Szeged WGC, how bad is it?

Old August 2nd 10, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ppp1

Default Szeged WGC, how bad is it?

Hearing the rumours all over, that Szeged WGC is the worst organized
worlds ever. Why these "east block" countries get the comps all the
time? Playing the money card is total BS as if you fly $100K+
machines, you are afford to fly any where.

Any thoughts?
Old August 2nd 10, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sven[_2_]

On Aug 2, 7:46*am, ppp1 wrote:
Hearing the rumours all over, that Szeged WGC is the worst organized
worlds ever. Why these "east block" countries get the comps all the
time? Playing the money card is total BS as if you fly $100K+
machines, you are afford to fly any where.

Any thoughts?

I am not at Szeged, so i cannot comment on Hungary, BUT
Slovakia was VERY well organized, so i think it is unfair to critize
'east block' countries (and not everyone is flying their own $100K+
machines).
Old August 2nd 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ppp1

On 2 elo, 09:34, Sven wrote:
On Aug 2, 7:46*am, ppp1 wrote:

Hearing the rumours all over, that Szeged WGC is the worst organized
worlds ever. Why these "east block" countries get the comps all the
time? Playing the money card is total BS as if you fly $100K+
machines, you are afford to fly any where.

Any thoughts?

I am not at Szeged, so i cannot comment on Hungary, BUT
Slovakia was VERY well organized, so i think it is unfair to critize
'east block' countries (and not everyone is flying their own $100K+
machines).

You are right,

Slovakia is nice exception. But it is world championships, the comp of
all comps. It needs to run well, every single time. We've seen it so
many times when thing did not work on east and sorry to use this word
again, but that where the most hicups always are.(Again, not meaning
Slovakia)
Old August 2nd 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GK[_2_]

You are right,

Slovakia is nice exception. But it is world championships, the comp of
all comps. It needs to run well, every single time. We've seen it so
many times when thing did not work on east and sorry to use this word
again, but that where the most hicups always are.(Again, not meaning
Slovakia)

- Well, maybe you can also refresh your memory with the fact that when
Italy literally dropped a ball only a year before organizing a WGC
after volunteering to do otherwise, Leszno came to help. I did not
hear anyone complaining. As far as "hicups" go, they are always
organized where the popularity is, so you are more than welcome to
start a "hicup" wherever that is you live in, let us now if you can
get a turn out rate of 120+ gliders...
Old August 2nd 10, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 1, 10:46*pm, ppp1 wrote:
Hearing the rumours all over, that Szeged WGC is the worst organized
worlds ever. Why these "east block" countries get the comps all the
time? Playing the money card is total BS as if you fly $100K+
machines, you are afford to fly any where.

Any thoughts?

Yes here is my thought - I don't listen to unattributed and detail-
less "rumors".

Darryl
Old August 2nd 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
andy

On Aug 2, 6:46 am, ppp1 wrote:
Hearing the rumours all over, that Szeged WGC is the worst organized
worlds ever. Why these "east block" countries get the comps all the
time? Playing the money card is total BS as if you fly $100K+
machines, you are afford to fly any where.

Any thoughts?

Perhaps some gung-ho reactionaries are so dim they need someone to
educate them that the Cold War is over.

We were in Wiener Neustadt in 1989, and the Hungarians had just opened
up the border, and you could already notice Trabant motor cars with
East German registrations there, presumably on a long round-about
expedition to visit friends and family in the West.

This led a glider pilots to speculate over a few beers that the Berlin
Wall would fall and there would be pressure for Germany to reunify.
There were also speculative comments about civil war in Yugoslavia and
the complete break-up of the country, rather earlier than some
politicians switched on to the issues.

Not long later, the first competition I attended in Hungary, I put a
few people's noses out of joint on our competitions committee when I
got home, saying it was the best run competition I had ever been to.
That was in 1992.

Whatever the issues with this event, and it's true there are some,
don't be tempted to fit the subject into some sort of cliched
political character assassination based on notions which aren't valid
any more. There are plenty of people in eastern Europe with initiative
and able to think much more clearly than this grade of over-
simplistic and patronising ********.
Old August 2nd 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ppp1

On 2 elo, 21:50, andy wrote:
On Aug 2, 6:46 am, ppp1 wrote:

[...]

Yup, Italy was bad and that never should happen again. Don't take
things out of the contex, word "east" is not ment (and won't) to be
used as political word, just to highlight a region. It is just easier
word to describe it. Only thing I am saying, that when IGC/FAI is
trying to save money giving contesst to cheaper places, the
possibility to running into problems are higher. No one can arque,
that when problems has occurred, MOST of the times competitions has
been on that region. Maybe pilots should have some say also where they
would like to fly? I bet majority is choosing bit "more expensive"
place.
Old August 3rd 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R S[_2_]

On Aug 2, 5:39*pm, ppp1 wrote:
...Only thing I am saying, that when IGC/FAI is
trying to save money giving contesst to cheaper places, the
possibility to running into problems are higher.

This isn't how it works. IGC/FAI doesn't try to save money, and IGC/
FAI doesn't give contests to any places.

NACs submit bids to hold contests, and the delegates to IGC (one from
each country) vote on the bids. The NAC that receives the most votes
is awarded the contest. If you would like to influence your
delegate's vote at the next IGC meeting, just get in touch with him or
her.

You are IGC/FAI.
Old August 3rd 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
andy

On Aug 2, 10:39*pm, ppp1 wrote:
On 2 elo, 21:50, andy wrote:

Whatever the issues with this event, and it's true there are some,
don't be tempted to fit the subject into some sort of cliched
political character assassination based on notions which aren't valid
any more. There are plenty of people in eastern Europe with initiative
and able to think much more clearly than this grade of over-
simplistic *and patronising ********.

[...] Don't take
things out of the contex, word "east" is not ment (and won't) to be
used as political word, just to highlight a region. [snip]

just cut down on the duplicitous and evasive excuses, please

you consciously used the phrase east block, and apparently meant it as
such, implying an opinion that poor organisation must be endemic in
these areas

Accident at Szeged WGC ppp1 Soaring 38 August 3rd 10 08:49 PM
WGC Szeged gallery db Soaring 1 August 1st 10 05:27 PM
Few impressions from WWGC 2009 Szeged (HUN) db Soaring 1 August 4th 09 03:01 PM