Take off

Old May 12th 09, 08:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Fabio

Default Take off

Scan from old slides. Late '60s
Aviano AFB Italy
ciao
Fabio

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Take off 12a.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	34925
Old May 12th 09, 10:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

I assumed these pics were from Aviano as soon as I saw them. I was there
briefly a couple of times during this very period, as a military dependent,
and still remember the cut of the mountains in the background!.

Brian

Old May 14th 09, 12:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

The bad part was that I got there from Rome (where I was living at the time)
to have the medical personnel at the Base evaluate the case of Hepatitis B I
had contracted. Obviously, I got over it, though I was flat on my back in
bed for 63 days straight during the school year, and after my return to
school was a good year getting my strength fully back.

The great part was how I got to Aviano. My Dad was a rated USAF pilot
stationed at a pointless little "flight service" unit at Ciampino Air Base
outside Rome after doing a year in Vietnam. There were two USAF C-47s at
Ciampino, and he was able to fly me up there and back twice in the one his
unit could use to log hours and get monthly flight pay.

THAT was fabulous! A bucket seat in a shaking, vibrating and noisy WWII
era aircraft looking out the window at the R-1830 and Ham Standard prop
scant feet away, plus a few stretches where I got to take the controls in
the pilot's seat as we headed North. And the absolute best part was sitting
on the engineer's fold out jump seat just behind and between the two pilots'
seats as we made a steep descent and landing approach, then touched down on
the runway with those dramatic mountains off to the left. THAT's why I
remember them so vividly. The sight is really burned into my memory.

The two flights up and back in the C-47 were almost worth getting sick!
They were never-to-be-forgotten journeys the way flight was meant to be
experienced, versus the antiseptic, sardine can misery of flying commercial
today.

Brian
Old May 16th 09, 08:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Fabio

Looks like the best part was worth the deal. I can't find a pic of the C-47
you probably flew but it should be somwhere..
Take care
ciao
Fabio

g.com...

Old May 16th 09, 10:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Fabio

Default C-130

Sorry but I cant find the C-47. Here is one of the first C-130 arrived in
the early 60s in Aviano
Fabio

"Fabio" ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
Looks like the best part was worth the deal. I can't find a pic of the
C-47
you probably flew but it should be somwhere..
Take care
ciao
Fabio

ha scritto nel messaggio
g.com...
[...]

Name:	C130 3a.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	35000
Old May 19th 09, 12:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Nicholas Bodley[_2_]

On Wed, 13 May 2009 23:08:43 +0000, bdoneill wrote:

The two flights up and back in the C-47 were almost worth getting sick!
They were never-to-be-forgotten journeys the way flight was meant to be
experienced, versus the antiseptic, sardine can misery of flying
commercial today.

You remind me of the TWA trip from NYC to LAX (with a refueling stop in
Denver) in (iirc!) a DC-7 in 1955. I had enlisted, just graduated from FT
(Fire Control Tech) school in Bainbridge, Md., and was assigned to the
U.S.S. Eversole, DD-789. She was home-ported in Long Beach (amazing, huge
floating crane at the shipyard, back then).

I sat near the wing root, and the hours of noise and vibration were, in
all, rather difficult. Ofcourse, the flight took longer, too. Back then,
there was still some of the sense that flying was something special, and
the crew had a sense of pride in being part of flying.

Regards,

nb
who saw no action, only Taiwan patrol

Old June 8th 09, 04:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Fabio:

I will have to check with my father (still alive in his 80s) to see if he
has any photos of the C-47s at Ciampano.

Brian