Flying into NYC for Thanksgiving Day Parade

Old November 21st 05, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying into NYC for Thanksgiving Day Parade

Hello all,

I was thinking about flying the family up to NYC to see the Thanksgiving Day
Parade.

Anyone recommend an airport to fly in to?

I would rather not rent a car, just get into town somehow and then the walk
or cab it while in the city.

Flight would be flown IFR from Norfolk (ORF) to wherever near NYC. Any
preferred routes/arrivals would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Old November 21st 05, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Doe wrote:

I was thinking about flying the family up to NYC to see the Thanksgiving Day
Parade.

Anyone recommend an airport to fly in to?

I would rather not rent a car, just get into town somehow and then the walk
or cab it while in the city.

Teterboro (KTEB) is probably the closest in terms of commuting into
Manhattan. I commuted there weekly during the summer of 2004 for business
on the Island.

Car service from the airport to midtown is about US $80 to $100 one way.
You could also take the train or the bus. Millionare, the FBO where I
parked, provided free transportation to the train or bus stop. Both were
about 5 minutes away from the FBO, both stops were outdoors, and both were
not places at which I felt comfortable standing alone after dark. The bus
takes you to Port Authority bus terminal snd the train takes you to Penn
Station.

In terms of cost, the train was about $6.00 per person and the bus was
about $2.50 from their stops near TEB. In the end, I opted for the bus
since it was faster, even during rush hour. You can get both schedules
online.

The bus is the New Jersey Transit bus #165. Here is the schedule:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0165.pdf

The train is the New Jersey transit, Pascack Valley line, transferring in
Secaucus Station. You need to fill in some information to see your
schedule, he

http://www.njtransit.com/sf_tr_schedules.shtml#

--
Peter

Old November 21st 05, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Doe wrote:

I was thinking about flying the family up to NYC to see the Thanksgiving Day
Parade.

Anyone recommend an airport to fly in to?

IFR or VFR?

If you're coming in VFR, it's nice to pick an airport on the same side
of the class B as you are, all other things being equal. I come from
the north, so it's trivially easy to get into Teterboro (KTEB) or
Caldwell (KCDW) VFR. IFR, you can get some funky routings no matter
what you do. You'll be coming from the south, so I don't know what
would work best. Linden? (I've never tried it).

I've found that Republic (KFRG), Caldwell, and Teterboro all have
similar costs for tie-down and fuel. From Republic, you get a lift in
the FBO van to the LIRR station and take the train into Penn Station;
from Teterboro, you take an expensive taxi/limo ride or a cheap bus to
the Port Authority. From Caldwell, an expensive car/taxi is
pretty-much your only realistic choice.

Personally, I plan to stick with Teterboro from now on, because I fly
in from Canada, and Teterboro has customs onsite at Atlantic Aviation
(so I don't have to make an extra stop in Massena). It's on the wrong
side of the class B for you, though.

Best of luck,

David

Old November 21st 05, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

David Megginson wrote:

Linden? (I've never tried it).

Linden is an interesting little airport, almost like a country airport but
shoved under an 800' shelf of a class B.

That has consequences. First, if you're not comfortable flying near a class
B, you won't like it. And I do mean *near*. If you're 1" too high in the
pattern, you're in class B.

You can get into Linden w/o talking to ATC, but I'm the chatty type. One
trick people use is to follow the GPS approach. Follow it (laterally and
vertically) and you'll stay out of the class B.

Another consequence it that it's not a busy airport with multiple 24x7 FBOs.
If you're there during business hours, you can get a cab easily enough. I
don't happen to know if there's even a payphone or a board listing taxi
companies if you're there off-hours, though.

You can get a taxi to the local NJTransit stop.

TEB is probably easiest in terms of no-rental-car transit into the city. At
CDW, transit options are pretty poor. The Mac Dan FBO, though, rents cars
on the field (for which I'd recommend calling ahead).

- Andrew

Old November 21st 05, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Besides the others mentioned, you have MMU (Morristown, NJ). They have a
Signature FBO.
It's about five minutes away from Convent station that's a straight shot
into Penn Station, which is on 34th Street, west side, which is where you
want to be. Their vans will take to the station (don't know about the
return trip from the station) Taking the train to/from Penn Station is
preferable to a bus to/from Port Authority. MMU is far less busy than TEB (a
consideration if you're flying in Wednesday) . There are hotels nearby too.

http://www.bba-aviation.com/flightsu...locations/mmu/

Also, there's HPN (White Plains, NY), a bit further away.

Old November 21st 05, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"David Megginson" wrote in message
oups.com...
John Doe wrote:

[...]

Republic sounds tempting vs TEB. How long is the train ride to Penn
Station?

Old November 22nd 05, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Doe wrote:

Republic sounds tempting vs TEB. How long is the train ride to Penn
Station?

It's about an hour. Trains run roughly every hour, but I understand
that during evening rush hour, it's a longer wait to get into the city.
So figure more than two hours from landing to midtown. It's a nice,
quiet little town, though, with a mall right beside the airport (I
didn't go inside).

Someone else wrote about liking to talk to ATC. I like to talk to ATC
as well -- I fly out of what would be a class B airport in the U.S. --
but when you call NY approach from the north flying into KCDW or KTEB,
they'll just tell you to descend and remain clear of class B anyway.

All the best,

David

Old November 22nd 05, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Here's a rollup of FBO prices at TEB for this week:

Signatu $38/night
Atlantic: $25/night
1st Aviation $35/night
Million Air $45/night

Gas prices ranged from $5 to over $6/gallon

Wow.

Old November 22nd 05, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Weather forecast calls for rain and snow on Thursday in the Northeast.
We had planned to fly from KPOU (north of NY city) to Hartford, CT but
most likely will just drive there.

Hai Longworth

Old November 22nd 05, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"David Megginson" wrote in message
ups.com...
John Doe wrote:

Republic sounds tempting vs TEB. How long is the train ride to Penn
Station?

It's about an hour. Trains run roughly every hour, but I understand
that during evening rush hour, it's a longer wait to get into the city.
So figure more than two hours from landing to midtown. It's a nice,
quiet little town, though, with a mall right beside the airport (I
didn't go inside).

Someone else wrote about liking to talk to ATC. I like to talk to ATC
as well -- I fly out of what would be a class B airport in the U.S. --
but when you call NY approach from the north flying into KCDW or KTEB,
they'll just tell you to descend and remain clear of class B anyway.

Am I reading the chart right, As far as the class B airspace goes, if I come
right up the coast and stay below 1500' can I thread the airspace between
jfk and newark and fly right over 'ground zero' on my way to TEB?

Is the NYC ADIZ no longer in effect?