Which taildragger

Old August 16th 05, 08:29 PM
Dudley Henriques

wrote in message
ups.com...
I HIGHLY recommend Rich Stowell for primary aerobatics.
Fly safe
Rocky

So do I!
DH

Old August 16th 05, 09:39 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Deborah McFarland" wrote in message
I vaguely remember thinking I should be making more money as an
instructor around takeoff time :-))))
Dudley

Mine only has brakes on the left side.

Doesn't that make you go in circles?

Old August 16th 05, 09:49 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-08-16, Deborah McFarland wrote:
I like my heel brakes. I guess it takes a real woman to handle them ;-).

You know it's not really heel brakes that I find a problem. I otherwise
love flying the Auster we use for towing gliders. However, it has a free
castoring tailwheel. Our runway is hard surfaced. In a quartering
tailwheel, you must use the brakes for directional control since the
rudder is totally ineffective, and the tailwheel is free castoring.

However, it's not just that they are heel brakes (which makes depressing
the rudder pedal fully and applying braking more difficult) but the fact
they are connected to cable operated drum brakes whose effectiveness
varies from minute to minute. On a hard sufaced runway or taxiway, when
taxiing (and because the brakes are so ineffective and being a
taildragger, forward visibility isn't so hot, you must taxi slowly and
with low enough power there is insufficient prop wash over the rudder)
you have to inevitably accept you will need to do one or two 360 degree
turns if you make too big an S-turn when trying to see forward.

On grass it's less of a problem. The drag of the grass means you need a
touch more power (more prop wash over the tail) and makes the aircraft
track more straight anyhow. It's probably the only way anyone found that
terrible braking system adequate!

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old August 16th 05, 09:52 PM

xxx wrote:
So here I am in sunny (OK, heavy marine layer overcast) southern
California. Always looking for interesting/stupid/expensive
things to do, I see that there are a lot of outfits here offering
taildragger instruction, some aerobatic, some spin training,
some just tailwheel endorsements.

They use a variety of aircraft: Cubs, Aeroncas, Decathalon and
more.

Is there a significant difference between these different airplanes
when it comes to the initial learning about handling a taildragger?

Others have discussed the aircraft. I'll put in a plug for Sunrise
Aviation down at John Wayne. They have four Decathlons, a Citabria,
2 holer Pitts and an Extra 300. More importantly, I thought the
instruction I got there last year during an aerobatic refresher was
first rate. (Nice web site, too.)

Have fun with whatever you choose, rick

Old August 16th 05, 10:54 PM
gregg

W P Dixon wrote:

I chose a Champ for my tailwheel training because I did not think I
would like flying from the back seat in a Cub for one. And number 2 was
the visiblity from the Champ from being in the front seat. I figured while
you are learning, seeing may actually be a pretty important thing!

Depends, somewhat, on the ultimate objective. I preferred getting my TD
endorsement in the Cub BECAUSE you flew from the back and visibility is
limited. But this is because I intend to work my way up to other Warbirds,
like the Mustang (FUDH) and others, where the visibilty up front isn't so
hot.

But if Big Schnozz flying isn't the objective, then maybe it doesn't
matter.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Old August 17th 05, 12:26 AM
Michael

Is there a significant difference between these different airplanes
when it comes to the initial learning about handling a taildragger?

There are differences. What you would consider significant is another
matter. Let's just say that in my opinion that wouldn't be the most
important factor.

If at all possible, pick the one that allows you to solo. If you have
a choice, choose the one that allows solo with the most reasonable
minimums.

Those operations that can get insurance for solo rentals with
reasonable minima have a proven track record for teaching pilots the
things they need to know to operate a tailwheel airplane without
wrecking it. Insurance companies are far from perfect, but they have a
way better idea of what qualified instructor means than the FAA does,
and having no other information, you're way better off going with their
judgment than not. Way more important than the difference between the
various little taildraggers.

Michael

Old August 17th 05, 12:35 AM
Robert M. Gary

Depends what you want. I've had a Decathlon, Cub, and Aeroca Chief.
At this point if I were in the market for another tailwheel, I'd
probably go for the Aeronca. Why? It was just a fun plane. The
Decathlon was too modern. Full electrical system electrical starter,
radios, etc just takes a bit of the tailwheel fun out of it for me. The
Cub looked good on the ground but honestly, it flys like an old Ford
pickup truck sucking up any little bit of turb it can find. There isn't
much hands off flying in the J-3. The PA-18 I flew was much nicer
though.

-Robert

Old August 17th 05, 03:44 AM
George Patterson

W P Dixon wrote:
I don't have near the time as any of you, but in a taildragger I love
the heel brakes. I think it makes breaking a tailwheel loose easier than
if you had to do it pointing your toes out!

I did some of my tailwheel conversion training in a PA-18. Just one occasion of
needing to use the brakes while holding full rudder against a strong crosswind
made me very appreciative of toe brakes. I was very glad my Maule had them.

George Patterson
Old August 17th 05, 05:39 AM
Morgans

"gregg" wrote

But this is because I intend to work my way up to other Warbirds,
like the Mustang (FUDH) and others, where the visibilty up front isn't so
hot.

Wow, that is ambitious! Do you have connections, or a plan to get the
connections to fly a Mustang, or are you rich? g
--
Jim in NC