Thielert (Diesel Engines)

Old February 15th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Default Thielert (Diesel Engines)

Bertie,

That doesn't address anything.

You're almost as funny as MX with your taking things out of context at
will. He's better at it, though.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 15th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Bertie,

Go **** yourself.

You need to learn to behave yourself at least to minimal standards
before any further discussion with you makes sense. Also, wrt your
other posts, you need to learn that an opinion is not the same as fact.
This is all pretty basic. How old again are you?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 15th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:26:01 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Hmmm, could be. Lots of turboprops have fadecs now. The latest Pratts, I
beleive. I was having this ocnverstation with an FO who had come off a
Dash-8 and he told me the latest version of it ( Q400 or something?) had
them. I said "yeah, but they don't have this problem with power, though,
surely" and he told me that they probably did since power was definitely
required to run the fadec. They tell us very little about the innnards
of these fuel units, but I cant see them icencing an airliner without
enough system seperation to ensure that one failure doesn't kill two
engines at once.

At least in the Meridian they have a manual override lever which is
directly connected to the FCU via cable linkage. I know it's not
FADEC, but maybe they have a similar emergency mode in the -8.

I can't see the point of having a Twin star when it can effectively be a
single engine airplane if the lights go out.
i know someone who bought one on behalf of his club and he agreed with
me that it was a feature of the design, but insisted that it will NEVER
be a problem as long as you follow the POH. If anyone here besides
Anthony, met this guy RL, No more confirmation would be necessary that
this was a baaaaad idea.

The specific problem the crash flight had (draining the battery and
killing the FADECs) was corrected via AD requiring backup battery to
the FADEC in case you screw up the ships battery. Each engine has a
FADEC, each engine has it's own alternator and backup FADEC battery.
For that specific problem they've now put in redundancy.
Old February 15th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Thomas Borchert wrote in
:

Bertie,

That doesn't address anything.

You're almost as funny as MX with your taking things out of context at
will. He's better at it, though.

Yeah right. nice try.

bertie
Old February 15th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Thomas Borchert wrote in
:

Bertie,

Go **** yourself.

You need to learn to behave yourself at least to minimal standards
before any further discussion with you makes sense.

Behave myself?

Lessee, you made a national slur and you're saying that I need to behave
myself?

Go **** yourself and your sister and her donkey.

And as to dscussion, you gave up on that looooong ago. Clinging to a lost
cause is not discussion.

Bertie
Old February 15th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Peter Clark wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

But the fadec still relies on electrics to make the engine run.

I knew about the AD, BTW.

Bertie

Old February 15th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Morgans,

The choice not to have that feature on this particular engine is, no
doubt,
an economic decision.

No, no and no again. This is not the diesel Americans are used to from
their
boats and trucks. Modern car diesel engines require electronic control.
Google
common rail.

I agree with Bertie., as to what you can go do to yourself.

You are a pinhead, that thinks all Americans are ignorant, I guess. So go
fyourself.

I am quite familiar with modern electronic control on diesel engines. Could
there have been an option to shut down the automatic injection, and go to a
backup manual fuel control that lets the engine run at say, 80% ?

You bet your ass, there could have been an option like that included. Why
is it not included? Money. Economics. Period.

Do I have to make that any clearer to you, since you are a European? Let me
know if I have to simplify it for you.

Not very nice to have someone talk down to you like this, is it?

You should try not doing it to us, if you don't want it thrown back in your
face.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 15th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

WingFlaps wrote:

I see your point and I think it's a good one. As I said before, I
smell the rat of marketing...

Cheers

You keep want to blame Marketing. Sure they may have said we need to
have an easy to use FADEC system but it was the engineers that decided
not to have the limp home mode.
Old February 15th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Gig,

Sure they may have said we need to
have an easy to use FADEC system but it was the engineers that decided
not to have the limp home mode.

In a way, they do (if not in the way it used to be installed in the
DA42): the emergency battery. I guess what I'm trying to say is: This
engine is different than the old Lycs and TCMs. Doesn't mean it's worse.
Just different.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 15th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Gig,

Sure they may have said we need to
have an easy to use FADEC system but it was the engineers that decided
not to have the limp home mode.

In a way, they do (if not in the way it used to be installed in the
DA42): the emergency battery. I guess what I'm trying to say is: This
engine is different than the old Lycs and TCMs. Doesn't mean it's worse.
Just different.

What I'm trying to say is that the way the FADEC is enabled in the
Thielerts and the way it is in some newer Lycs is different. In the
Thielerts there doesn't seem to be a limp home mode.

Wingflaper or what ever his name is seems to want to take any negative
comment about the Thielert engine as an attack on the very idea of
aviation diesels and that their very nature of being new that mean old
USAians don't like them.