King Mountain

Old May 10th 15, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]

Default King Mountain

I'm planning an Idaho soaring trip this summer, searched ras and checked out the King Mountain website.

Would like to hear from people with experience at King Mountain about task planning in the area. Looking to do some 300-500km training flights in a two place glider and longer flights in my single seat ship.

Thanks,
Jim Dingess
Old May 10th 15, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

I usually do 2 or 3 300k triangles out of Mackay during our 2 week safari in August. King Mountain is usually my last turnpoint, but you could easily start finish there.
I usually go North to Grouse Mountain, (Near Challis) and then over to near Smiley Creek airport and then back to King Mountain.

Brian
HP16T N16VP "V6
Old May 12th 15, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

JIm, King Mountain is a great and friendly place to fly 300-500km scenic flights.
The link below will show you the 2009 flights, the first year King opened. You can change the year to more recent years, but I think you will find more long flights posted in the earlier years. Partlialy my fault
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0... t=olc&sp=2009

Ramy
Old May 12th 15, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]

Thanks, Ramy and Brian,

I'm looking forward to flying there. Was able to look at the flights on my Ipad in SeeYou, looks like a fun place to fly.

Jim
Old May 12th 15, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey, Jim let's see if we can add to Ramy's long flights. I particularly want to fly over Yellowstone and back Hope to arrive on Sunday, see you there!

CH
Old May 12th 15, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]

On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 7:46:14 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hey, Jim let's see if we can add to Ramy's long flights. I particularly want to fly over Yellowstone and back Hope to arrive on Sunday, see you there!

CH

Don't think I can keep up with Ramy but will try to get some good distance in.

I'm looking forward to flying somewhere new. It looks like direct to the Tetons from the King Mountain area would be over the valley. Wonder if the locals stay north on the mountains then cut south. Flew the cub with Kemp years ago from Driggs to Gardner, Montana. The terrain didn't look very land out friendly.

Jim