JS3 chatter

Old January 6th 17, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default JS3 chatter

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 6:15:06 PM UTC-5, Jonathon May wrote:
At 22:01 05 January 2017, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Interesting to note that team members from other countries are obviously
more practiced at team flying, they seem to finish one place apart.

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 12:45:05 PM UTC-8, Jonathon May wrote:
At 17:00 05 January 2017, Tony wrote:
George moffat was saying the same thing 40-50 yrs ago...

First practic day results are on the web
Jon

I don't trust them could be over watered or dry just to confuse .

They are weighed at scrutineering (with pilot and chute) to ensure they are under max gross, then again hooked up to the tow vehicle (less pilot) for a reference weight; then weighed daily on the way to the grid and compared to the reference. If they relight and re-water, they're weighed again on the way to the launch point. On practice days, same as when it counts. They could be underweight, but not over. This is standard at IGC Level 1 events (e.g., also done at 1st PAGC in Chilhowee/McMinn (and at WGC Uvalde)).

Old January 6th 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Got to wonder SH, two seaters designed to carry two

elephants,
single seaters to carry stick insects. FAI should set minimum size
for cockpits or it will only be jockeys wining contests in the future.

Come on now... Really? Klaus designed the "a" fuselage for himself
and any other person approximately his size. For everyone else, he
designed the "b" fuselage which has more room in the cockpit. He
started this process with the original Ventus and Discus lines. I am
6'2", and had a Discus-b which I flew in 2 WGC's between 1985
and 1988. I did have to remove the seat back to fit in comfortably
with a normal chute. My head was fairly far back though, so I used
2 small dash mounted mirrors to help with the rear view which was
somewhat obstructed by the rear canopy frame. That small
concession did not stop me from 5th and 2nd place WGC finishes
though.

In 1999, I bought my present Discus-2b which I have had now for
going on 18 years. When I went to test fit in the prototype at the
S-H factory, I was amazed that I could get in with a normal chute,
not have to remove the seat back, lay my legs flat on the floor, and
had to pull back the rudder pedals 2 notches for my feet to be
comfortable. Tilo and Biggo just smiled and said that they had
decided to build a glider that almost anyone can comfortably sit in.
The current S-H "b" fuselage design should accommodate pilots up
to 6'5" with no special mods.

I had to laugh after my test flight in the prototype. Helmut Treiber
(wing designer) asked me if I didn't want an "a" instead. He told
me that he thought I could squeeze into one. I just laughed and
told him that I just wanted to be as comfortable in the cockpit as my
competition was for a change.... My old co-worker buddies at S-H
built me a great glider, and I have never had any regrets with this
one at all. I don't think you will be able to find many of my
competitors bad-mouthing the performance of my glider either, even
though it has the larger "b" fuselage....

RO

Old January 12th 17, 09:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pieter Oosthuizen[_2_]

Congrats team JS!!!
http://www.facebook.com/KranskopGliding

Old January 12th 17, 09:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pieter Oosthuizen[_2_]

Old January 12th 17, 09:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pieter Oosthuizen[_2_]

Old January 12th 17, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Bravo Uys and Attie for the 1-2 finish today. One month since first flight... Wow!
Old January 12th 17, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

TALK LESS....WIN MORE!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!