Viable alternatives for serious aviation discussion

Old August 21st 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Abbott

Default Viable alternatives for serious aviation discussion

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Rocky Stevens writes:

I do not actually disagree with people on this NG any more than I do
with people on the AOPA forum (though being new to aviation, I do not
have many strong opinions yet). What I get from the moderated groups
is a much higher signal to noise ratio, as overly personal attacks are
avoided. I think that because people know they will be blocked if they
post some asinine attack, it forces them to put some actual content
into their posts.

A tremendous number of moderated discussion forums have long lists of
unofficially favored and disfavored members. The favored ones routinely
engage in personal attacks and other "violations" with impunity, whereas
the
disfavored ones are often accused of violations even when they haven't
committed any. There are _very_ few moderators who can stay cool,
distant,
and objective no matter what happens. Most intervene prematurely, too
invasively, and with extreme prejudice (the less experience they have, the
worse they are).

Bull****. Most moderator would be smart enough to throw you out at the first
or second attempt to troll.

Old August 21st 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Abbott

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
No2 writes:

Nothing?

I'm impatient with stupidity; my people have learned to live without it.

Injustice and cruelty tend to irritate me (although that is closely linked
the above).

What if you get your Dick caught in your zipper when you are late for
a meeting and the boss is right next to your urinal while you writhe in
agony??

That has not occurred to me.

It takes a real man to not get ****ed at that!

I don't see why it would make anyone angry; it would just be unpleasant.

That's because you have no penis. Once more your opinion jaded by a lack of
experience.

Old August 21st 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Abbott

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
Dudley Henriques writes:

It most certainly does work this way. If the student doesn't graduate a
good pilot, the instructor has failed. Therefore the instructor by
definition isn't the good instructor in your example.

I wasn't thinking of the graduation. After the pilot graduates, he
flies. A
good pilot is someone who flies well even years after doing what is
necessary
to get a license. The same applies to drivers of cars, doctors, lawyers,
and
so on. It's one thing to pass a test; it's another to stay competent
and/or
perhaps improve over long periods. Instructors have no control over
that.

Anything you say Anthony. I've reached that point where it's time to say
I'm not interested in changing your opinion.

--
Dudley Henriques

Oh, don't stop now, you just got him wound up.

Old August 21st 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Abbott

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
RST Engineering wrote:
But Dudley, you must admit, sometimes polishing a turd is impossible.

Jim

Either way, the responsibility lies with the instructor. The student is
the workpiece the instructor must complete.

--
Dudley Henriques

This of course assumes the instructor passes everything that comes through
the door. This might work for some instructors. GOOD instructors engage in
an ongoing evaluation of each student they take on. If at ANY time the
GOOD instructor realizes that a specific student isn't developing the
required attitude or attitude change as the case might be, it's incumbent
on the instructor to at that point call in an outside evaluation for that
student; the continuance of instruction to be decided after that
evaluation.
For good CFI's, the question of money or profit doesn't enter the picture
when evaluating a student's attitude toward flying.
There are indeed instructors out here who don't operate this way. For
them, the fact that the student exists on the schedule is a consideration.
Not so for the instructor doing the job properly.
It is admittedily a two way street. Each student must be given the very
best the instructor has to offer. In return, the instructor must DEMAND
the same from the student.
There can indeed come a time with a specific student showing signs of an
"attitude issue" where an instructor should disengage. Some CFI's can do
this, some won't. It's a personal choice for the CFI.
Personally, I have had several students with "bad attitudes" that did not
respond directly to instruction designed to change that attitude. To
eliminate myself as the source of the failure to communicate, I in each
case had the affected student evaluated by another instructor. In every
instance (3 in all) the student was evaluated with an attitude problem by
the second instructor. None of these 3 students were graduated from our
program. I can't speak for their eventual disposition within the training
system.

GOOD CFI's don't graduate students with bad attitudes into the system.

--
Dudley Henriques

You can say more and explain less than a junior high school girl.

Old August 21st 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Dudley Henriques writes:

Anything you say Anthony. I've reached that point where it's time to say
I'm not interested in changing your opinion.

Starting a discussion with the intention of changing someone's opinion is
often a highway to disappointment.

Confucius?

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 21st 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Abbott

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

If you are reading anything "complicated" into what I have said, I'm
afraid you might be misinterpreting or misunderstanding the entire point.
Flight instruction in NO WAY has to be complicated, and instructors who
over complicate things with the way they interface with a student might be
in need of some added instruction themselves.
Don't read over complication into a written explanation. In practice, what
you are reading is actually the epitome of simplicity :-)

--
Dudley Henriques

Then how did you ever give instruction.

I'm sure you could lecture a have hour on just the door latch.