JS3 chatter

Old January 5th 17, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Default JS3 chatter

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 2:29:45 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 20:28:19 UTC+2, wrote:
I am sure, and have been told by people who have seen it, that it is a good sized cockpit but I can't see the relevance of judging an obviously different newly designed fuselage and cockpit to the ASH 26. The JS1?- fair enough. But not the JS3.

I think this was dicussed earlier, but judging from the photos JS3 fuselage shape is extremely close/identical to JS1 which is "borrowed" aerodynamically from ASH 26. I do not wan't to downplay the importance of new structure, wing-fuselage junction and several other detail improvements, and the design work associated, but general shape still looks identical to '26. Making small size cockpit is just plain stupid, people are not getting smaller in future.

i don't think it's just pain stupid to make a small fuselage. i've watched boyd willat squeeze into his discus A and he's got broad shoulders and probably about 6'. for the guys at the highest level of competition who don't mind the feeling of wearing a glider, a few percentage points of eliminated drag are a big deal.

-ND
Old January 5th 17, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 8:24:23 AM UTC-5, ND wrote:
[...]

also, you can make a long, skinny fuselage, future "A" style fuselages don't have to be short. that can still be narrow though. my understanding is the the V3 has a narrow, but long fuselage to accommodate tall pilots as well..

-ND
Old January 5th 17, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

torstai 5. tammikuuta 2017 16.22.15 UTC+2 ND kirjoitti:

also, you can make a long, skinny fuselage, future "A" style fuselages don't have to be short. that can still be narrow though. my understanding is the the V3 has a narrow, but long fuselage to accommodate tall pilots as well.

-ND

So they say, but no, it does not accomodate tall or wide pilots. The cockpit size is basically the same on all Schempp A-fuselages since 80's Ventus a.. I'm 6'4 and I cannot close the canopy, not even close as large portion of my head is outside cockpit if I wear normal parachute (last tried V2CXA). Narrowness is not particularly big problem for me. Some tallish pilots manage to cramp inside A-cockpit with special parachute that sits on the hat shelf. It looks as enjoyable as travelling inside ski box for 8 hrs.

Waibel solved the compromise between comfort and aerodynamics with ASW 24 fuselage in 80's. It is aerodynamically very close to optimum since it is not designed to big take self launcher engine, quite strong and can take sustainer engine. And most importantly, it is the most beautiful fuselage ever created.
Old January 5th 17, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

=20

=
[...]

Got to wonder SH, two seaters designed to carry two elephants,
single seaters to carry stick insects. FAI should set minimum size
for cockpits or it will only be jockeys wining contests in the future.

Old January 5th 17, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

George moffat was saying the same thing 40-50 yrs ago...
Old January 5th 17, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

At 17:00 05 January 2017, Tony wrote:
George moffat was saying the same thing 40-50 yrs ago...

First practic day results are on the web
Jon

Old January 5th 17, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

http://www.wgc2017.com/

Old January 5th 17, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

At 22:01 05 January 2017, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Interesting to note that team members from other countries are obviously
more practiced at team flying, they seem to finish one place apart.

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 12:45:05 PM UTC-8, Jonathon May wrote:
At 17:00 05 January 2017, Tony wrote:
George moffat was saying the same thing 40-50 yrs ago...

First practic day results are on the web
Jon

I don't trust them could be over watered or dry just to confuse .

Old January 5th 17, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jock Proudfoot