Almost mid-air video

Old May 8th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Almost mid-air video

If the airport has a very long runway, then a small aircraft could
takeoff and reach pattern altitude before the end of the runway.The
same is true for an approach. A go-around would also place an aircraft
next to the runway where jumpers might be descending.

Leonard Milcin Jr. wrote:

Taking in mind that everybody is circling *around* the airport or being pretty
in line with runway on pretty low altitude that should not pose a problem?

No airplane is supposed to be ,,next to the runway'' or enywhere higher up
from that point, am I right?

Leonard

Old May 8th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...

If the airport has a very long runway, then a small aircraft could
takeoff and reach pattern altitude before the end of the runway.The
same is true for an approach. A go-around would also place an aircraft
next to the runway where jumpers might be descending.

Doesn't even have to be a "small" plane, just a good climber, lightly
loaded, or both.

Old May 8th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

My airport has active jump operations... The divers are a threat to
aircraft, buildings, vehicles, and people on the ground... Their
operation is purely a pain in the butt... They cause planes to have to
break off and circle to avoid them.. The last encounter I had, 3
airplanes had to circle for just shy of 20 minutes while the jump plane
dropped students at two different altitudes, who immediately popped
their chutes and leisurely floated down..
We just recently had a jumper out of control land on top of one of the
hangars then slide off the roof hitting a car and breaking his leg...
While we don't have tiedown airplanes on our field that car could have
been my plane sitting on the ramp...
The jump pilot is a relatively nice guy, but his habits are a pain...
He makes one cryptic announcement on unicom a few minutes before the
jumpers leap then right as they leap, and if you immediately call him
back to query as to exactly where they are he won't answer... When I
confronted him on this he says he is too busy with configuring the
plane, talking to ATC (13 miles away on another frequency, and keeping
the jumpers in sight as he descends to answer the unicom calls... In
addition the two calls he does make on unicom are easily missed (and
usually are) in the unicom chatter on a busy weekend and the meat bombs
appear out of no where.....
In a sane world jump operations would be reserved to a jump field...

denny

Old May 8th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a sane world jump operations would be reserved to a jump field...

Fly into Deland, Florida, someday, to see chaos in the sky. Two twin
Otters, continually dumping meat bombs over an incredibly busy GA
airport. There's not a moment when the sky isn't full of canopies.

The fact that only one or two jumpers have been killed is, quite
simply, miraculous, in my humble opinion. It's also a tribute to the
skill and cooperative nature of pilots.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 8th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-05-07, Chris Ehlbeck wrote:
But it doesn't
make sense to me to jump out a perfectly good airplane either!

If you've ever seen a skydiver jump ship, you'll realise that they are
NOT jumping out of perfectly good airplanes!

The adage is make the jump ship scary enough that the skydivers don't
want to ride it back down to a landing, but not quite scary enough that
the pilot doesn't want to ride it back to a landing...

Old May 8th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:
Sky divers are supposed to notify ATC and there are NOTAMS.
Not everybody really knows or follows the rules.

Jump areas are supposed to be approved, but hey, a lot of
jumpers break into buildings, climb bridges and otherwise
break the law.

Yep. NOTAM at Waller CC, Waller County Texas, watched a 172 go
lumbering right through a crowd of folks under canopy in beautiful VFR
conditions at 5000' right over the field. I was under canopy there too.
Interesting sight. I always wondered if the pilot (1) was aware of
the NOTAM (2) didn't hear the "jumpers away" call (3) was amazed to see
all these big birds around him (4) had to change his shorts upon landing.

Richard
Old May 8th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I hear jumpers away calls all the time in my area. They are always over an
airport. I have never heard a call that was not over an airport. On top of
that, the jumpers away calls are very fast and mumbled. I think they have
some kind of policy to say it three times, so they rush through it as fast
as they can. I can never make out which airport it is at. I personally would
take a bit more time knowing someone's life may depend on it.

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Newps wrote:

And the approved area will never be at the airport, always away from it
unless it is for some kind of airshow type demonstration.

Around here, we have several airports where the jump area is right over
the airport. The jumpers land in the grass next to the runway.

I understand that, that happens all over the place. But have the FAA come
over to your jump club for a Wings type safety presentation and have the
nice FSDO person give you all the FAA reccomendations for jump operations.
They will always reccomend that the landing zone be a few miles away from
the airport, well outside the normal traffic patterns.

Old May 9th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I believe that it's perfectly legal to fly NORDO. Tough to hear "Jumpers
Away" under those circumstances. Of course, if I'm NORDO, I'm going to be
very watchful, particularly near an airport.

Old May 14th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

B A R R Y wrote:
On 5 May 2006 17:47:34 -0700, "Flyingmonk"
wrote:

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/11...by_an_Airplane

Guy almost hit by airplane while skydiving.

A few years ago, we had a C172 vs. skydiver @ Northampton, MA.

The pedestrian knocked the tail off the plane and suffered a broken
leg. All aboard the aircraft perished.

Cherokee not a 172, back in 1993.

Old May 14th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Flyingmonk wrote:
http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/11...by_an_Airplane

Guy almost hit by airplane while skydiving.

The Monk

No, airplane almost hit by meat bomb.