Yep, that big bright yellow ball is the sun.

Old January 29th 05, 04:26 PM
clyde woempner

Default Yep, that big bright yellow ball is the sun.

So I'm off flying-yea.
Clyde

Old January 29th 05, 07:25 PM
Dan Luke

So I'm off flying-yea.

I managed to get up and down before it came out. 1.1 hours of "actual"
and 3 approaches.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 30th 05, 10:59 PM
Bob Fry

I live in Davis, in California's Central Valley, which is notorious
for its radiation fog which can last for days or weeks in the winter.
Between that and the rain storms, we haven't seen much sun at all for
a two to three weeks.

But today was different. A modest storm had passed through a few days
ago, clearing the air, and Davis was sparkling in a north
breeze...visibility 50 to 100 miles. So after breakfast I headed to
the airport, performed a chilly preflight and longer-than-usual
warmup, and took off to the north, with the intention of flying east,
towards Sacramento, then down the Yolo Bypass flood plain to the
Delta.

Departure on runway 34 at University Airport is a left-hand pattern
and requires an early turn left of runway heading to avoid overflying
housing directly north of the field. So it wasn't until downwind that
I finally took a look east towards where I wanted to go. To my
surprise there was a sea of fog from just east of the Bypass, covering
the city of Sacramento and extending north and south as far as I could
see.

Playtime!

I crossed over the Bypass and turned south, losing altitude to skim
along just above the fog. Small flocks of ducks and geese were flying
too and I had to be alert to avoid them. But what a thrill to float
above this endless ocean of cloud, gently turning back-and-forth to
dodge the small buildups and fly in the cotton canyons.

I wished I had brought my camera and a digital video recorder, because
the conditions and opportunities to fly them are rare. Once again I
was reminded of the great privilege to possess and fly my own
airplane, when and where I wanted. A good day today.
Old January 31st 05, 12:52 AM
clyde woempner

I can relate, I was in your area (sacto) last ) Tue, wed, Th., and the
weather was nasty, but on the way home (Eureka area) we hit more rain, and
Friday it was starting to clear out.
Yesterday & today flew to acv for breakfast, really nice, maybe tomorrow to
Hayfork, Irene's serves up a nice lunch, but it will have to be after my
flight physical in the morning.
Clyde

Old January 31st 05, 12:57 PM
Denny

Same deal here in Michigan... Between the 'annual' taking 7 weeks,
followed by 3 weeks of absolutely scum weather on the few days I had
time to fly - below zero, winter storms, etc. - it finally improved
briefly Friday and Saturday... Sunday, had mist blowing off Lake
Michigan with a North East wind, and 1500 foot ceilings and brief
periods of near zero-zero (I flew a bit anyway... So, the Hobbs shows
ten hours for the three day period... Interestingly, Saginaw Bay is
iced over and there are thousands of people out on the ice, fishing,
snow mobiling, etc.. As every year, there are a few who manage to
either break through the ice, or drive ten miles offshore to the very
edge of the ice shelf and hang around until their slab pulls loose and
starts heading for Canada and the Coast Guard has to go fetch them...
Sunday, the wind was onshore, so I didn't see any floes headed for the
northwest passage bearing ice shanties, et. al...

Late Saturday afternoon I got a plaintive call from the wife - Are you
still alive? I was, so she insisted we go to dinner, (and I had been
thinking of night flying, which some of the other guys on the field did
until midnight, and then started a barbeque that lasted until 4am)
Denny

Old January 31st 05, 01:14 PM
Jay Honeck

As every year, there are a few who manage to
either break through the ice, or drive ten miles offshore to the very
edge of the ice shelf and hang around until their slab pulls loose

Having grown up in Wisconsin, I am familiar with this lunacy known as "ice
fishing"...

Although I spent my early years ridiculing ice fishermen, when my son became
old enough to try it we were invited by an acquaintance to join them for a
day on the ice. For some reason, it sounded like a good thing to do with my
boy -- kind of a father/son bonding experience. And, after all, there were
hundreds of people on the ice, seemingly having a great time -- maybe I had
underestimated the sport?

Well, after freezing my a** off for several hours, staring at a hole,
sipping at an ice-cold beer and catching NOTHING, I realized that the people
who habitually ice fish really *are* dumb as a box of rocks. And the ones
who catch an ice flow to Canada represent the worst of the worst.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 1st 05, 01:21 AM
clyde woempner

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

now-now, you might be talking about someones pet rock.

Clyde

Overall yellow Fw-190A-6 ??? Vicente Vazquez Military Aviation 5 April 20th 04 12:05 AM
Extreme Reaction Force: U.S.E.R.F. drops the ball ... *.* Military Aviation 10 March 14th 04 06:01 PM
Yellow tags Mike Z. Owning 13 February 21st 04 01:23 AM
SS exhaust ball joints Stu Home Built 1 January 3rd 04 10:34 PM
Yellow, yellow. Fil330 Owning 1 November 2nd 03 03:13 PM