Rec.Aviation OSH report

Old July 31st 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default Rec.Aviation OSH report

Jay Honeck wrote:
Two people died in that crash. This morning a
TBM taxied into an RV6 killing the passenger.
http://www.thenorthwestern.com/apps/.../60730005/1987

God, that's awful. That must've happened mere minutes after we
departed...
--

It happened before we left. We saw all the emergency equipment
just north of the displaced RWY 18 threshold where we departed
Old July 31st 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Paul,

The article says the passenger was able to stay afloat using a seat
cushion,

Crossing the lake without life jackets?

People do it all the time. I had students up there who thought there
was NOTHING wrong with being outside of gliding range from shore.
"What's the big deal? I can land in water and just swim back..."

Unfortunately, it's very hard to teach intelligence.
Old July 31st 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

connect20.salliemae.comOn Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:29:01 -0500, Emily
wrote:
People do it all the time. I had students up there who thought there
was NOTHING wrong with being outside of gliding range from shore.
"What's the big deal? I can land in water and just swim back..."

Then they were a better swimmer than I am... In the main body of Lake
Michigan, it's 50 nm at the closest point... That's 25 nms of
swimming... Maybe a bit less if the person heads directly towards the
closest shore upon initial detection of engine problem... I'm a good
enough swimmer that I might be able to eventually make it to shore, if
hypothermia doesn't get me first... When I crossed it after an Oshkosh
trip a few years back, I had two life vests in addition to an
inflatable air mattress that could have probably been used as a raft
in an emergency... I'm not sure which would have been worse though --
swimming back to shore of trying to blow up the air mattress with just
my lungs...
Old July 31st 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Grumman-581" wrote in message

Then they were a better swimmer than I am... In the main body of Lake
Michigan, it's 50 nm at the closest point...

It's about 43 1/2 NM between Rawley Point on the west and Big Sable Point on
the east.

Old July 31st 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I took life vests and flew as high as my non-oxygen equipped
airplane would fly (12,000' if memory serves) when I crossed in 1995. I
figured I had only a few minute where I was out of gliding range, but it
was a long few minutes!

Matt
Old August 1st 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Ron Natalie wrote:
Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address) wrote:
Oh no. Another one down leaving OSH about 6 hours ago.

An American Legend Cub lost engine power over Lake Michigan about 4
miles out from Chicago.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...gepromo440-fea

I heard that mayday call, it was chilling. We were about
30 miles SE of Gary (we had landed there for lunch...we had
booked out of OSH without eating to get out before the airshow).
We still had Gary Tower dialed up when the call came in. I
started to turn around and put the Chicago Approach frequency
in but they were already vectoring a Gary departure to the
area to look.

And Chicago FD has to fish these aviators out; what no one willing
to wait for the USCG ???

Who on RAP said that Chicago's authority only goes 1 mile out ??

Old August 1st 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

I can't imagine what those two would have been doing in Oshkosh this time of
year...

Apparently, the Chicago Trib has no pilots of any kind on staff. The Sun
Time did better but not much.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address) wrote:
Oh no. Another one down leaving OSH about 6 hours ago.

An American Legend Cub lost engine power over Lake Michigan about 4 miles
out from Chicago.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...gepromo440-fea
The article says the passenger was able to stay afloat using a seat
cushion, but he got separated from the older pilot. They haven't been
able to find him as of 10 PM CDT.

The article also says it was unclear what the two were doing in OSH. Um,
ok.

Old August 1st 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

You could be up at 3000 feet there so it could have been gliding distance.
However, they were reportedly going into Gary so maybe they were staying
low.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
An American Legend Cub lost engine power over Lake Michigan about 4
miles out from Chicago.
The article says the passenger was able to stay afloat using a seat
cushion, but he got separated from the older pilot. They haven't been
able to find him as of 10 PM CDT.

The article also says it was unclear what the two were doing in OSH.

The real question is: What's a Cub doing beyond gliding distance from
land? The Chicago VFR cooridor is right over the shoreline, so
there's no need to be 4 miles out.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 1st 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

4 miles out isn't exactly crossing the lake. Of course, that is where they
ended up. Reportedly they were going into Gary so they wouldn't have been
much further out if they had followed a straight line from KOSH.

I haven't heard much detail from the the passenger's story. All I heard was
that they thought they were having engine trouble. Maybe they were trying to
nurse it into Gary.

--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old August 1st 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

Chicago Police authority goes out 3 miles but they are not shy about sharing
with USCG-AUX. No life so cheap as to be territorial.

--
Travis
wrote in message
ups.com...