Rec.Aviation OSH report

Old August 1st 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default Rec.Aviation OSH report

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Roger" wrote in message

I know many who cross the lake single engine and do it regularly
myself and have for years. Life jackets are a necessity as I can't
swim but the lake is too cold for long survival even in summer.

So you wear the life jacket so your body may be found?

Sure, it gives the family closure.

Matt
Old August 1st 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Dan,

Two flying prototypes...vaporware?

Proof of concept, not prototypes.

No, they are prototypes. The concept of light jets was proven decades
ago so Honda isn't proving any concept with their Jet. Likewise,
composite light planes are a proven concept as well so neither is Cessna
proving any concept. I'll bet if they move to production the production
versions will look a lot like these prototypes, thus confirming that
they are prototypes.

Matt
Old August 1st 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Thomas Borchert wrote:

Dan,

Two flying prototypes...vaporware?

Proof of concept, not prototypes.

No, they are prototypes. The concept of light jets was proven decades ago
so Honda isn't proving any concept with their Jet. Likewise, composite
light planes are a proven concept as well so neither is Cessna proving any
concept. I'll bet if they move to production the production versions will
look a lot like these prototypes, thus confirming that they are
prototypes.

Matt

I am guessing that for tax purposes, calling it a "proof of concept" is
better than calling it a "prototype".

Old August 2nd 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Stella Starr

I set out in a C-152 one nice summer day to fly across Lake Superior at
the narrow end, not so far from Duluth. The cloud cover was thin
overhead but it seemed lower ahead, and after realizing it had the
potential to A: drive me into the water scud-running, or B: make me
discover the that rising shore on the other side went up into the
clouds, I retreated and flew the long way around the shore.

I'm a great swimmer. But I've waded in Superior. It feels like dunking
your feet in a Coke full of ice, even when it's 88 up in the air.

http://www.coas****ch.msu.edu/

This indicates places along the south shore where, after a week or more
of onshore temps pushing three digits, the water temp's in the 30s.

I'd bet a couple miles from shore, Michigan is no picnic either.

Old August 2nd 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Matt,

No, they are prototypes.

If you want to call them something different than Cessna, do it. Cessna
calls them proof of concept. Both of them. And I've seen enough
"marketing speak" to have an idea just why they might do that.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)