F-14 vs. F-15 accel.

Old December 24th 04, 08:17 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:54:41 -0600, "John Carrier"
wrote:

Only the Navy would take such great pleasure in devouring its most promising
young.

R / John

Nah, the AF does it too. It's a "darwin" thing in which the careerists
are threatened by the warriors.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
Old December 24th 04, 09:03 PM
Dave Kearton

"wdossel" wrote in message
| On 24 Dec 2004 03:10:53 GMT, (Elmshoot) wrote:
|
| | 'twas my first FNAEB that I honchoed at AIRLANT...
|
| - RIO wasn't boarded as he was busy with the TCS and thought the pilot
| was going through a sim until the missile banged off the rail
| - pilot OTOH never gave a truly satisfactory explanation (and it
| wasn't a switchology goof as he tried one side, didn't get a shoot
| and switched to the other missile). At the CNAL board he went on
| about how he thought it was a rogue pilot making a suicide run on the
| carrier. At which point the ranking VF guy on the board pointed out
| (none too gently and almost standing on the table):
| - he had seen the RF-4 come off the TENN ANG KC-135 and followed it
| inbound
| - he had flown against other country's F-4s and hadn't shot them
| down
| - rivalries aside, the USAF really was on our side...
| As the recorder I was able to see the expressions on all involved and
| to say the board members were incredulous, well, that just falls short
| of the looks I saw...
|
| Pilot ended up with a B1 (terminate flight status - retain right to
| wear wings) though there was a strong recommendation that went up for
| B2...
|
| Funny thing (in retrospect) was that when the RF-4 crew was recovered
| onbd the CV, they thought their engine had exploded and were extremely
| grateful for the quick recovery -- until the embarked flag broke the
| news to them in sickbay :0
|
| Will Dossel
| Last of the Steeljaws (VAW-122)

Thanks Will,

Sounds like another area where 'near enough' just ain't quite close enough.

Some days I just get blown out by the fascinating place that the Internet
is.

-

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old December 25th 04, 08:12 AM
Matt Wiser

Ed Rasimus wrote:
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:22:11 -0000, "José Herculano"
wrote:

Isn't there an oxymoron embedded in that statement? Is it done by

Nope. One is standard color, the other in Adversary cammo. =))
_____________
José Herculano

Now that you've raised the curtain, I begin to see all sorts of
dissimilarity opportunities in 1-v-1 with the same type of aircraft:

1.) Could be a male versus a female.
2.) Could be operational vs a nugget.
3.) Could be instructor vs a student.
4.) Could be one with live ordnance and one without.
5.) Could be from different squadrons.
6.) Could be one single vs one married.

There's no limit to the same aircraft dissimilar opportunities when
operating under budget constraints.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org

How about brother v. sister in DACT? The AF had a brother v. sister DACT
in PACAF a couple of years ago: she was in F-15s out of Okinawa, he was in
a Kunsan F-16. The AF news article didn't say who won, though. One can imagine
the radio chatter, however.
Brother: "Mom always liked you best!"
Sister: "This is for crashing my slumber party!"
And other insults/fighting words usually spoken by angry siblings...

Old December 25th 04, 09:13 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 25 Dec 2004 01:12:23 -0600, "Matt Wiser"
wrote:

How about brother v. sister in DACT? The AF had a brother v. sister DACT
in PACAF a couple of years ago: she was in F-15s out of Okinawa, he was in
a Kunsan F-16. The AF news article didn't say who won, though. One can imagine
the radio chatter, however.
Brother: "Mom always liked you best!"
Sister: "This is for crashing my slumber party!"
And other insults/fighting words usually spoken by angry siblings...

And, you should know that the pair were the children of Col. (ret.)
"Lucky" Ekman--one of the finest F-105 pilots ever to strap on the
airplane and probably the holder of the greatest number of F-105 North
Vietnam combat missions.

Lucky flew his first 100 North in D models, in late '65 and into '66.
He extended (even before Richter) and got up to around 130 counters
when he was shot down on May 30 '66 near Yen Bai on the Red River. He
was recovered and elected to return to the US. He became a Wild Weasel
and returned for another tour flying the F-105F and G models.

When I returned to Korat in '72, Lucky was deployed with the 561st WW
squadron, flying the F-105G during Linebacker I/II. I had the good
fortune to fly his wing on several combat sorties as the F-4 portion
of the Hunter/Killer team. He was already wearing a patch that said
200 mission NVN/F-105G!!!!!!

I guess there is something to that heredity thing.

As Paul Harvey would say, "now you know the rest of the story."

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
Old December 26th 04, 04:08 AM
Rolf T. Kappe

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 13:13:25 -0700, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

On 25 Dec 2004 01:12:23 -0600, "Matt Wiser"

And, you should know that the pair were the children of Col. (ret.)
"Lucky" Ekman--one of the finest F-105 pilots ever to strap on the
airplane and probably the holder of the greatest number of F-105 North
Vietnam combat missions.

From www.af.mil

OSAN AIR BASE, South Korea — Capt. Ken Ekman and his sister, 1st Lt.
Katie Ekman came to their first aerial duel over South Korea during
air-to-air combat training recently.
Ken flies an F-16 Fighting Falcon with Osan’s 36th Fighter Squadron
and Katie flies an F-15 Eagle for the 67th Fighter Squadron, Kadena
Air Base, Japan.

Six Eagles were supposed to have “jumped” four Falcons in a mock air
battle. But a glitch took four F-15s out of the fight. So the clash
was a bit of a mismatch, Ken said.

Who won? Neither will say. Both did say they’d never forget the fight.

The Ekmans are a flying family. Their dad is former Air Force fighter
pilot. Ken took to the air in a glider at age 16 and Katie was flying
it as a high school sophomore. With three fighter pilots in the
family, table talk at family get-togethers soon turns to flying.

“Sometimes Mom has to step in and tell us to knock off the ‘shop
talk,’ ” Ken said.
— Staff Sgt. Gino Mattorano

Old December 26th 04, 08:37 AM
Matt Wiser

wrote:

[...]

Has there been a father v. daughter? Telling the guys that your "little girl"
beat you in DACT may or may not be a good thing....
There may be sister v. sister now as well.

Old December 26th 04, 03:20 PM
Pechs1

Doug- What Gregory L. Vistica did to Wigs and others like him to earn his
Pulitzer is nauseating. BRBR

That **** head Vistica called me post Tailhook, since my squadron had a suite
on the third floor during that ill fated TH. When I said I didn't see/hear
anything but a wild party, by lots of men and women, both civilian and
military, he was genuinely disappointed he got no dirt from me.

BTW-I was on the third floor until about 4am on Sunday and I didn't see or hear
anything that could remotely be construted as a gauntlet, sexual harassment or
anytimg else that the flag or press or the bitch Schroeder talked about.

Some woman grabbed my ass when I walked by tho...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 26th 04, 03:34 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 12/26/04 1:37 AM, in article , "Matt Wiser"
wrote:

Has there been a father v. daughter? Telling the guys that your "little girl"
beat you in DACT may or may not be a good thing....
There may be sister v. sister now as well.

LT Janet "Jake" Jacobsen--Navy F/A-18 pilot about 1998 or so fought her
father, LtCol Jacobsen the commander of Tucson ANG F-16 unit in the R2508.
Not sure, but I think Dad smoked her.

--Woody

Old December 26th 04, 03:52 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 12/26/04 8:20 AM, in article
, "Pechs1"
wrote:

SNIP
BTW-I was on the third floor until about 4am on Sunday and I didn't see or
hear
anything that could remotely be construted as a gauntlet, sexual harassment or
anytimg else that the flag or press or the bitch Schroeder talked about.

I was up there too (my first and only TH). The gauntlet was real. It was
down by the elevators around midnight to 1 AM. IIRC there was a huge crowd
most of the evening around the hall just dumping off of the elevators. I'd
avoided it all evening by going around the patio outside and cutting through
the suites to get to the far end of the hall.

At the time most of it was going on, I was "living in the past" at the
Training Wing suite catching up with old friends when a guy came down and
told us about the gauntlet and the goings on. Not good--groping,
molestation, one gal getting her shirt removed.

The DoD IG folks liked this story about 9 months later. One of the
investigators (bad cop) thought I knew more than I was willing to tell her.
I got pretty heated telling her that had I been there when the gauntlet was
running to see some gal have her blouse ripped off we'd be talking under
very different pretenses--namely assault--because I would have beaten the
tar out of the offending knucklehead(s) myself.

Some woman grabbed my ass when I walked by tho...

One of my favorite quotes from the NIS documents: "I was assaulted all
three times I walked through the gauntlet."

--Woody