, two desktops
-- still have three desktops running XP) and like it.

You are in the minority. I saw a report on slash dot that 2/3s of
computers that had Vista on them now have reverse migrated back to XP.
Old August 21st 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Smith wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

Let's start again: I was asking about the specific example of the
recalled Chinese toys that were painted with lead paint. Did anyone
hear anything about anyone being injured by this event?

Luckily, no. So, luckily, the governement acted timely. However, there
have been intoxinations caused by long time exposure to lead in the
past. The best known example is probably the antique Rome. No need to
repeat every mistake.

For more information about the toxity of lead:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead#Health_effects

The majority of lead poisoning cases in children in the US are among
immigrant children treated with folk remedies.

Here's just one article about it; there are lots:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22782271/

In the Southwest, almost all cases fall into this catagory.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old August 21st 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,alt.fan.karl-malden.nose
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

I never heard of any kids being hurt in this
lead-paint situation -- did you?

A bunch of unrelated stuff snipped

I find nothing relevant here, Stella, unless you'd like to discuss
some unrelated lead-paint-scare press releases from (among others) the
most corrupt politician in Illinois history, with the possible
exception of King Daley?

Let's start again: I was asking about the specific example of the
recalled Chinese toys that were painted with lead paint. Did anyone
hear anything about anyone being injured by this event? I can find
nothing about any injuries in the media.

Yeah, but you only look at faux news, so...

Bertie
Old August 21st 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,alt.fan.karl-malden.nose
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in
newsl7rk.252117$TT4.151102@attbi_s22:

I've switched over almost entirely to Vista (three laptops, two
desktops --
still have three desktops running XP) and like it.

you are a sick sick man.... :-)

It's fast, it's intuitive, it's easy, and it's cheap, relatively
speaking.

Actually, the only gripe I've had with Vista is getting XP machines to
work/print on a Vista network, which has been stupidly hard. The OS
itself has been utterly bulletproof.

Perfect for you, a system for idiots

Bertie

Old August 21st 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

You are in the minority. I saw a report on slash dot that 2/3s of
computers that had Vista on them now have reverse migrated back to XP.

Perhaps, but given the thousands of Vista machines that are sold daily, my
minority status won't last long. As is always the case with OS upgrades,
there is now a growing group of young computer owners who have known nothing
but Vista, who will regard XP the way we regard Windows 3.1 or DOS.

I have found nothing about Vista to complain about, other than the
aforementioned networking-with-XP-machines difficulty. It's stable, easy to
use, fast, and offers some enhancements and eye-candy that XP didn't have.

More importantly, I found the migration from XP to Vista to be completely
intuitive, with no instruction or help screens required. I just got to
work, and the OS simply disappeared, as every good OS should.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 21st 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

I mis-remembered the story I quoted. The actual story was the 35% of new
Windows computers are downgraded either at the factory or by the user
shortly after purchase from Vista to XP.

So there are still thousands of XP machines shipping and those are
people that made the decision to not use Vista.

I tested Vista on one machine in our office. It ran slower than the same
machine with XP. There was a lack of drivers for some fairly common
hardware and this was about 8 months after Vista shipped.

MS pretty much knows it built a dog. That's why they have kept pushing
back the drop dead date on XP.
Old August 22nd 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

I tested Vista on one machine in our office. It ran slower than the same
machine with XP. There was a lack of drivers for some fairly common
hardware and this was about 8 months after Vista shipped.

MS pretty much knows it built a dog. That's why they have kept pushing
back the drop dead date on XP.

This will seem obvious as written, but it seems to escape many of the
people I talk to on a day-to-day basis:

Most of the machines that Vista is meant to run on haven't been built
(or, in fact, designed) yet. That includes the systems presently being
sold.

Meanwhile -MOST- early-stage software products, especially Microsoft
OSes and web browers, are buggy and insecure crap for at least the first
year after they're released because X-million people haven't found
X-million ways to break them.

I work with a guy who actually CAMPED OUT for the midnight release of
Windows 95 at Incredible Universe. He CAMPED OUT for an operating system.

And, wouldn't you be surprised; he's still single. But he's got a
killer new Mac on which to play World of Warcraft and Flight Simulator X.

-c
Old August 22nd 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

gatt schrieb:
And, wouldn't you be surprised; he's still single. But he's got a
killer new Mac on which to play World of Warcraft and Flight Simulator X.

he probably wouldn't be able to afford that MAC being married. :-)

#m
Old August 22nd 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Martin Hotze wrote:
gatt schrieb:

And, wouldn't you be surprised; he's still single. But he's got a
killer new Mac on which to play World of Warcraft and Flight Simulator X.

he probably wouldn't be able to afford that MAC being married. :-)

Very true. Or the plasma screen, or Wii, or PS3, Rock Band, or Guitar
Hero III...

Old August 22nd 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

I mis-remembered the story I quoted. The actual story was the 35% of
new Windows computers are downgraded either at the factory or by
the user shortly after purchase from Vista to XP.

That sounds like an old story. Checked lately?

I tested Vista on one machine in our office. It ran slower than the
same machine with XP.

Which makes your experience about 2 years old. Vista has a much larger
footprint than XP, so you need more of a system to run it efficiently. OTOH,
that's been the case with every new OS for the last couple of decades.

There was a lack of drivers for some fairly
common hardware and this was about 8 months after Vista shipped.

At least some of this is marketing BS. I have a machine that has been
running Vista for about a year, and according to HP, there are no compatible
printer drivers for my printer. Of course, they recommended "upgrading" to a
newer model printer. Well, I just happened to notice that the drivers for
the "newer model" were _exactly the same ones_ as for the printer I had, but
HP's brain-dead installation program wouldn't install the older ones. So, I
installed it manually (via regedit), and it's been working flawlessly since
then.

I'm no fan of Vista, but then I'm no fan of XP or of OSX either. Those of us
that need a lot out of an OS can break any of them without much effort. But,
they'll all handle more than what the vast majority of users need.

MS pretty much knows it built a dog. That's why they have kept pushing
back the drop dead date on XP.

What drop dead date on XP are you referring to? The drop dead date for
Windows 2000 isn't even here yet, and the drop dead date for Win98 was less
than a year ago. XP has a long way to go before it's deprecated.