CAVU and I'm Grounded!

Old March 7th 04, 08:40 AM
Javier Henderson

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Going over the logs once again last night (about the 4th time...) it
suddenly hits me - there's no record of a 24 month transponder check!!!
Grounded!!! Of all the checks we did on the pre-purchase, that one

slipped
by. Shame on me. And it is one heckuva beeeyoutiful day out there.

*sigh*

You grounded your plane on a VFR day because the transponder hasn't been
checked in 24 months?

Turn the stupid thing off and go fly!

If it's installed, it's gotta be checked every 24 months.

Of course, you could:

a) Remove it (tools needed: 3/32" Allen wrench qty 1)

or

b) Label it "INOP"

Then, go fly the sucker outside of the areas that require a transponder.

-jav
Old March 7th 04, 02:12 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm confused, did the transponder quit working just because the 24 month
checkup is up??? If it was working, who's going to know that it hasn't

been
checked?

Precisely my point. Unless the original poster has some new device that
disables his transponder at 24 months, he can fly it forever, and who the
heck would know?

And, unless he's flying IFR, who the heck would care?

Trust me -- ATC will let you know if your transponder isn't working.
(Heck, they got to know us well, before we finally replaced ours. "Oh, it's
you guys again. Third digit still not working?")
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 7th 04, 02:33 PM
Carl Orton

Tried to reply last night, but I screwed up..

I'm inside the DFW Class B ring - gotta have one.

This was to be my first flight in my first airplane. I have not rec'd my
insurance policy even, yet. I've "heard" that insurance wouldn't pay if you
screwed the FARs.

First flight of my first bird (an unknown quantity) = a bit more risk than
I would take if I had been flying it for some time.

AS IT TURNED OUT, I went out to the airport anyway, and was crying on my
A&P's shoulder. He mentioned that he happened to see the instrument shop's
door open, and suggested I go talk to that guy.

I went in and introduced myself, and the guy set me up for an appointment
later this week. As we were talking, and I was telling him about just
getting the plane and all, he said, "oh what the heck", grabbed his ramp
tester, and said "let's go get you certified". Which we did, so I flew. And
flew. And had a great time.

Nice guys *do* exist in aviation!

Carl

"Carl Orton" wrote in message
ARRRRGHH!

Just took possession of a '67 172 on Monday. Aside from work obligations

and
IFR weather in the DFW area the past week, I was really really really
looking forward to this morning (Sat) to take my first flight alone in the
new bird.

Going over the logs once again last night (about the 4th time...) it
suddenly hits me - there's no record of a 24 month transponder check!!!
Grounded!!! Of all the checks we did on the pre-purchase, that one

slipped
by. Shame on me. And it is one heckuva beeeyoutiful day out there.

*sigh*

Oh well; that's the joy of aircraft ownership, I guess.....

Carl

Old March 7th 04, 02:46 PM
Rosspilot

Nice guys *do* exist in aviation!

You sound surprised at this. OF COURSE they do . . . and in a higher
percentage than in the general population (in my experience). I could reel off
scores of examples where friendly FBOs, mechanics, and other pilots have
extended a helping hand to me over almost 30 years of flying. From opening
after hours to get me fuel, to providing cars for ground transport, to letting
me copy needed approach plates, to making small repairs
for NO money . . . the comraderie among GA is among it's biggest attractions.
www.Rosspilot.com

Old March 7th 04, 04:28 PM
Newps

BTIZ wrote:

Can't do that around here Jay... inside the 30nm ring of a ClassB airport..

When you fly and your transponder/encoder is out of date just tell the
controller to disregard the little flashing icon next to your tag that
tells us you are not legal.

Old March 7th 04, 04:28 PM
Newps

Javier Henderson wrote:

If it's installed, it's gotta be checked every 24 months.

Of course, you could:

a) Remove it (tools needed: 3/32" Allen wrench qty 1)

or

b) Label it "INOP"

Then, go fly the sucker outside of the areas that require a transponder.

Just go fly fer Christs sake.

Old March 7th 04, 05:11 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Greg Burkhart wrote:

What is this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=2464375 296

Dunno, but the fact that it has a postlight and a "serviceability tag" spelled
aircraft to me.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old March 7th 04, 05:33 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 08:33:51 -0600, Carl Orton wrote:

getting the plane and all, he said, "oh what the heck", grabbed his ramp
tester, and said "let's go get you certified". Which we did, so I flew. And
flew. And had a great time.

When it comes time to do avionics work you would do well to remember this
guy, we need to support all the good guys we find. Congratulations.

Old March 7th 04, 06:03 PM
Carl Orton

When I said "nice guys *do* exist.." I didn't mean it as surprising. It was
a confirmation!

First thing I said to this guy as we were wrapping it up was "do you do
radios, too?" but unfortunately he just concentrates on pitot/static stuff.
Which is great - don't get me wrong. I most definitely will patronize him -
Stahl Air Instruments at NW Regional (52F).

Old March 7th 04, 06:33 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:PHr2c.66520$PR3.1084780@attbi_s03...
Going over the logs once again last night (about the 4th time...) it
suddenly hits me - there's no record of a 24 month transponder check!!!
Grounded!!! Of all the checks we did on the pre-purchase, that one

slipped
by. Shame on me. And it is one heckuva beeeyoutiful day out there.

*sigh*

You grounded your plane on a VFR day because the transponder hasn't been
checked in 24 months?

Turn the stupid thing off and go fly!

You need the transponder check even for VFR. I suspect he's close enough
to the class B to require it.