Viable alternatives for serious aviation discussion

Old August 19th 08, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Viable alternatives for serious aviation discussion

Once again I will post below for anyone interested in serious aviation
related discussion the following alternative web based newsgroups. I
will repost this notice periodically.
Many of the pilots who used to post here are now posting at the
following forums. It's a slightly different format from Usenet but in
lieu of what's happening on RAP, you just might want to take a look at
these alternatives.

Reading the answers that follow this post might help to serve as an
added incentive for you to give these groups a try. :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/index.php

Also, Jim Logajan is experimenting with setting up a Google Group.

Old August 19th 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Aug 19, 5:13*am, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Once again I will post below for anyone interested in serious aviation
related discussion the following alternative web based newsgroups. I
will repost this notice periodically.
Many of the pilots who used to post here are now posting at the
following forums. It's a slightly different format from Usenet but in
lieu of what's happening on RAP, you just might want to take a look at
these alternatives.

Reading the answers that follow this post might help to serve as an
added incentive for you to give these groups a try. :-))

--
Dudley Henriqueshttp://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/index.phphttp://www.purpleboard.net/~purplebo/forums/index.php

Also, Jim Logajan is experimenting with setting up a Google Group.

OK we get it you don't like Usenet anymore. Please don't spam the
group about it.
Old August 19th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Aug 19, 7:44 am, buttman wrote:
[...]

Pot kettle?: Except the kettle ain't black.
Old August 19th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tater

"buttman" wrote in message

Please don't spam the
group about it.

It's been a long time since I've posted anything, even though I read
regularly and
try to sort out what good posts remain.

I don't think he's spamming the group .. I think he's providing a valuable
alternative to
those who might wish to have a place to go to so that they can participate
in
respectful aviation discussion. This place used to be top notch .. but it's
been taken
over by a few that for whatever reason have been working on destroying it.
And it's
working. The sites he posted are moderated and the slime balls that post the
crap
here would be booted out of those sites.

Old August 19th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dudley Henriques writes:

Many of the pilots who used to post here are now posting at the
following forums. It's a slightly different format from Usenet but in
lieu of what's happening on RAP, you just might want to take a look at
these alternatives.

Reading the answers that follow this post might help to serve as an
added incentive for you to give these groups a try. :-))

Pilots who have left this newsgroup will be replaced by more pilots. There
are plenty of pilots in the world.

Moderated forums and groups typically have a stifling atmosphere,
unfortunately.
Old August 19th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"tater" wrote in message
m...

"buttman" wrote in message

snip
The sites he posted are moderated and the slime balls that post the crap
here would be booted out of those sites.

Perhaps, but so would slime balls that advertised other forums on those
"sites" ad nauseum.

Old August 19th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rocky Stevens

Also, http://forums.aopa.org/
Old August 19th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

I can count the number of pilots I know on my appendages without taking off
my pants. I know THOUSANDS of airplane drivers, though.

Jim

Old August 19th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

buttman wrote:
[...]

Life is full of choices. The person reading this could have been engaged
on the forums suggested in discussions on angle of attack, student
training, pre-solo instruction, tail wheel transition, and assorted
other topics being actively discussed.
Not for everybody for you obviously, but others may find the dialog a
bit more challenging than that which you offer here.

More about "Buttman" pasted in below for anyone interested;

D Henriques writes;
Although I have elaborated on this several times before on these forums,
I'll be more than happy to do it again here and now so that there can be
absolutely no misunderstanding as to why I view you as incompetent as a CFI.

You posted AS a CFI on these forums asking if shutting down the fuel on
takeoff with a student was a "good idea". You did this by your own word
in your initial post on the issue AFTER you had already done it with at
least one student. So right off the bat, you, posting as a CFI, were
asking a forum of pilots whether or not something you had already done
with a student was a good idea. This in itself constitutes extremely
poor PIC/CFI judgment as it establishes that you performed a specific
procedure with a student in the aircraft that at the moment you
performed that procedure you were not sure was safe and correct to perform.
This alone would disqualify you with me as a potential CFI hire.

Now, on to the rest of it.

When the fallacy of what you did was pointed out to you not only by
myself, but several other CFI's, instead of accepting the fact that what
you did might have been unsafe, you instead have consistently and ever
since not only attempted to defend the procedure with statements about
the length of the runway etc, but have actively engaged in an open
attempt to portray me as a know it all with some kind of a superiority
complex.

In summation, what you did by shutting down the fuel on take off with a
student was bad enough, as it's not necessary to do this to stress a
point and/or demonstrate an engine failure on takeoff. The reason for
this is quite simple. NO good instructor EVER deliberately puts a
student in a situation that purposely reduces or alters the existing
flight safety options. By selecting the fuel selector valve to OFF on
the takeoff roll, you deliberately put the student in unnecessary danger
by altering the escape option if power was needed to extricate the
aircraft from any unsafe condition that might arise on that takeoff.

What you did was not only unnecessary, it was unsafe!

The fact that you have chosen to challenge rather than simply thank the
instructors who have attempted to set you straight is an indication of a
personality trait I find freightening in a CFI.

I hope this post has answered any questions both you and others might
have had concerning this issue.
As you can see, I have addressed it quite clearly.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 19th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Rocky Stevens wrote:
On Aug 19, 7:13 am, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Once again I will post below for anyone interested in serious aviation
related discussion the following alternative web based newsgroups. I
will repost this notice periodically.
Many of the pilots who used to post here are now posting at the
following forums. It's a slightly different format from Usenet but in
lieu of what's happening on RAP, you just might want to take a look at
these alternatives.

Reading the answers that follow this post might help to serve as an
added incentive for you to give these groups a try. :-))

--
Dudley Henriqueshttp://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/index.phphttp://www.purpleboard.net/~purplebo/forums/index.php

Also, Jim Logajan is experimenting with setting up a Google Group.

Also, http://forums.aopa.org/

The AOPA groups are a fine alternative as you say. The only reason I
ommitted them is because I believe they require membership in AOPA to
access them. To do that I'd actually be spamming the group. The forums
I'm recommending are free access.
I agree with you that if anyone is willing to join or is already a
member of AOPA, their forums would indeed be an alternative to Usenet.
Not sure about the membership requirement however. Will check on this.

--
Dudley Henriques