generator mufflers

Old July 14th 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Default generator mufflers

Ok, so it's not an airplane but it is related. I'm going to Oshgosh and
will be camping. Anyone have an idea on how to make my 70db generator
quieter besides not running it?
Lou

Old July 14th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
john smith

In article .com,
"Lou" wrote:

Ok, so it's not an airplane but it is related. I'm going to Oshgosh and
will be camping. Anyone have an idea on how to make my 70db generator
quieter besides not running it?
Lou

Put it inside a foam lined box.
Old July 14th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot

On 14 Jul 2006 04:35:22 -0700, "Lou" wrote:

Ok, so it's not an airplane but it is related. I'm going to Oshgosh and
will be camping. Anyone have an idea on how to make my 70db generator
quieter besides not running it?
Lou

trade it in on a four stroke honda generator.
Old July 14th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"john smith" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Lou" wrote:

Ok, so it's not an airplane but it is related. I'm going to Oshgosh and
will be camping. Anyone have an idea on how to make my 70db generator
quieter besides not running it?
Lou

Put it inside a foam lined box.

It will shortly overheat, seize and be very quiet using this advice.

Rich S.

Old July 14th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

"Rich S." wrote in message
"john smith" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Lou" wrote:

Ok, so it's not an airplane but it is related. I'm going to Oshgosh and
will be camping. Anyone have an idea on how to make my 70db generator
quieter besides not running it?
Lou

Put it inside a foam lined box.

It will shortly overheat, seize and be very quiet using this advice.

Rich S.

Actually, it will run out of oxygen and stop long before it overheats.

Jim

Old July 14th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

Lou wrote:
Ok, so it's not an airplane but it is related. I'm going to Oshgosh and
will be camping. Anyone have an idea on how to make my 70db generator
quieter besides not running it?
Lou

Your approach will differ depending on your requirements. Are you
trying to make it quieter for you neighors or yourself?

Neighbors will be happier if your run the exhaust into a galvanized
bucket filled with water. The exhaust, via suitable hose (few are) or
flexible metal tubing. should extend BELOW the water level. There
should be a top on the bucket, vented around the edges to direct the
much reduced noise DOWN. ASCII art:

/--------------! !--------------\
/ ! ! \
\ ! ! / Exhaust exits bucket here
\_______!__!______/
\ ! ! /
\ Water /
\____________/

The lid should be as stiff as possible, or it will re-transmit the
throbbing.

If it's your sleep that's disturbed, you need to take other measures.
ALL transmission paths must be addressed. This means soft mounts for
the genset itself, AND soft connections for everything that attaches to
it. The barrier between the genset and the rest of the RV needs to be
stiffer, heavier, and more resilient.

http://www.soundproofing.org/ has lots of good advice, and products to
implement all these strategies.

Old July 14th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
karel

"Stealth Pilot" schreef in bericht
On 14 Jul 2006 04:35:22 -0700, "Lou" wrote:

Ok, so it's not an airplane but it is related. I'm going to Oshgosh and
will be camping. Anyone have an idea on how to make my 70db generator
quieter besides not running it?
Lou

trade it in on a four stroke honda generator.

or even better, for a couple of photo-voltaic panels

Old July 14th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
karel

"Morgans" schreef in bericht

"karel" wrote

or even better, for a couple of photo-voltaic panels

That will be quite the photo-cells to run an air conditioner, and more.
If
it can't make me cool at night, why bother! g

For a nightly chill I recommend my first wife.

Old July 14th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_3_]

"karel" wrote

--
Jim in NC

Old July 15th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ken Finney

"karel" wrote in message

"Morgans" schreef in bericht

"karel" wrote

or even better, for a couple of photo-voltaic panels

That will be quite the photo-cells to run an air conditioner, and more.
If
it can't make me cool at night, why bother! g

For a nightly chill I recommend my first wife.

Was she adopted? I think I may have married her twin sister!