Pilots Arrested for Disability Payments

Old July 20th 05, 05:50 PM
Aluckyguess

I met a guy with one arm.
"Hilton" wrote in message
nk.net...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050719/...ility_payments

Old July 20th 05, 05:58 PM
Hilton

Richard Riley wrote:

It's also not clear from the article, but some of these guys may have
gotten a 3 year third class medical before their injury.

You 'self certify' everytime you fly.

Hilton

Old July 20th 05, 06:45 PM
Allen

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message
I met a guy with one arm.

Was he flying for hire AND drawing disability? I have one arm, fly for a
living but I am not on any type of disability.

Allen

Old July 20th 05, 08:09 PM
Allen

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
Go to the Feds site ,
Being disabled does not mean you can not fly, but if you are disabled

do not see how you can fly for hire. Amputees fly airplanes , can they get
a commercial cert?

I lost my left arm in a hunting accident when I was fifteen years old. I
learned to fly with a steel hook and got my private certificate. Later went
to work for an FBO as a line boy, got my Instrument, Commercial and then the
CFI. Couple years later got my CFI-I and MEI. (Examiner made me take the
check ride from the left seat and then the right seat, I guess to be for
sure-for sure). A few years back I got the ATP. I have flown corporate
and FAR 135 in several types of jets.

So yes, amputees can get a commercial certificate

Allen

Old July 20th 05, 08:11 PM
W P Dixon

Well Heck!
That's just too cool! I had seen a few sites with people with disabilities
flying, but I was unaware they could get commercial ratings! I think that is
great! Unluckily my condition would not allow the commercial or even a PPL ,
but it is really cool that amputees can and do fly commercial.
SSDI says they can work part time, just will be a matter of lying on one
medical or the other. I have no doubt that some at least were trying to
scam. I do agree with you playing it both ways seems somewhat unethical,
even downright unethical in a few of them I would imagine.

Patrick

"Sylvain" wrote in message
W P Dixon wrote:

Being disabled does not mean you can not fly, but if you are disabled
I do not see how you can fly for hire. Amputees fly airplanes , can they
get a commercial cert?

yes. I am paraplegic and hold a valid class-II (and have a commercial
ASEL and AMEL) and have been flying for hire (not as much as I'd like
though -- hey, any one needs to ferry something somwhere? :-), and
I am not alone (google International Wheelchair Aviators for more
details -- some of us hold class-I and are ATP); I don't get (nor
have I ever applied for) disability benefits (I don't think I'd
qualify) and do work for a living though. And I do find it somewhat
unethical to be playing both ways, but then again I don't know these
guys circumstances.

--Sylvain

ps technical details: I did have to do two 'medical flight tests'
with a FAA inspector, one when I got my class-III and another
one when I upgraded to class-II (and I'll have to do it again
when/if I upgrade to class-I); not really a check ride, just
enough to conving the inspector that I was safe; first one was
made in an ASEL and the second one in an AMEL (not required, but
the inspector said he'd be curious to see me fly one if I didn't
mind, and I never mind flying a twin :-)

Old July 20th 05, 09:25 PM
Dave Butler

Hilton wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050719/...ility_payments

I wonder whether their pilot certificat numbers were the same as their social
security numbers, and if so, would they still have been able to do the matching
if the numbers were different?

I don't condone anyone lying to either the FAA or SSA, or to their doctor, but
isn't this the kind of database data mining that the privacy watchers have been
warning us about if we continue to use our SS numbers to identify ourselves for
non-SS purposes?

Dave

Old July 20th 05, 10:36 PM

Dave
You got it! I began squawking about this over 20 years ago and got
poo-pooed as a radical......UmmmHmmmm I also forecast one day having a
number visible to special equipment tatooed on everyones forehead and
it all ties into a govt computer base. Back in the mid 60's I forecast
that all pilots would eventually have to have an instrument rating
starting with the commercial pilots and look what happened?! National
Identity number, papers, ummmm ...............
I'll be dead by the time it all takes place but its not far off.
Ol Shy & Bashful with an AOPA number of 0198581 if that dates me...|!

Old July 20th 05, 10:41 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Dave Butler" x@yy wrote in message
Hilton wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050719/...ility_payments

I wonder whether their pilot certificat numbers were the same as their
social security numbers, and if so, would they still have been able to do
the matching if the numbers were different?

I don't condone anyone lying to either the FAA or SSA, or to their doctor,
but isn't this the kind of database data mining that the privacy watchers
have been warning us about if we continue to use our SS numbers to
identify ourselves for non-SS purposes?

Dave

Well the government is sending them a check every month. I think they should
do more than checking other government records to see if they are commiting
fraud.

Would you consider it a privacy violation if they went after people who were
getting SSI checks and they noticed those same people were getting pay
checks?

Old July 21st 05, 01:02 AM
Franklin Newton

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, Richard Riley said:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:42:25 GMT, "Hilton"
wrote:

:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050719/...ility_payments

OK, some of the conditions listed - like schiz or a heart condition -
would disqualify you from a medical. But a bad back? I think some of
these guys are going to walk away from this one. If their AME knew

Call me a wooly headed liberal, but if you're receiving disability
payments, should you be, like, disabled or something? If your bad back
doesn't disqualify you from flying, it doesn't disqualify you from working
a desk job or driving a truck either.

Disability payments are supposed to be a safety net, not a hammock.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"But what...is it good for?"

We have a Sheriff's deputy in San Joaquin county who is drawing a disability
retirement from another enforcement agency, so getting the money doesn't
really mean you're really disabled.

Old July 21st 05, 01:51 AM
Jim Buckridge

They certainly established that it was a murder. The girl was found
found beaten and strangled in her own basement. You must be thinking
of someone else.