Which taildragger

Old August 17th 05, 09:39 PM
gregg

Morgans wrote:

"gregg" wrote

But this is because I intend to work my way up to other Warbirds,
like the Mustang (FUDH) and others, where the visibilty up front isn't so
hot.

Wow, that is ambitious! Do you have connections, or a plan to get the
connections to fly a Mustang, or are you rich? g

HAHAHA I have no connections and I'm not "rich" - tho my kid is grown, I
have a good paying job and - most importantly - not married ;^)

So I have money to spend and that's how I'm spending it.

But mostly I have dogged determination, a goal, and a plan.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Old August 17th 05, 09:48 PM
W P Dixon

Nah Nah Saville,mostly you don't have a wife!!!! HAHAHA Mine is so tight her
shoes squeak when she walks Of course she has to be that way, or I'd have
even more tools and airplane parts!!!!!

Oh and for anyone looking for a Luscombe and instructor, a new EAA list of
CFI's for sport pilots is online and there are 3 listed that have
Luscombe's. So just for everyones info I'll list them here and you won't
have to try to look them up.

Brian Kissinger
O'Fallon , IL
618-628-0041

Andrew Mueller
St Louis Sport Aviation, LLC
St Louis, MO
314-779-7197

Monte Jestes
Stillwater, OK
405-372-8015

They have email addys but I didn't want them spammed to death from here so
go to the EAA website to get those

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old August 18th 05, 12:12 AM
Dudley Henriques

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote:

The thing with brakes on an airplane is to learn right off the bat where
and
when to use them properly, and then HOW to use them properly. All good
pilots, especially tail wheel pilots, should be capable of extremely
careful, delicate rudder and brake application, and know through proper
training when to use brake and how much can be used without losing the
airplane.

I agree 100% with this. The best pilots know how much brake
they can use if they need it, and use their skill to not
ever need it :-) Of course the only way to get that skill
is to practice.

Teaching in a taildragger, one of the maneuvers I like is to
run down the runway, lift the tail, then throttle back and
taxi/fly on the mains all the way down the runway,
throttling back and finishing the exercise by carefully
lowering the tail to the runway. It simulates the first
part of a takeoff (good in XWind training) and the last part
of a wheel landing, without requiring quite the finesse of
the touchdown portion of the wheel landing. Five or six
times back and forth on the runway this way and crosswind
aileron use, elevator use, etc. become much more automatic.

It can and should be done with no brake, but when a student
gets it wrong and heads for the weeds, the brakes are nice
to have :-)

Another time I use them is when practicing the absolute
shortest landing possible. Knowing how much brake can be
safely used at each speed is really a valuable skill.

I liked the "run on the mains" on the runway as well, and used it often
myself. Another thing I liked and used was a set of two wooden stands we
made, each with a vertical post and horizontal arm. Attached to the end of
each arm was a white string that hung down vertically. I'd place the two
stands to give exactly a one foot horizontal clearance on either side of the
wingtips on a tailwheel airplane I was checking someone out in. Then I'd
have the pilot plan a taxi approach requiring a 90 degree turn designed to
put the airplane between the hanging strings without touching either
one......WITHOUT THE USE OF BRAKES!
This required some planning, but was a wonderful way to get my pilots
thinking ahead of the airplane while taxiing.
It also saved me having to replace a hell of a lot of brakes!! :-))
Dudley

Old August 18th 05, 02:43 AM
Morgans

"Deborah McFarland" wrote

BTW, there is a jet Luscombe. It's called the Speedbird. See
http://ronkilber.tripod.com/luscombe/luscombe.htm

Way cool! I want one!

Anyone out there want to buy me one for my birthday? g
--
Jim in NC
Old August 18th 05, 09:41 AM
Deborah McFarland

""W P Dixon" Ya know I never could get him to give me a stright
answer about a prop strike."

The prop dug out a trench in the pavement. That engine was toast!

Deb

--
1946 Luscombe 8A (his)
1948 Luscombe 8E (hers)